PDA

View Full Version : Ruger American pistol

FergusonTO35
01-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Ruger has come out with a new poly frame centerfire auto, the American pistol. It looks very nice, examining the parts diagram it appears to be a larger rendition of the LC9S. I'm well covered by my Glock 19 for this role but I will definitely examine one when I see it. I wonder if the American is going to replace the SR series?

http://beta.ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/models.html

Markbo
01-01-2016, 09:10 PM
Hey Ruger...welcome to the 90's! :D

Their P.series were always my least​ favorite auto pistol on the market

TXGunNut
01-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Hey Ruger...welcome to the 90's! :D

Their P.series were always my least​ favorite auto pistol on the market

P series left me cold as well, to say the least. Looking forward to handling the new pistol, pretty impressed with the American rifle series.

contender1
01-01-2016, 10:36 PM
There is a current promotion going on sponsored by Ruger.
Find a stocking dealer, with a gun range, and you can test fire one for free. Go to the Ruger website for details!

2wheelDuke
01-02-2016, 12:06 AM
I'm interested to see how they are. I haven't been a fan of any of the previous Ruger pistols.

JeffG
01-02-2016, 12:31 AM
I do like the way that looks. Looking at that trigger, it really does look like short takeup.

JHeath
01-02-2016, 01:03 AM
Why do pistol slides keep getting fatter? After 100+ years of progress, they could be 1/16" thinner. Instead they're 1/4" thicker.

The 1935 Hi Power grip frame was wider than the slide. The slide on this is wider than the double stack grip.

Does nobody carry IWB any more?

Schrag4
01-02-2016, 01:07 AM
At a glance it looks similar to their SR series. The mags hold 17 rounds - I wonder if they're the same magazines. If so, I might just be interested since I have an SR9c with a couple of full-sized mags.

Schrag4
01-02-2016, 01:08 AM
Nevermind, I finally saw a pic that shows the mag in the grip - they don't look the same to me.

Love Life
01-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Yawn.

rfd
01-02-2016, 05:05 PM
been thinking about a ccw pistol. i do like the ruger brand of firearms and already have four. the new RAP sure looks like it'll be a winner. however, i prefer .45acp and for ccw the RAP is on the large size with its 4.5" barrel and is a single stack with a 10 round mag. while an SA xd mod2 with its smaller footprint and 3.3" barrel has a 13 round ds mag.

runfiverun
01-02-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm more in the maybe crowd.
if the throat is actually a throat, and it don't rattle around like a P-90, and if I don't have 2 fingers hanging off the bottom of the grip, and it keeps the holes on the paper within a foot of each other, I might be interested.
I see the slide is stainless.

Markbo
01-02-2016, 11:59 PM
been thinking about a ccw pistol. i do like the ruger brand of firearms and already have four. the new RAP sure looks like it'll be a winner. however, i prefer .45acp and for ccw the RAP is on the large size with its 4.5" barrel and is a single stack with a 10 round mag. while an SA xd mod2 with its smaller footprint and 3.3" barrel has a 13 round ds mag.

They have a 10 round .45 too

Para82
01-03-2016, 12:35 AM
Got to take advantage of Ruger's promotion and shot one today at the my local dealer. Liked the sights, the trigger did not seem to me to have a short reset like advertised, reset was pretty long. Seemed to be plenty accurate and to be your average polymer pistol. Will wait to fire the 45acp version before I decide to buy or not. I shot the 9 mm version today. Felt pretty good overall nothing earth shattering.

str8wal
01-03-2016, 12:46 AM
Yawn.

Ditto

rfd
01-03-2016, 06:40 AM
They have a 10 round .45 too

everyone has a 10 round, i'd want more. the xd mod.2 is 13+1.

Thumbcocker
01-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Looks like the offspring of a Glock and a Sig.

FergusonTO35
01-03-2016, 03:32 PM
I wonder if the name "Ruger American" will hurt it. The American rifle is an econo bolt gun. Nothing wrong with that of course, but applying that name to what is supposed to be a premium pistol that competes with Glock, M&P, and Sig could be a mistake.

376Steyr
01-03-2016, 04:12 PM
"I wonder if the American is going to replace the SR series?"

Since the American series will be in direct competition with the SR series, with almost identical MSRP's, I don't see much future for the SR line. Ruger is pretty ruthless when it comes to phasing out older models. I have an SR40, I think I'll get a few more magazines for it while I still can.

Tackleberry41
01-03-2016, 06:37 PM
I was never impressed w the Ruger semi autos, the P series. Somebody I knew had one, had about the worst trigger possible. Ruger makes some fine classic designs, and rifles. But not been to impressed w their more modern semi auto pistols. But I did notice they are going with ambi controls, which is something I do like and most companies ignore. I would have to get hands on.

FergusonTO35
01-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Since the American series will be in direct competition with the SR series, with almost identical MSRP's, I don't see much future for the SR line. Ruger is pretty ruthless when it comes to phasing out older models. I have an SR40, I think I'll get a few more magazines for it while I still can.

I'm glad I got out of my P95 and SR9C when I did. Both fine guns but if parts and mags are hard to find or just don't exist anymore then fuhgeddaboutit. They got replaced by a Glock 19 and 26, for which I can get parts, mags, and aftermarket stuff from literally thousands of places. Ruger apologists say "don't worry, just send it back to Ruger and they will fix it." Yes, Ruger is very good about taking care of customers but do you really want to be without your pistol for a few weeks and maybe have to pay shipping both ways for a $2.00 part you can install in 30 seconds, or a routine maintenance item like a recoil spring? I have the luxury of several CCW and defense pieces but not everyone does. I know many folks who have only one defensive gun. If anything breaks on that gun and parts are not available they are going to be gun-free for some time.

