PDA

View Full Version : too much flash around base

twc1964
01-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Hello all, i am casting some lee .452-230 tl boolits from a 6 cav mold. I seem to be getting a fair amount of flash on the base . I made sure their was no lead spatter or smears on sprue plate or mold top. I also adjusted the pour spout to throw a smaller stream and that seemed to help somewhat. When i turn down the flow the nozzle tends to freeze up. Any tips or thoughts? This boolit shoots great out my glock and id like it to work a bit better. I really rather not have to cull so many otherwise good boolits. The flash isnt real bad and i usually use my thumbnail to knock off most except the worst ones. Any tips would be appreciated. Thx

Beagle333
01-03-2016, 05:15 PM
If (#1) sprue plate is sitting flat on blocks and you can't see light under it..... are you (#2) casting by holding all three handles? If you hold the sprue plate handle while you cast, it'll cam the sprue plate up from the blocks.

rancher1913
01-03-2016, 05:21 PM
what beagle said. I've had some flimsy sprue plates that were warped and the center holes left some flash, trued up the plate and they work ok. the heavier the sprue plate the better, might have to change it out.

twc1964
01-03-2016, 05:28 PM
I looked at that guys and i really dont see any light but the plate does seem to be humped up in the middle ever so slightly. I guess i could take off the plate and wrap a piece of fine paper around a steel plate i have and true it up as best as possible. I borrowed this mold and dont want to tke it back in poor shape. Im trying to make up a big batch before i take it back also. I already have over 800 cast and coated . Might as well make it an even thousand, lol

bangerjim
01-03-2016, 05:36 PM
If the flash is that thin, just run them thru the sizing die B4 your coat them. I have always have any flash come off in the die with not problems.

If you leave it on and coat and then size, you may end up with a bunch of boolits with bare lead around the base. Not what I would want.

That is the problem with borrowing casting equipment......you can't really fix it! Because it is NOT yours.

banger

vzerone
01-03-2016, 05:53 PM
If the flash is that thin, just run them thru the sizing die B4 your coat them. I have always have any flash come off in the die with not problems.

If you leave it on and coat and then size, you may end up with a bunch of boolits with bare lead around the base. Not what I would want.

That is the problem with borrowing casting equipment......you can't really fix it! Because it is NOT yours.

banger

I've also seen that flashing get swaged into the bullet base when sizing them so I stopped that. Of course I fixed the mold from doing that too!

twc1964
01-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Well, i will true up the sprue plate and give it a try. Thx all

country gent
01-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Check both the sprue plate and blocks tops to be sure they are flat and square. If you have a truly flat surface ( surface plate, pane of glass, something ground) put a light coat of grease or spotting agent on it and rup both parts across it and see what you have. also check for burrs and or dings that may be holding it up. Also check sprue plates tension to the blocks as a worn out spring washer or light tension may allow it to lift easier than it should.

williamwaco
01-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Lee 6 Cavity sprue plates are very bad to warp. I bet yours is warped.

Paint the bottom of it with a black marker then open and close it several tomes and see where the black is NOT wiped off.

twc1964
01-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Well guys, i found a piece of glass and took some #400 wet and dry paper and oil and faced off the sprue plate and the top surface of the mold. The plate sits flat now and the sprue plate glides like its greased. This time the sprus should cut evenly. Thx all for the advice.

Wayne Smith
01-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Your friend will appreciate your efforts. When I borrow a tool I try to send it back in as good or better shape than I received it.