PDA

View Full Version : Finally Brought Home a S&W 19

Kevinakaq
01-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Good afternoon,

About 20 years ago I sold a Smith & Wesson model 19, 4", that I had bought from a pawnshop in Kentucky with my father. Loved the gun and found it exceedingly accurate, but five years later I sold it at a nice margain for some youthfully stupid reason I cannot recollect.

For a few years now I've have had my eye out for a replacement and finally found one today at a reasonable price. It is around 95+ percent condition, a 19-6, and a pleasure to hold. Can't beat these 'smiths' for smooth trigger pull. Serial number begins with bpl which puts it in the 93-94 range I do believe, which is about the same time I bought my first one used. Could use some original grips (my other had pachmyer grips as well though) but I am estatic to have finally found one at a decent price in this condion.

Just sharing my good luck today with my castboolits friends as I am a bit giddy. Has been a while since a purchase made me this happy.

Thanks guys and happy new year,
Kev

Dutchman
01-03-2016, 04:39 PM
I had the Model 66 4" for a number of years. Handloaded a reduced .357 Mag loading using 35893 (358093) and 358156. Much more controllable for double action shooting.

Dutch

lancem
01-03-2016, 05:20 PM
I think I have a set of original grips.

Kevinakaq
01-03-2016, 05:51 PM
I think I have a set of original grips.

sounds promising lancem, would definitly be interested!

Kev

ReloaderFred
01-03-2016, 09:22 PM
I carried the Model 19 as my duty weapon for a number of years until we got a Sheriff who was a "gun guy" and allowed me to upgrade to my Model 57. The Model 19 is a great gun, and will serve you for many, many years. I have them in 2.5", 4" and 6".

Fred

tazman
01-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Good afternoon,

About 20 years ago I sold a Smith & Wesson model 19, 4", that I had bought from a pawnshop in Kentucky with my father. Loved the gun and found it exceedingly accurate, but five years later I sold it at a nice margain for some youthfully stupid reason I cannot recollect.

For a few years now I've have had my eye out for a replacement and finally found one today at a reasonable price. It is around 95+ percent condition, a 19-6, and a pleasure to hold. Can't beat these 'smiths' for smooth trigger pull. Serial number begins with bpl which puts it in the 93-94 range I do believe, which is about the same time I bought my first one used. Could use some original grips (my other had pachmyer grips as well though) but I am estatic to have finally found one at a decent price in this condion.

Just sharing my good luck today with my castboolits friends as I am a bit giddy. Has been a while since a purchase made me this happy.

Thanks guys and happy new year,
Kev

All right. Now I'm jealous.
I have been looking for one of those locally for a year now.

fatelk
01-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Nice. I really like the 4" K-frame. I found a 4" model 66 (no dash) a few years ago, and it's a favorite.

USSR
01-03-2016, 10:16 PM
I have them in 2.5", 4" and 6".

Fred

Ah, great minds think alike.

Don

Thumbcocker
01-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Mrs. Thumbcocker has a 19 4" that is pinned and counter bored. It is very accurate with +p .38 level loads in magnum brass.

376Steyr
01-03-2016, 10:19 PM
You probably know this already, but avoid feeding your M19 125 gr. jacketed ammo. Rightly or wrongly, lightweight jacketed ammo got the blame when Model 19's started getting cracks at the forcing cone. Finding a replacement barrel for a 19 is getting tougher every year.

rondog
01-03-2016, 10:39 PM
I used to have two identical 6" M19's, I miss them terribly.

Petrol & Powder
01-03-2016, 11:34 PM
Love those K-frames!
Hang onto that one!
I'm still on the hunt for a 2.5" model 19 or model 66.

brassrat
01-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Those 19s are sweet. I only have an old 13-2. Its not as cute and probably not as slick but is super accurate with most every loading. I love my CT laser too, except for the plastic.

Scharfschuetze
01-04-2016, 03:02 AM
Good choice! The Model 19 is my favorite K frame Smith. At one time I had a 2 1/2" (off duty), a 4" (duty revolver) and a 6" that I used on the department's pistol team until the 6" L Frame Smiths came out.

I also eventually upgraded to 41 Magnum for patrol duty, but in a Model 58.

Here's my Current Model 19 with a 25 yard target. It'll get passed on to my son as I'll never sell it.

Kevinakaq
01-04-2016, 09:21 AM
See here I was happy to have a 4" 19 again and now you go and do this!!! LoL, it seems my two m10's are 4" and my gp100 is a 4" as well. I need to get some variety in the collection...

Ah, great minds think alike.

Don

I have them in 2.5", 4" and 6".

Fred

ReloaderFred
01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
When I promoted to Sergeant in 1979, one of the owners of Cheshire & Perez, Henry Perez, sold me one of the then brand new and super hard to get 2.5" Model 66's at his price as a form of congratulations for the promotion. At that time, S&W had one distributor per state, and Cheshire & Perez was the Calif. distributor. They had three in stock and Henry let me pick the serial number I wanted from those three. I've still got that pistol, and it will probably go in a pocket inside my casket when the time comes. It's the only Model 66 I've got, but it goes well with my Model 19's.

