PDA

View Full Version : name this boolit mould

Newtire
04-19-2008, 11:29 PM
I took a trip down to Florida this past week & found an antique shop specializing in guns & the guy even had bullet moulds. It was quite a place with Spencer rifles & carbines, Winchesters, Colt & Smith & Wessons and various other items. It was ina place called the Antique Mall in St. Petersburg. Great guy to talk to.

To get to the point, I bought a mould for a .32 made by Winchester.

Now that I am home, I cast a few tonight and think this may be a heeled type bullet. It is maked "32 L".

Here is a picture. It has a solid base and looks to weigh around 90 grains. I have a severe case of jet-lag & don't want to set up my scale tonight. I know I know...wimp is me right about now. Anyhow, here it is. Any ideas? Click on picture to enlarge the picture.

floodgate
04-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Newtire:

It looks like that Winchester mould is cut for a heeled bullet for the .32 Long Colt. Weight should run about 90 gs. in soft lead or a low-tin alloy.

Fg

Bret4207
04-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Ditto what Doug said.

Newtire
04-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks you guys! Is there a chance that thing will shoot in a .32 mag? Seems like about the same as shooting a gas checked design without the gas check.?

Bent Ramrod
04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Newtire,

The .32 L's from my Winchester mould mike out at 0.311"-0.312" across the widest band. These are made out of melted down .22 bullets so any harder alloy might be slightly greater in diameter when cast.

If you want to try, I'd suggest staying with the lighter loads. That long shank and the short bearing surface means not a lot of support in the case. It was meant to be outside lubricated and stuck into the rifling leade ahead of the shell, so I would guess it wouldn't take much to cock or tilt it in the shell when used as an inside lubed boolit.