PDA

View Full Version : 22 ammo boxes

roysha
01-03-2016, 01:33 PM
This was a post I entered over on RFC. Thought it might be of some interest here also.

"Seeing your picture made me think of my 22 ammo box. This one was made in the late 50s in High School shop class. (Can you imagine something like that happening now?)

Our shop teacher was also our Junior Rifle Club instructor/coach. That is the reason for the rectangular pattern of holes on the right side of the box. This is the pattern for the 50 foot rifle target. Since we were only allowed to shoot iron sights in Jr. Club, unless you paid rather close attention or used some form of keeping track where you were shooting, you could get confused and double shoot a target which would cost you twice.

He also had a pattern for a box exactly like your's and another for holding 4 boxes by removing the outer box and just setting in the "trays". The neat thing about all this was the fact it could be made very cheaply using pieces of wood that were generally too short for anything else and you could make them from virtually any wood he had in the shop

For the recesses, we didn't use a router. We used a mortise attachment on the drill press.

Great memories! Thanks for bringing them up.

Oh yeah. Our club shot on Thursday nights in the basement under the bowling alley in downtown Loveland. No ear or eye protection and very basic venting. The back stops were sections of cottonwood tree trunk about 2-2 1/2 ft in diameter on their sides with a piece of sheet steel slanted against the back for when the wood was shot through. Our ammo was DCM for which we paid $.50 a box. My Mom would give me $1.25 for school lunch and I would buy 2 boxes of ammo, shoot one, rat hole the other and eat a $.05 candy bar for lunch each day, primarily Payday peanut bars. Amazingly, I'm still alive and relatively healthy at 73. Whooda thunkit! "http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9047&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1451839973 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9047&d=1451839973)

oldred
01-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Back in '67 in SE Kentucky I drove my Dad's truck to school so we could do some work on it in the auto shop class, I had a Browning 12 Ga. and some clay pigeons that were left in the truck from the day before when we had been doing some shooting. The shop teacher was impressed with that old Browning so at lunch time several of us met outside the shop where the auto mechanics class was taught, this also doubled as the bus shop/garage and so had a huge parking lot, to try our skill at those clay pigeons. The teacher and several other students got to try their hand at it and some others gathered to watch, we all had a lot fun and no one even thought about this being a problem -try doing THAT today!

wv109323
01-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Al Freeland sold a box nearly identical to yours. They go for $80-100 on E-bay.

JSnover
01-03-2016, 09:49 PM
And I thought I was clever, using old metal stamp boxes...

stubbicatt
01-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Roysha, that is a neat example of handiwork. There can only be one Loveland!