PDA

View Full Version : Irs scam

xs11jack
01-01-2016, 12:51 AM
I got two phone calls a couple of days ago when the Shari and I were out most of the day. They were scam IRS calls. One is a female that kind of sounds like a recording. She says something like "This is the IRS, we have filed a court order against you. To settle this immediately call this number." I did not save the phone number but the area code was from Washington state. The second call was a male and gave a spiel about the same as the first one. This call had a New York state area code. First of all I am not a lawyer but I have been in law enforcement and know that you can not file a court order against someone without serving them with the court papers that inform you of the charges and a court date. Second the IRS doesn't call about fines and court business, they send registered letters. Thirdly, I live about 40 miles west of St.Louis, Mo. There is no way an that TWO IRS offices from out of state would have anything to do with a Missouri case.
OK, more info, I just saw a local TV news report that says the St.Louis area is just one area that is being flooded with (besides the water we got the last week) these scam calls. The news reporters interviewed the head of the local IRS office in St.Louis and he said that some of them are being traced to overseas locations. He also admitted that he got a call too!! They showed one of the phone numbers on the screen but it happened so fast I only got the last 4 digits and they are 4411. Shari at the time we got the phone calls, tried to call the number in Washington but got a message saying the number was out of service and to call another number. She called that number but it was busy. She then called the New York number and it was busy too. Then she called the local IRS number to report the scam and would you believe there is a 1 hour wait for that number!! So please don't fall for this scam and tell everyone you know about it.
Ole Jack

jsizemore
01-01-2016, 01:06 AM
I got the recorded female computer voice twice about 2 months ago. I went online to discover the same recorded voice in a cautionary notice.

MrWolf
01-01-2016, 01:19 AM
The IRS will never call. If you get a call it is a scam. I got a call one day and told the bozo I was a CPA, click...

Rick Hodges
01-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Haha! I got the woman on the phone, she said to pay up now or the sheriff would be on the way to lock me up. I told her to bring it on. It is a popular scam and many people give them credit card info to settle. The IRS just doesn't work that way. Some people are so afraid that they just pay up. This has been going on for years.

opos
01-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Fact that does not change...The IRS does not call, text, e mail or do social media...they contact via snail mail...then possible follow up in person at their office...any phone contact is a flat scam...this was verified by several IRS personnel that were on various TV news broadcasts before Christmas...same exact story from each...old scam...sounds very official..people give their "IRS" employee number and title...scare the dickens out of older folks...if you don't get a letter...hang up and have breakfast..when they call back...hang up and have lunch, etc.

bedbugbilly
01-01-2016, 09:44 AM
This scam has been going on all over the country. We had a rash of it earlier this summer in my area in MI - a lot of warnings in the local paper about it but still several got scammed. About a month ago, we had a e-mail from our HOA in AZ warning about the same thing as it was happening in the Tucson/Sahuarita/Green Valley area and I would imagine other places as well.

Don't you just love how some people work so hard to scam others . . . if only they put that energy in to working an honest job.

RayinNH
01-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Probably all that money the Nigerian prince left you.

Skunk1
01-01-2016, 10:08 AM
We got them all summer long. One from WA, one from CA. Lady spoke with an accent. Probably at least 6-10 calls this summer.

fatnhappy
01-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Ironically, I got a letter from the IRS this summer and I assumed it was a scam since this is so prevalent. Turns out it was not........

alamogunr
01-01-2016, 10:40 AM
We've never gotten one of these calls. I guess that somehow they know you can't get blood out of a turnip.

jonas302
01-01-2016, 10:48 AM
I thought the IRS was a scam (:

GabbyM
01-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Heard a Decatur Illinois radio station mention this IRS scam around Thanksgiving.
They are first phishing for people who know they have cheated the IRS and may panic.
What is surprising is that otherwise intelligent people will fall for it.

Hawks Feather
01-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Had this same call twice on the answering machine in the past month. The nice thing about caller ID is that you know the number and if I don't know the number it goes to the answering machine for a screening.

Kraschenbirn
01-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Got one of those calls back in November. Told her she'd have to talk to the lawyer handling my bankruptcy and gave her the phone number for our local FBI office. (No, I haven't filed for bankruptcy and I had the FBI # off the top of my head because the previous SAC - recently retired - is a shooting buddy.)

