PDA

View Full Version : Ankle carry?

FergusonTO35
01-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Anybody like to ankle carry? For times when maximum discretion is required it seems ideal. I recently got a Desantis ankle rig for my little S&W 637 and it is very comfortable. I know an ankle holster is not the first choice for speed but I wonder if there are any techniques for a faster draw.

JWFilips
01-02-2016, 08:21 PM
I have a friend who ankle carries for 10 years, 357 S&W J Frame..Part of him like wearing pants!
Remember getting down when drawn upon is natural..Give you that little bit to come up firing

Rick Hodges
01-02-2016, 08:23 PM
I tried and never could get used to having a gun and holster clanging around my ankle. Ugh.

dubber123
01-02-2016, 09:33 PM
I tried it, and it felt like a dead cat attached to my ankle, or so I imagine :) It was not for me at all.

Groo
01-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Groo here
I tried that man times.
The gun MUST be light ,the holster must not shake around, and it is best if spare ammo etc is carried
on the other ankle to balance.

Blackwater
01-02-2016, 09:56 PM
I used to carry a S&W M-60 on my ankle, and found it really off-putting for me. Tended to make me walk kind'a funny. An Airwt. model would be better. I had one particular parolee I felt better visiting with a hideout. Now, I'd just carry my little .380 instead, in my pocket. Here in Ga., folks don't think anything of a fella' putting his hands in his pockets, but bending down to one's ankle would draw fire before one could likely return it, likely as not, I think, but YMMV, of course. I just like having access without looking like I'm going for my gun, and having it in a pocket lets me look non-threatening when I am just being prepared to respond should it be needed. Ankle draw is slow, and involves signalling your intent, and I just have always, except for that one instance, shied away from it. I do believe there are better ways to carry that don't signal one's intent quite as much, but some have used it effectively nevertheless, so .... it's a judgment call, really.

In many SD situations, one must improvise and maybe do a little acting in order to not signal your intent, and I've just never felt good doing that, though some have pulled it off. It's really a sticky question, full of "what ifs" on all sides. My view is just where I landed, but still, rule #1 in a gunfight is to simply HAVE a gun, and how one carries CAN vary quite a bit, and I'd MUCH rather have one on my ankle than not have one at all.

Here in the south where shorts and a tee shirt are common summer wear, I just still carry in my pocket, and just buy my shorts with an eye to the size and depth of the pockets so I can do that, and also get full cuts so they kind'a don't print nearly as bad also. My physique no longer is quite fitting for skin tight wear anyway! :?

9.3X62AL
01-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I tried it, and it felt like a dead cat attached to my ankle, or so I imagine :) It was not for me at all.

This brought a smile, and is an apt description of how the regimen felt. Trying to run wearing an ankle rig.......one click to the right of "ball & chain". Our uniform vendor offered inseam mods with Velcro closure to facilitate ankle holster usage, but I didn't sample that option. I gave the choice several tries, with both snubguns and 380 autos........no-go for me. A lot of my partners went this route, and a lot of my old shop's folks still do. Like grip sets and carry options, it is worth a try to find what works for YOU.

FergusonTO35
01-02-2016, 10:15 PM
I must say, this isn't my first, second, or third choice for carry. Rather it is ideal for times when I want to be even more discreet than usual, such as church or on a college campus (neither place is prohibited by law in Kentucky). My Kel-Tec .32 is headed back to Florida for repairs so the 637 and my Glock 42 are my smallest carry guns. Both can be pocket carried but neither is really ideal. They print a fair amount and the bottom of the grip can peek out of my pocket some. I figure with ankle carry, at least I have access to a gun at all times even if not quickly.

gray wolf
01-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Ask yourself,
Can I get to my ankle if I am grabbed from the front or from the side
Can I get to my weapon in a knife attack
If at bad breath distance I have to control someones weapon can I let it go and get to my ankle
Same goes for unloaded chamber and pocket carry.

In order to be comfortable with our gun we need be careful about how we think.
It wont happen to me is living with a false sense of security, Bad things can happen very close in,
Bending down is a good way to get clobbered over the head and shot with your own gun.

Just sayin

Bzcraig
01-02-2016, 11:41 PM
I bought a Crossbreed ankle rig for my P32 for those times when its the only option, wouldn't choose it there are other options.

