PDA

View Full Version : titegroup powder

johnsmith
01-02-2016, 08:36 AM
New to this site and new to reloading looking to load 38 specials with 158 grain bullet want to use titegroup powder having trouble finding loads for this powder. For a smith and wesson.

daniel lawecki
01-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Hodgdon Reloading Data center free on line. They have loads listed that's where I get my info.

DerekP Houston
01-02-2016, 09:09 AM
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Use the link above, it has all the information you need and titegroup is included in the available powder choices.

My load is 3.5gr w/ a 158gr SWC.

randyrat
01-02-2016, 09:10 AM
You'll find a load for Tightgroup under a 158 gr in both of these

http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm
http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=38 Special&Weight=158&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source

As all manuals say start with the starting loads and work your way up to find the Sweet Spot load.. Do a Ladder load and tell us what you found, it will be good experience.

Read read read and keep your fingers and eyes.

I would love to just blurb out a load but that would be unfair to your learning

upr45
01-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Titegroup is a powder that is very easy to double charge with. Please have a method to verify that you do not have a double charge. It works well when used within Hodgdon's recommended ranges. Be safe!

Vann
01-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Titegroup is an excellent powder, my only gripe with it is that it is extremely dense. So while it works very well in multiple applications it can also be double and triple charged quite easily especially in a cases like the 45 Colt and 38 spl.

Not trying to scare you just giving a heads up that you should pay extra attention when you charge your cases.

johnsmith
01-02-2016, 10:50 AM
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Use the link above, it has all the information you need and titegroup is included in the available powder choices.

My load is 3.5gr w/ a 158gr SWC.

I was going with 3.7 middle off the road. Again I was skeptical of what hodgdon site, only because I looked at other sites and some are so far different.

johnsmith
01-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Thank you and there slightly different from Hodgen, this is why I ask the question about reloading using the 158 grain bullet for a 38 special.

johnsmith
01-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks all for the help, again I saw number of different websites are there slightly differ from hodgons site, so in question is why I was reluctant to stick with Hodgons

Vann
01-02-2016, 11:21 AM
You did good by checking multiple sources for data. If I am doubtful about which load to use from different sources I usually pick the lowest listed data and work from there. Certain brands of bullets use different jacket material which can cause the data to lower or higher than others, also the C.O.A.L. can cause a major difference in load pressure. These could be causes for the data that you're looking at to be different. Not to mention the fact that the 38 spl has been around for years and the standard pressure has been changed a few times.

Correct me if I' wrong boys.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-02-2016, 10:00 PM
New to this site and new to reloading looking to load 38 specials with 158 grain bullet want to use titegroup powder having trouble finding loads for this powder. For a smith and wesson.
Welcome to the site, looks like you got some data.

just add my 2¢
I like titegroup for 9 and 40 with jacketed bullets.
I prefer a less dense powder, like unique or red dot for 158gr SWC in 38 spl for revolver.
good luck.

PS: I moved your thread to a more proper forum

runfiverun
01-02-2016, 11:25 PM
I have a bunch of titegroup and have had some good success with it over the years.
it's biggest drawback is when you squeeze it into a tight space it starts burning erratically and pressures spike quickly.
the 38 is about the smallest case I trust it in.

the 9 shoots it okay but one small mis-step and you have a serious overload.
I smoked my Taurus pt-92 using titegroup in a hurry [that was the point of the test but it came much sooner than I predicted]
the green anodizing looked pretty cool on the side of the gun...

bangerjim
01-03-2016, 12:15 AM
Every load data book I have has tons of TG data. Pick up a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.....the bible of what we do.

It is one of two of my standard powders for ........EVERYTHING I shoot.

banger

Walkingwolf
01-03-2016, 02:09 AM
I use TG for moderate 40 S&W loads, very happy with it.

w5pv
01-03-2016, 11:09 AM
At the present I have about 500 rounds loaded with titegroup,my method is to use 2 different presses.One with a pour through expander die and the other with a bullet seating die but check and check again before stuffing any lead in the casing.I load acp and 45 colt.The acp is easy to see if it has a double in it.Double load a few rounds so you can get the look of a double load in your casings,be sure to empty the casiing to avoid any mistakes.I have doubled a few rounds but have caught the mistake before loading the boolit in the casing.Good luck and as always be safe.

bangerjim
01-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Just a head's up.......for those that use powder coating.........TightGroup has been found to slightly soften the PC on the base of the boolit after several months being stored nose down. Does not do anything detrimental, but TG is the only powder I and others have found that does this. There are several different experiments with different people and powders going on right now to gather more data.

Any other powders formulated like TG could possibly do this also. Of the 6 powders I have tested, TG is the only one that does.....with HF red.

banger