PDA

View Full Version : Sprue Plate Lube Husky or Stihl

Viper225
01-03-2016, 03:01 AM
It seems like everyone using 2-cycle oil on sprue plates are using the Husky 2-cycle oil. It says it is a Synthetic Blend on the bottle.

Stihl has 2 different 2-Cycle oils. The old standard Orange Bottle, and the Silver Bottle which says it is a Full Synthetic.

Is anyone using the Stihl Synthetic 2-Cycle on Sprue Plates?????

My new weed eater warranty was extended to 2 years with the purchase of a 6-Pak of Stilh Synthetic 2-Cycle oil. So I have plenty on hand, plus I bought a 1 gallon mix size just to try on sprue plates.

Just wondering what made the Husky 2-Cycle so special, and will the Stihl 2-Cycle Full Synthetic do the same job on sprue plates??

I guess I could just try it as an option next casting session.

Bob R

bosterr
01-03-2016, 08:48 AM
I use no-name full synthetic I got at Tractor Supply, 3.2 oz. bottle that says 40:1. Must be 1 gallon mix size. Any synthetic will work, I doubt you'll see any difference whether Husky or Stihl.

44man
01-03-2016, 09:33 AM
I always used Stihl synthetic in my machines but it carboned up the exhaust on my Stihl weed whacker and froze the rings into the piston with carbon on my Husky blower.
I changed to Opti 2. Not a problem since.

Wolfer
01-03-2016, 10:08 AM
I use Stihl synthetic on spru plates and Alighnment pins. Works just fine.

sparky45
01-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I always used Stihl synthetic in my machines but it carboned up the exhaust on my Stihl weed whacker and froze the rings into the piston with carbon on my Husky blower.
I changed to Opti 2. Not a problem since.

Same experience. Opti 2 is great!

Drew P
01-03-2016, 08:42 PM
I purchased a six pack of stihl oil with my last weed whacker so I could get the free extended warranty and then threw it in the trash. I only use amsoil sabre pro on all my smokers. It's fully synthetic and they guarantee it to work at 100:1. Nothing to do with casting boolits.

str8shot426
01-03-2016, 09:04 PM
I've been using plain Jane penzoil two stroke oil. I don't know what makes synthetic a better choice.
I haven't had any trouble with it.

scottfire1957
01-04-2016, 12:18 AM
It seems like everyone using 2-cycle oil on sprue plates are using the Husky 2-cycle oil. It says it is a Synthetic Blend on the bottle.

Stihl has 2 different 2-Cycle oils. The old standard Orange Bottle, and the Silver Bottle which says it is a Full Synthetic.

Is anyone using the Stihl Synthetic 2-Cycle on Sprue Plates?????

My new weed eater warranty was extended to 2 years with the purchase of a 6-Pak of Stilh Synthetic 2-Cycle oil. So I have plenty on hand, plus I bought a 1 gallon mix size just to try on sprue plates.

Just wondering what made the Husky 2-Cycle so special, and will the Stihl 2-Cycle Full Synthetic do the same job on sprue plates??

I guess I could just try it as an option next casting session.

Bob R

Your last sentence sums up what you should do. That, or read more here on sprue plate lube. Not "everybody" is using what you suggest they are.

Good luck.

Dadgum, there's a sticky. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?227043-Mould-lube

Viper225
01-04-2016, 01:08 AM
I learned that full synthetic Husky 2 Cycle is branded as XP. The Husky 2 cycle I got was the synthetic blend. I was using it with good results. I used the Full Synthetic Stihl today, and from what I could tell it also worked fine.
I am reasonably sure that neither Stihl nor Husky make 2-cycle oil. They have it bottled by some company who deals in oil. I would not be surprised at all if both brands were not bottled in the same plant.

Back when I was a kid I had an uncle who was an engineer for a large company who made cake mixs among other things. At family get togethers he would bring boxes of cake mixs with several different brand names on them. All boxed by his company.

The main difference between some brands of 2-cycle oil may just be a different color dye.

Scottfire 1957
I believe I said those using 2-cycle oil for sprue plate lube. I realize Ester 100 & 150 without ICE 32 is also a very good or even better choice for sprue plate lube. I had previously read the information you provided in your attachment. And I thank you for that information.
I looked a while back for the Ester Refrigeration oil without the ICE 32 additive. I did not find it locally. When I do run across some Ester oil with out ICE 32 I will give it a try, and if it works as well as some say it does, I will probably switch to it.

I think I will keep using the Full Synthetic 2-cycle Stihl for a while, and get a better opinion about it.

Bob R

btroj
01-04-2016, 01:19 AM
I use the AC oil with the UV dye. The dye doesn't hurt anything. Some complain it dis colors the mould but I view that as strictly cosmetic. I use my moulds, I don't gaze at them.

I would have no issue with any full syn 2 stroke oil. Heck, any 2 stroke oil is better than nothing.

use what you have, it will work fine. Don't over think it.

scottfire1957
01-04-2016, 01:36 AM
You're welcome.

Hardcast416taylor
01-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Just about like when Camaro and Firebirds were built on the same line, or so I was told.Robert

whisler
01-04-2016, 09:41 PM
You were told correctly about Camaros and Firebirds, both built in Norwood Oh. plant.

bangerjim
01-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Little bottle of blue 2 cycle from WalMArt is what I use. Enough to last 3 lifetimes! And works great.

I put it in a hypodermic blunt needle syringe to make it easy to apply.

banger

Viper225
01-04-2016, 10:39 PM
The wife had a dentist appointment today, so I was out of town. I decided to check further on the Ester Oil. I checked in two other towns and no luck. Back home I decided to check NAPA. I thought I had checked their before, but I was going by it, and stopped. They were busy and the secretary was helping out front. She took me to the back to check a box of pulled AC stuff. No luck. Then we spotted a couple old bottles of ESTER 100 with no ICE 32 on a shelf. I now have a $13 bottle of ESTER 100 to try out tomorrow.

Scottfire 1957 thanks for getting my attention back on trying ESTER. I probably would have just stayed with 2-cycle without you shaking my tree.

Bob R

Viper225
01-06-2016, 01:54 AM
I cast another batch of NOE 360-180's today. This time I used the ESTER 100 to lube the mold.
The NAPA brand of ESTER 100 that I was using was Clear as Water. It was hard to keep track of where the ESTER went, as you could not see it on the mold. I ended up with a few wrinkled bullets, and I am sure they were from the cavity at the back next to the Sprue Pivot point.
So far I have not noticed any improvement of the ESTER over Full Synthetic 2-Cycle oil.
I have the bottle, and I will continue to work with it.

Bob R