NavyVet1959
01-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Sometimes, I would put a snub-nose .357 in my engineer's boot when I'm riding my motorcycle if I didn't have *any* other workable choice for concealment. It didn't really affect the way I walk since I tend to limp a bit anyway.

rintinglen
01-03-2016, 04:16 AM
About the time the holster and gun leave you as you are pounding down the back side of a building chasing a burglary suspect you begin to think less well of your choice in concealment rigs. I am no fan of ankle rigs. Pocket carry is much preferable.

NavyVet1959
01-03-2016, 08:55 AM
About the time the holster and gun leave you as you are pounding down the back side of a building chasing a burglary suspect you begin to think less well of your choice in concealment rigs. I am no fan of ankle rigs. Pocket carry is much preferable.

Ankle carry probably has one advantage over pocket carry -- access while you are seated. For many of us with mobility issues, ankle carry is not really even an option.

FergusonTO35
01-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Thanks, great advice. As stated before, sometimes ankle carry is just the best way to go. I'm currently carrying the 637 in a used Desantis Apache. I took the calf strap off as it is just not necessary. Very comfortable, wore it to church, lunch, and the store today. My pants come down a little below the top of my shoe and my ankles are fairly thin so concealment is no problem. I'm bidding on a new Galco Ankle Glove right now, hopefully will win it. The Ankle Glove is a much nicer holster made specifically to fit the J-frame with the standard thumbsnap retention strap rather than the cheapo spandex and velcro of the Apache. I really do like the ease of access when in a vehicle, compared to slow with a belt holster and nearly impossible with pocket carry. Also, if the assailant is in your vehicle he is going to have a much harder time taking your gun.

Lefty SRH
01-03-2016, 09:30 PM
I ankle carry a lot. My weapon of choice is a Ruger LCR in .38spl inside a Galco ankle-lite rig. Besides it getting a little warm sometimes after wearing for extended periods of time its very comfortable!

Bruntson
01-03-2016, 09:44 PM
I too ankle carry over half the time. I wear blue jeans and a heavy tool pouch all day. Ankle carry is the only way I can. Its easy to draw when seated at a desk, restaurant, or movie theater. I carry a light weight 7 round Taurus 709 in 9mm. After a few days you get use to the feel. If you have to chase a criminal then no ones life is in danger and in this state, use of deadly force is illegal.

FergusonTO35
01-04-2016, 02:26 PM
If I ever get to carry in my workplace without the possibility of being fired I'll probably do ankle or pocket carry. I strongly prefer that no one know I'm carrying. My work life is complicated enough without the possibility of people treating me differently after they find out I carry.

historicfirearms
01-04-2016, 07:08 PM
My most embarrassing concealed carry moment came with an ankle rig. It was at the end of a long hot day at work and we were walking to our cars in the parking lot. The sweat from working must have loosened up the holster, because half way to my car, my gun came falling out onto the pavement. Luckily, only two of my coworkers saw the incident, and no one was hurt. That was the last time I will ever wear an ankle holster.

country gent
01-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I have 2 plates 8 screws and 4 pins in my ankle I need the holester on and the guns weight and bumping rubbing is uncomfortable almost painfull where it contacts these. Sort of like putting the skin muscle between a anvil and tap hammer when walking.

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2016, 09:41 PM
It works for some folks but it would be my last option.
I've already shared my views about hammers on snubnose revolvers and I will not continue to beat that dead horse. A good pocket holster will prevent the gun from printing in your pocket, protects the trigger and keeps the gun positioned correctly in the pocket. That would be my first choice for good concealment. The disadvantage to pocket carry is drawing while seated.
A "tuckable" inside the waistband holster is a good deep cover option but they are not as comfortable as on the waistband holsters. I would put them slightly ahead of ankle holsters in terms of access.

flyingmonkey35
01-04-2016, 09:45 PM
I used to wear it as my back up gun when is was in lawenfocment. But I could only to it with combat boots and I would have the starp attached tho the boo. 32 Brett a tomcat.

After a while though I found d it better for me to strap to my kelvar vest in a Cross draw under my shirt. With two buttons switched to Velcro.