Yeah, Don, great minds do think alike. My 2.5" Model 19 had been a Ridgecrest PD gun that I bought from a friend who was a Lt. for them at the time. The holster that came with it is marked RPD, which goes well with the two former CHP revolvers I purchased from friends on the CHP when they were allowed to buy their guns when they transitioned to new firearms. My 4" Model 19 was a former department gun from my department that had languished in the box for years and years without being issued. When our dept. mistakenly made it mandatory that everyone carry the Glock 22 or 23 in 1993, we were allowed to buy the old dept. guns, so I bought that Model 19 and a Model 59 from the dept., and another Model 59 from a Deputy who decided he didn't want his, as he had his personal Model 59.

My 6" Model 19 was the one I bought right out of the academy in 1971 to replace the old worn out Heavy Duty that I had bought as a Reserve Deputy, before being hired full time. I sold the Heavy Duty to a cop from another dept. for $65.00 to help pay for the Model 19 ($126.00, police price). Pay was low in those days, at $700.00 per month, and we had to supply all our own safety gear and uniforms. With small mouths to feed at home, things were tight, so I was happy to get the $65.00 for that old Heavy Duty, which is probably worth about 10 times that today...

All my Model 19's have a history, so they'll stay with me and probably get passed down when I pass on, providing we're allowed to still do that by the time I die......... My daughter has already said "dibs" on my Model 57 that served me so well for so many years. I loved the Model 19's, but I really, really loved my .41 Magnum 6" Model 57. In a high rise, front break holster, you hardly knew it was there, but it was fast to draw and comforting to hold, when necessary...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

deepwater
01-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Kev,

Glad for your find and the happiness it brings.

There are more than a few guns that I wish I had back. Intererests change and then come full circle.

deepwater

Char-Gar
01-04-2016, 02:29 PM
I have liked the Smith and Wesson Combat Magnum (Model 19) since the day, I first shot one in 1959. It was on the banks of the Rio Grande and it belonged to Bill Jordan. It was 1966 before I owned one.

For some stupid reason in the early 70's I traded it off and regretted it ever since. Two years ago, with some extra cash in my jeans, I bought another primo 1966 vintage and it is staying with me. Great sixguns these!

Kevinakaq
01-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Nice looking Pistol Char-Gar! I do enjoy my modern semi automatic M&P's etc. but consider them nothing but a tool. A well made Smith Revolver though is a work of art and a fine tool to boot. They are a pleasure to use.

I have liked the Smith and Wesson Combat Magnum (Model 19) since the day, I first shot one in 1959. It was on the banks of the Rio Grande and it belonged to Bill Jordan. It was 1966 before I owned one.

For some stupid reason in the early 70's I traded it off and regretted it ever since. Two years ago, with some extra cash in my jeans, I bought another primo 1966 vintage and it is staying with me. Great sixguns these!

Kevinakaq
01-24-2016, 08:14 AM
Ordered some grips from Midway and put them on a few days ago. Think she just looks right now.

Thanks to all your comments and insights! Truely appreciated.

kev

WRideout
01-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Ordered some grips from Midway and put them on a few days ago. Think she just looks right now.

kev

I'm glad you got a good one. I love my Mod 19 6" that I bought new in 1984. Like others have said, this will be a family heirloom, not to be sold. I love the factory grips, but they seem to stick out a little too much to use the speed loaders I bought. It's a small price to pay; I have only used it to kill paper, but it is easily the best gun I have. I have only shot maybe 2-3 boxes of factory ammo through it. All the rest are reloads, almost entirely with cast boolits, either lyman 358477 SWC or 35891 WC.

After a couple thousand rounds through it, the trigger smoothed up substantially, eliminating the need for a presumed trigger job. I understand that this is normal for a Smith.
Wayne

Butler Ford
01-24-2016, 12:04 PM
I think I can safely say that S&W K frame revolvers are my favorite from the gun world. Yours looks great, specially with the new grips. Congratulations on the find! Enjoy

BF

Kevinakaq
01-24-2016, 12:07 PM
I think I can safely say that S&W K frame revolvers are my favorite from the gun world. Yours looks great, specially with the new grips. Congratulations on the find! Enjoy

BF

thanks for the comment. Original I bought years ago was with father in a pawn shop in Berea, KY. From your profile looks like your neck of the woods.

Clay M
01-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Over the years I have probably carried a Model 66 4" more than any other handgun.
I bought it used back in the early 80's

waco
01-24-2016, 02:05 PM

kev

How do the aftermarket grips fit the gun?

Scharfschuetze
01-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Lookin' good Kevin! It's just hard to argue against blued steel and walnut wood.

Kevinakaq
01-24-2016, 02:51 PM
How do the aftermarket grips fit the gun?

Perfectly as they are an S&W made part.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/626252/smith-and-wesson-factory-grips-s-and-w-k-l-frame-square-butt-checkered-hardwood-with-medallions?cm_mmc=se_service-_-shippingconf-_-shippingconf-_-ProductShippedTodayLink

Kevinakaq
01-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Lookin' good Kevin! It's just hard to argue against blued steel and walnut wood.

Thanks follow reply and I completly agree! A classic look. I am also casually looking for a M29 in the 'Dirty Harry' barrel length.... Just can't beat the look.