Bill

snowwolfe
01-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Next time she calls ask her what she is wearing and tell her you are naked and playing with yourself.

ol skool
01-01-2016, 03:33 PM
That National Do Not Call List is workin' out great, eh?

crowbuster
01-01-2016, 03:43 PM
My lady was from minnesota and was less than receptive when I offered bring it by her address as i would be in her area in a few days. Did a reverse number look up and had her address. funny. calls quiT

Skunk1
01-01-2016, 08:48 PM
That National Do Not Call List is workin' out great, eh?

NO, hasn't worked since I signed up.

Mtnfolk75
01-01-2016, 08:56 PM
We don't have an answering machine but do have caller ID, if I don't recognize the number or name it gets picked up and then hung up immediately. We live so far into the stone age that we don't watch TV either ..... [smilie=s:

Eddie17
01-01-2016, 09:39 PM
My wife screened a call offering an upgrade on our home security system. Wife said we just upgraded our system, you must be looking at old records! Call was not from our security company, was a scam. Love my wife!

MaryB
01-02-2016, 01:20 AM
Same morons that call with the credit card scam. My favorite is a recording using the same voice anonymous uses that says "this number has been traced, we are anonymous. Shooters are waiting in the parking lot" then I hang up What is a scammer going to do? Call the cops? :bigsmyl2: go for it so I can ID the scum and have them hauled to jail!

rush1886
01-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Got one a while back--feller had an Indian or Pakistani accent--said he was from Microsoft and my computer was causing problems on the local net. He needed to fix it. Told him to go right ahead. He needed me to turn it on and get on the internet, and go to a particular address. Told him it was on, was connected to the internet, and if he didn't know this, how did he figure my box was the one raising problems? Played with him for few more minutes, acting dumb. Then told him my "scanner" program had locked on to his caller ID and he could expect a visit from the constabulary shortly. He hung up. Didn't even wish me a Nice Day or anything!

Kraschenbirn
01-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Got one a while back--feller had an Indian or Pakistani accent--said he was from Microsoft and my computer was causing problems on the local net. He needed to fix it. Told him to go right ahead. He needed me to turn it on and get on the internet, and go to a particular address. Told him it was on, was connected to the internet, and if he didn't know this, how did he figure my box was the one raising problems? Played with him for few more minutes, acting dumb. Then told him my "scanner" program had locked on to his caller ID and he could expect a visit from the constabulary shortly. He hung up. Didn't even wish me a Nice Day or anything!

Yeah, I hear from those guys once or twice a week. Caller I.D. screening doesn't help with them because they're using either blocked numbers or 'burner' cellphones. DO NOT ALLOW THESE CLOWNS ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER!! They appear to target 'seniors'...probably because much of the 'older generation', generally, doesn't have much in the way of computer savvy...and, once they're 'in', they'll run a 'diagnostic' then come back and announce they've located a "serious virus" on your system and it will cost $XXX to remove it. Actually, they've bypassed your security program and planted a virus that, if you decline to 'subscribe' to their service, will cause your system to begin experiencing 'blue screen crashes' within the next 24-48 hours.

Didn't happen to me but I know someone who took the bait and it required taking her CPU in to a local computer service and considerable $$$ to recover her files and get her back online.

Bill

pressonregardless
01-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Just your basic central bank collection agency.

INTERNAL REVENUE TAX AND AUDIT SERVICE (IRS)
For Profit General Delaware Corporation
Incorporation Date 7/12/33
File No. 0325720

TXGunNut
01-02-2016, 02:24 PM
It's sad that folks fall for these scams and we know that some obviously do, otherwise there wouldn't be so many folks playing the game. Hardly ever get a call these days, don't have a land line and won't answer a call I don't recognize.

woodbutcher
01-02-2016, 09:48 PM
:bigsmyl2: Had one of those calls about 2 months ago.Called the little snots heritage and parentage into question.Got real quiet on her end,and then a disconnect.NO calls since.Hehehe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Rufus Krile
01-03-2016, 01:31 AM
Had one of these calls offering to fix the problems with my Windows program... Through one thing or another, managed to eat up about an hour of Raji's time (cuts into his productivity) before I got around to explaining to him that my Windows Program probably wasn't in error, since I have a Mac. Told him I look forward to hearing from him again since I'm retired and have plenty of time to play with him. Some cultures are woefully short on humor.