PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measure for Test Loads

bigtee
01-01-2016, 07:01 PM
What do you all use when loading test loads? I usually load up 5 rounds of each, its a big hassle to keep changing powder in the measure and readjusting it. Is there something out there that is quick and easy to change powders out?

JSnover
01-01-2016, 07:25 PM
For small runs like that, I use whichever Lee dipper is closest, pour it into the pan on my scale (already set to the desired weight) and finish it off with a trickler.

Doc Highwall
01-01-2016, 07:38 PM
When I test I only use one powder, and the only variable is the charge weight, and I try to work in 1% increments.

oldcanadice
01-02-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm with JSnover, except instead of a trickler I use a tiny dipper held at a slant and tap with my off-hand finger to dribble in more or less to top off as needed. The dippers and scale are far and away easier and faster to use than a measure for little experiments and topping off with the tiny dipper is also faster and easier than using my trickler.

Love Life
01-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Lee perfect powder measure. Twist, pull, dump, work handle 10 times to ensure chamber is empty, put hopper back on measure, twist, start throwing new powder.

bangerjim
01-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Lee dipper set. Cheap and relativly accurate.

For loads those do not cover, I use 22LR cases with a handle soldered on. You can grind/trim them to the exact load you want. Also hard pack cotton in to "lighten" the load.

And this is where powder coated boolits really come in! Different colors for different loads. Perfect way of coding them.

banger

Mk42gunner
01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Scale and dippers, either Lee or homemade. Much faster to dribble powder from a dipper than to use a trickler.

Once I find the load I want then I will set the powder measure, as long as I am going to load more than twenty or so rounds.

Robert

country gent
01-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Try one of the straws with the little "spoon" on the end, the ones for Iceys. A little powder in a shallow cup and you can get a small amount and tap to drop 1 grain or powder at a time to the desired charge. With practice you will see what you need very close. I set a measure at starting load and add up like this. Another way is to use one of the automatic measures and set the measure to dump slightly under inital setting. Drop a charge and hit start button, then reset scales to next charge and repeat.

bedbugbilly
01-02-2016, 07:23 PM
I use the same method as JSnover mentions. It seems to go pretty quickly for loading sample batches for either pistol or rifle.

waltherboy4040
01-02-2016, 08:30 PM
For small runs like that, I use whichever Lee dipper is closest, pour it into the pan on my scale (already set to the desired weight) and finish it off with a trickler.

I use the same method

wistlepig1
01-02-2016, 09:33 PM

One more for this!

Mike Kerr
01-02-2016, 11:28 PM
I came to the conclusion a few years ago that I am destined to always wonder what the best (fastest & reliable) method is for working up new loads. Now if I lived on my dream property with my own test range in back of the custom shop (yeah right) I am sure I could efficiently work up new loads without loading three times as many rounds as really needed. I have tried most of the dipper/vs multiple Perfect powder measure methods to the point that I confuse myself. I do much better using linear methods with one powder at a time.

JSnover
01-02-2016, 11:39 PM
I do much better using linear methods with one powder at a time.
Always. For load testing or accuracy I use the method outlined earlier. Measures (on my reloading bench) aren't used until after the load is developed.

Mike Kerr
01-03-2016, 12:58 AM
Yes JSnover, you and Doc Highwall use the general methodology I use. I should have referenced both of you in my earlier post. I have tried working up loads with multiple powders for one range session like the "gunwriters" show in their articles. But then they are usually just summarizing in their articles and in fact they may have developed their actual loads in different sessions.

A few years ago I took multiple loadings from different powders types in test boxes (using empty Speer plastic bullet boxes for packaging) to the private range I formerly used. So there I was with about 25 to 30 different loadings to test and chronograph. I was so loaded with gear, notebooks, chronograph, rifles, etc. that I needed a valet or a personal assistant to carry everything. After some hours of fighting a nasty north wind, all of the gear, and trying to keep the record keeping straight I just beat a late afternoon rain to the car; only to find I had left about 12- 15 empty Speer bullet boxes laying on the back range far from the car. I left them where they were only to have some other DA range member post a few days later that they could no figure out why some one left empty bullet boxes on the range.

It took considerable time at home to reconcile and to correlate the data and I concluded then that I would keep it simple from then on. Even though its a problem to drive to the range multiple times at least I have an excuse to go and get out of the house.

Doc Highwall
01-03-2016, 01:56 AM
Like I said in post #3 when I look at a powder that I am going to use I try to work in 1% increments.

Example say the max powder charge I am going to test is 50 grains. First I start at 10% below the max which is 5 grains less or 45 grains. By moving the decimal point one place to the left of the 5 grains equals .5 grains.

First I will load 10 rounds with the starting charge of 45 grains just to make sure that the chronograph is working. Now I only load 5 rounds in each 1% increment for 45.5, 46.0, 46.5, 47.0 etc. If at any time testing these that I think that the pressure is too great I will stop. If everything goes as planned when I get home I will graph these and look for a flat spot where there is very little gain in velocity between 1% increments. This flat spot is like a perfect air fuel mixture where charges can be thrown and a small plus or minus does not change velocity much. With more cartridges loaded at the flat spot I play with seating depth to fine tune the load.

It will take about 60 rounds to do this test, and all the cartridges must be from the same lot and fired the same number of times, and weigh within the tolerance that you choose. For a case like a 308 I will allow say a 2 grain tolerance max and with a smaller case like a 223 I will try to keep it to 1.5 grains max.

For a bench rest gun I want it under 1 grain closer to .5 grains and less.

Mk42gunner
01-03-2016, 01:56 AM
After loosing the sheet of paper that had the load data on it for a fifty round box of .22 Hornet loads; I went back to using snack size ziplock baggies with a note inside, and writing on the case with a sharpie.

Loads get fired, either for group or over the chrony, the cases go back in the same baggie with notations as to speed or group size.

Makes it a lot easier to sort things out at home later.

Robert

JSnover
01-03-2016, 02:01 AM
Brought too much gear to the range… Been there and done that.
Left stuff behind… Yeah, done that too.
For multiple loads I bought a large enough ammo box to fit them all in and marked the base of each with a sharpie because the cartridges were all nose-down and powder coating hadn't been invented yet.
The notebook (only one) goes into a .50 cal ammo can along with an assortment of tools and cleaning equipment. Notes from that session can be copied into other notebooks back at home so I don't have to pack a library to the firing line.

EDG
01-03-2016, 02:04 AM
I have both the old black Lee dippers and the later model Lee yellow dippers that I use. You can vary the height of powder charge you dip and then weigh it. if you come up short use the dipper to add a little more.

I think the Lee red dippers are the same as the yellow dippers. So you could buy 2 different colors and use one set to modify.
To modify file the dipper size off of the handle and then file an over size dipper down by shortening the open end. This might let you get closer to the exact charge.

JSnover
01-03-2016, 02:18 AM
Some people think the dippers are a joke but if you know how to use them they're pretty consistent.