But practice drawing from any holster you carry with. A ankle carry is a drop down to one knee draw and fire from a kneeling position.

ejcrist
01-05-2016, 02:58 PM
I ankle carry a Glock 27 more often than I hip carry. Not because I like it better but it's often T-shirt weather in my neck of the woods and it's hard to be discreet carrying on the hip with a T-shirt on. If I'm wearing anything heavier than a T-shirt I hip carry though - much more comfortable on the hip and quicker to draw.

FergusonTO35
01-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Wow. At the PD I used to work for they took the Model T approach to duty pistols. You can have anything you want as long as it's Glock. This included back up guns, so the smallest thing available at the time was the 26 or 27. I didn't personally know any coppers that carried one for back up, although many did carry the Ruger LCP against the rules.

scarry scarney
01-06-2016, 05:44 PM
I wore a S&W 442 in a G&G Bootlock holster. It worked real well, never felt like it was too heavy. On the other boot, I had an old 38 Dump Pouch sewn on to the boot, and carried a speed strip of 38 as a back up reload. I also had "Ten-Ring Precision" perform a moon clip conversion to the 442. That worked REAL GOOD. I would carry a couple of moon clips of 38 in the pocket.

FergusonTO35
01-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Wow, that's pretty serious right there. I just ordered a Galco Ankle Glove for my 637 so we'll see how that works. The Ankle Glove seems to be a huge favorite, I like the fact it is leather, has a standard thumbsnap, and made to fit the J-frame.

Artful
01-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Sometimes, I would put a snub-nose .357 in my engineer's boot when I'm riding my motorcycle if I didn't have *any* other workable choice for concealment. It didn't really affect the way I walk since I tend to limp a bit anyway.

Had a friend who had a shoe maker sew a holster inside the top of his wellington boots. Think they put a stiffener in there too??? Any way he loved that carry and always had his pants loose enough it wasn't a problem getting to it. I have an ankle holser around here somewhere, haven't tried to use it in 30 years probably but it does throw you off and you can't run well with it. And the old hiker's proverb every pound on your feet is like 10 in your pack applies.

Rodfac
01-10-2016, 05:32 PM
I've got this mental image of a CC guy executing a summersault to get to his ankle rig....local LEO's here say it's not that bad, but damned near it, and all said they'd had at least one instance of the gun falling out...for me a holster's gotta be on the waist in an OWB and I dress around the gun. Works 100% of the time and with almost 50 yrs of doing it that way, I'm not going to re-train.

For really s----ty weather while hunting especially, a good "tanker" rig on the chest makes sense. I've got one that's with me on elk trips to Colorado for use when packing out quarters, at dusk, in bear country...this last is guaranteed to give you the willies when snow is dropping off the spruce. With a pack board and a good waist belt, the 'tanker's' cross chest position allows access in a hurry to your piece and keeps it out of the snow, sleet, rain and if you're anything like me...the blood from an extensive field dressing operation at 9000'+.

For hunting, the OWB option is just not as useful to me. No matter which side I carry on, my rifle butt is always banging against it when hiking in or out, gun slung. And unless you're packing a fairly short bbl'd revolver (5" or less), the muzzle's going to bang against your 4x4, the saddle of your mount, your deer stand seat or the pile of snow you're sitting on.

Sounds like you're already convinced, having spent some loot on an ankle rig...give it a try and report back. Bet you find it's a PITA.

HTH's Rod

FergusonTO35
01-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Rod, I've been ankle carrying the 637 for a couple of weeks now. It is not the best way to carry but far from the worst. No, I don't find it to be a PITA by any means, ankle carry is just the best option for me in some situations. Most days I carry IWB or OWB depending on my clothing and activities for the day. In cold weather I carry my Glock 26 in a paddle holster, as I did today. Most other times it's the Glock 42 in an IWB holster. When hunting or just tromping around in the woods I carry the Glock 19 or S&W 10-4 in an actual belt holster, doesn't make much sense to carry on the ankle or even be all that worried about concealment in the first place.

Mike in Reedley
01-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Ankle carry, like IWB carry, takes some getting use to. Most people that complain about it, probably didn't try that mode very long. I carried a variety of handguns on my ankle over a 30+ year career in LE. The heaviest guns I carried was a Detonics 45 and a S&W 3913. The lightest was alloy J frame 38s, which is what I carried the last ten years.

