PDA

View Full Version : Windowed seating die ?

FWest
12-31-2015, 06:43 AM
Been looking at the RCBS Gold Metal seating die for .223 That I load on a LnL AP. I stumbled across this, http://reloaders.com/bullet-seating-die-body-only/ seems you could add quite a few calibers and be save some $ in the process. Anyone have this die ?

Anschutz
12-31-2015, 08:12 AM
I've never seen this thing but that doesn't mean much. I would be interested but they only go up to .358 and most of my reloading is 44Mag and 45-70. What are you loading the 223 for?

Wayne Smith
12-31-2015, 08:44 AM
They have been around for a long time in the target community. The Vickerman die was very similar. At $18 per caliber it is pretty expensive for all the calibers I load for.

FWest
12-31-2015, 09:20 AM
I've never seen this thing but that doesn't mean much. I would be interested but they only go up to .358 and most of my reloading is 44Mag and 45-70. What are you loading the 223 for?
Mostly AR's but I do also load for a Marlin X7VH. Almost all jacketed.

John J
12-31-2015, 11:27 AM
Greetings

just beware that the RCBS seating dies need to use the extended shell holder for seating.

I have bendable to modify the die(223/308) to use it on the Dillon 650.

hope this helps

John J

AbitNutz
01-01-2016, 08:03 AM
There are two versions of the RCBS "Window" die. There is the Competition seating die and the Gold Medal seating die. They are different. The competition die can not be used in a progressive press and requires and extended shell holder which RCBS says comes with it. The Gold Medal dies do not require an extended shell holder (with the exception of the Rem 221 and 22 Hornet.)

This is from the RCBS Gold Medal seating die insrtuctions:

The Gold Medal dies are designed to be used with stan-
dard RCBS shell holders. The .22 Hornet and .221 Rem
Fire Ball sets include an extended shell holder for proper
bullet seating. The extended shell holder is not intended
to be used with the Sizing die.

This has been my experience. I have Gold Medal dies in 220 Swift. 223 Remington and 308 Winchester. None require an extended shell holder.

The Gold Medal dies cost more than the competition dies.

BudRow
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM
I have an old Herters "Window" seating die and I am always hunting for the various bullet guide collars for it. Let me know if anyone can help. TIA Bud

Lars-K
01-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Weatherby had a dieset made by Pasific with a window in the bullet seating die. There was also a insert for neck sizing the case using the same die. I have several of them. The neck sizer insert was only for the smaller calibers, up to 300Wby. They was produced in the 70's, up to the end of the 80's.