Electric88
01-05-2016, 08:34 AM
Interesting, I called Ruger customer service last week and asked about their new pistol. The person I spoke to had no knowledge of any new handgun lines, but from what I've seen the new handgun looks nice. Kind of a bummer if they phase out the sr9c, as I love that gun and carry it all the time. I haven't made the jump to glock because of hearing (perhaps falsely) that they have unsupported chambers that wreck havoc on brass. I'm not sure if that's all true, and have yet to investigate it further

FergusonTO35
01-05-2016, 10:23 AM
My Glock 19, 26, and 42 were all made within the last few years and have chamber support as good as any other pistol I have examined. My brass just wears out from repeated loadings as it does with every other gun I own.

sandman228
01-05-2016, 12:34 PM
I was looking at these online I would like to handle 1 just to check it out . I like the ambi controls

jmort
01-05-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm in the minority here, as I love my P89s. As reliable as it gets, DA/SA, external hammer, de-cocker, lanyard loop, and all metal build. A great service/duty weapon/house gun. As far as the new American, it either works or it don't. I am no Beta Tester, but I will jump on a band wagon once its rolling real good.

FergusonTO35
01-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Nothing at all wrong with the P series. If Ruger had updated it they would still be going strong today. I always hoped that whatever came after the SR's would be a modern DA/SA but it was not to be.

Lloyd Smale
01-06-2016, 07:20 AM
I didn't think anyone could make a gun uglier then a glock. That rounded grip frame looks like **** to me.

gray wolf
01-06-2016, 01:20 PM
You guys really need to check out (fondle ) a sig P320 I shot the compact 45 and was dearly impressed.
The trigger is great and if you want a short reset look no further, As accurate as my 1911 and the trigger while not a 1911 trigger did not keep me from shooting it as well as my 1911.
Very nice pistol.

Jtarm
01-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Why do pistol slides keep getting fatter? After 100+ years of progress, they could be 1/16" thinner. Instead they're 1/4" thicker.

The 1935 Hi Power grip frame was wider than the slide. The slide on this is wider than the double stack grip.

Does nobody carry IWB any more?

Lol. I've never been an autoloader guy, but my best friend bought a P95 when they first hit the market. I shot it a number of times and couldn't believe how wide it was.

Like most everything Ruger, it was overbuilt with a horrible trigger.

Markbo
01-06-2016, 08:45 PM
I didn't think anyone could make a gun uglier then a glock. That rounded grip frame looks like **** to me.

Lloyd are you talking about the rounded backstrap?

dragon813gt
01-06-2016, 09:43 PM

I think Glocks look better than all of Ruger's plastic pistols. I own more Rugers than any other brand, at least I think I do. But they are all rifles and revolvers. They haven't been able to design a pistol that's remotely appealing to me. Ou well, CZs and Walthers will have to do :laugh:

Lloyd Smale
01-07-2016, 07:50 AM
yes sir
Lloyd are you talking about the rounded backstrap?

Tackleberry41
01-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Might be hard to get hands on one, I asked at my LGS, they had not heard of them. And a friend who works in a different gun store had not heard of them.

FergusonTO35
01-07-2016, 04:05 PM
I like the P320 mechanicals, but the looks just turn me off. Don't know why their cheaper lines (Sig Pro, P250, P320) don't have the clean, trim contours of their classic pistols.

FergusonTO35
01-07-2016, 04:06 PM

Ruger did just that when they started putting those hideous Hogue grips on GP-100's instead of the Lett grips that everyone loves.

JeffG
01-08-2016, 12:48 AM
Might be hard to get hands on one, I asked at my LGS, they had not heard of them. And a friend who works in a different gun store had not heard of them.

I actually had one in my hands today at LGS. Definite a full size piece and looked bigger in person than on web page. It had a pretty strong looking barrel, looked like a steel or alloy guide rod. The slide when racking was very smooth and the serrations felt positive. It came with 3 palm swells. The medium was on it I believe and had a nice feel. I did not pull the trigger. Ruger had sent along a Ruger branded holster that I believe is called the Total Eclipse, which is on their website. They had received 4 of them, I believe 2 in 9mm and 2 in 45 ACP. I believe they'd already sold 2 and had gotten them on Tuesday of this week. I liked it. Not sure I could carry it concealed, a little big for that. I want to think it was priced at $499, but might be wrong on that. I could see it being in the stable. I'm a little more interested in an M&P 45ACP Compact, but could probably be swayed.

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2016, 08:20 AM
get the m&p compact 45. I got one a couple months ago and I just love mine. Just make sure your careful when ordering so you don't get one with those stupid safetys on it. They make it both ways.

JeffG
01-08-2016, 11:28 PM
get the m&p compact 45. I got one a couple months ago and I just love mine. Just make sure your careful when ordering so you don't get one with those stupid safetys on it. They make it both ways.

Yep, going to the gun show in the morning. It just might happen.

FergusonTO35
01-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Sounds like the American may have some of the features that so endeared people to the P guns. Big and blocky, reasonable price, just keeps on working no matter what. I hope it turns out to be a perennial favorite and not just a flavor of the month.