8" boots made the gun unnoticeable to me. Off duty and my last 7 years in detectives I wore 6" boots, with the holster riding on top of the boot. You notice the ankle rig quite a bit with low quartered shoes as it tends to slip around on your ankle, hence the dead cat reference

Quality holsters make all the difference, I had great luck with deSantis and Fobus. Cheap holsters and/or nylon ankle holsters are a mistake. They're uncomfortable and not very secure.

You're not going to outdraw someone using an ankle holster. It was primarily a back up gun for me. When I carried off duty that way, I planned that if I saw trouble coming, I'd discreetly draw the weapon and place it in my waist band or pocket. It's not a be all end all, just another tool in your toolbox.

mcdaniel.mac
01-14-2016, 03:18 AM
I've got this mental image of a CC guy executing a summersault to get to his ankle rig....local LEO's here say it's not that bad, but damned near it, and all said they'd had at least one instance of the gun falling out...for me a holster's gotta be on the waist in an OWB and I dress around the gun. Works 100% of the time and with almost 50 yrs of doing it that way, I'm not going to re-train.

For really s----ty weather while hunting especially, a good "tanker" rig on the chest makes sense. I've got one that's with me on elk trips to Colorado for use when packing out quarters, at dusk, in bear country...this last is guaranteed to give you the willies when snow is dropping off the spruce. With a pack board and a good waist belt, the 'tanker's' cross chest position allows access in a hurry to your piece and keeps it out of the snow, sleet, rain and if you're anything like me...the blood from an extensive field dressing operation at 9000'+.

For hunting, the OWB option is just not as useful to me. No matter which side I carry on, my rifle butt is always banging against it when hiking in or out, gun slung. And unless you're packing a fairly short bbl'd revolver (5" or less), the muzzle's going to bang against your 4x4, the saddle of your mount, your deer stand seat or the pile of snow you're sitting on.

Sounds like you're already convinced, having spent some loot on an ankle rig...give it a try and report back. Bet you find it's a PITA.

HTH's Rod

I think it was Mike Pannone or Tiger McKee that taught the "hopscotch draw" which involved half of a crane kick and weekly yoga levels of flexibility. His point was that, if you spent enough time training a movement, you could fine something that would look fast and elegant despite being wildly impractical.

Personally, I don't have a problem with an LCR or j-frame in a pocket or an SP101 or compact Glock at the appendix carry, but ankle carry would be uncomfortable and I don't wear my pants long enough at the cuff to not worry about flashing a gun. That's aside from the draw speed and accessibility issue. IMO, needing to bend down to draw puts me in a very vulnerable position, and it would be impossible to draw from a grapple.

YMMV.

For outdoors and for jogging in the city, I wear a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. It's got velcro inside for mounting a holster, but I just let my GP100 bounce around in there. It fits like a harness but if you don't get the MOLLE version it looks more like Appalachian Trail hiking kit than a concealed firearm. Money well spent, IMO.

FergusonTO35
01-14-2016, 10:32 AM
I mostly ankle carry at home, so that I can have a gun available at all times. It works really well when I'm fixing cars in the garage as this keeps the gun from getting banged up when laying and scooting around on my back. I practice the ankle draw frequently. My procedure is stoop to one knee, use both hands to pull my pants leg up, use the right hand to undo the thumb break and draw, with the left hand coming around to meet it while aiming from the kneeling position. For reloads I keep a speed loader in the right pants pocket and a speed strip in my coat.

mcdaniel.mac
01-14-2016, 09:47 PM
See I just use a pocket for that. I wasn't a revolver guy, for a long time I swore they were dated and needed to not be considered as a defensive firearm, but a J-frame Smith or a Ruger LCR is a better pocket carry than a Keltec or LC9 IMO, and shooting one really cemented that belief.

FergusonTO35
01-15-2016, 05:19 PM
I would agree with you there, except for the fact that the butt of my 637 seems to always want to peek out of the top of my pocket. Also, pocket carry is not easy to draw from in a sitting position. Now, wearing shorts in the summer pocket carry is alot easier as it seems like shorts always have bigger pockets and fit looser than pants.