PDA

View Full Version : What to consider when buying alloy?

JohnH
12-30-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm writing off the top of my head as I think this through some, so it may be a bit rambling. I've been casting since the mid 1980's. To say that wheel weights have been my friend wold be an under statement. Over the years I've landed a few deals on some linotype and pure lead and I generally mix these at 2 parts lead to one part lino for an alloy that is pretty similar to WW these days. But times are changing and availability of scrounged lead sources are not so easy to come by, combine that with a move to another state and a different lifestyle and my scrounging days are numbered. Which brings me to how to supply my basic lead needs. Buying seems to be the simple answer. But from whom, and most precisely what. The majority of my shooting is with boolits at 900 fps. I do some shooting at 1600 fps. Plain Jane ACWW has served humbly and well for my needs. I can only assume that when buying alloy, I will still need to reduce the factory ingots to ingots for my lead pot. I assume there will be a lot less fuss in getting/keeping the alloy clean. I figure cost wise, it will be about half of what I could buy boolits for. This part makes me wonder though I have moulds that my guns like and I'd hate to have to begin a search for the "right boolit" again, only to have it become unavailable. I enjoy the process enough that cost itself is not a deterrent. Perhaps I'm just seeking to know what others experience in this area have been, what are the ups and downs of it. Thanks, John

runfiverun
12-30-2015, 10:40 PM
well buying leaves you options.
and you do get a known, consistent alloy.

you could buy 2/6/92 like the commercial casters use easy enough.
and pure lead easy enough also and cut it in half to basically duplicate ww alloy with a bit more tin.
this is a good casting alloy that is very versatile, it's what I used to use cut in half with clip on ww alloy when I was in the casting business.
the added ww's [free back then] gave me a little arsenic to help when heat treating and cut my costs substantially.

I have often though about making the investment and buying 1-k of each and just forgetting scrounging ww's.
cut with the ww's I have now that would give me enough alloy to make about 200-k more, 200gr bullets which should be about enough for my lifetime combined with the buckets full I already have.

retread
12-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I have been real satisfied with the COWW offered here on the forum by our sponsor vendors. I would recommend "The Captain". Kathie sends good clean ingots, always with a plus margin on weight and in a timely manner. The price is good and Katie is a pleasure to deal with.

dragon813gt
12-30-2015, 10:49 PM
Buy in bulk, I'm talking a thousand pounds or more. And buy from a foundry. This way you get a known alloy for not much more than what people sell WW ingots for. When you buy in bulk you won't be paying anywhere close to $2 a pound.

12-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Buy in bulk, I'm talking a thousand pounds or more. And buy from a foundry. This way you get a known alloy for not much more than what people sell WW ingots for. When you buy in bulk you won't be paying anywhere close to $2 a pound.

You can buy from here on the forums for less than anywhere I have seen elsewhere. I had been buying up COWW in ingot form on ebay and have yet to be screwed. As long as it doesn't have zinc in it, you really can't get screwed because lead is still lead. My COWW has come from 4 sources and they all water drop bullets in the 12 to 14bhr range. I've bought Lino and Mono on ebay as well but only buy that in it's original form to be assured of what I am getting. My COWW is always about $1.50lb delivered and Lino/Mono/Foundry just over $2.00lb delivered. That $2.00 makes 45 30 caliber bullets for my 300AAC or 56 9mm. Any way you slice it, that's cheap entertainment.

dragon813gt
12-31-2015, 10:28 AM
You can buy from here on the forums for less than anywhere I have seen elsewhere. I had been buying up COWW in ingot form on ebay and have yet to be screwed. As long as it doesn't have zinc in it, you really can't get screwed because lead is still lead. My COWW has come from 4 sources and they all water drop bullets in the 12 to 14bhr range. I've bought Lino and Mono on ebay as well but only buy that in it's original form to be assured of what I am getting. My COWW is always about $1.50lb delivered and Lino/Mono/Foundry just over $2.00lb delivered. That $2.00 makes 45 30 caliber bullets for my 300AAC or 56 9mm. Any way you slice it, that's cheap entertainment.

Lots of ifs and unknown alloys in that post. $1.50 shipped for COWW, I will pass. I've posted this before but I was able to buy foundry certified 96/2/2 for $1.32 shipped. Buying 70# boxes at a time of unknown alloy is how a lot of people like to do it. Buying in bulk has lots of advantages which was the point of my original post.

LuckyDog
12-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Yes Dragon,

but 70# @ $1.50 = $105
1000# @ 1.32 = $1,320

IF you KNOW you'll use that amount and that mix is what you need, good-on-ya.

Otherwise, 70# gives me about 2,800 50cal roundballs. That is a LOT for me.

fredj338
12-31-2015, 01:27 PM

This is probably the best option, especially if you go in with a couple of other shooters & buy a couple tons. Still, the vendors here are an option. I occasionally buy alloy here & have had good results.

RogerDat
12-31-2015, 01:41 PM
I scrounge, but then the thrill of the treasure hunt is part of the fun for me. If I was a competitive shooter where there was significant value in anything that added consistency to the finished ammo it might make buying in bulk from a foundry such as Rotometals an attractive option.

Otherwise I would buy from forum members in swapping and selling. Buck a pound for finished WW or plain ingots, or two bucks for linotype is a better bargain in terms of price than foundry and the lead is just as good. Generally close to 50 or 60% of the cost of foundry. If you want a big stash then buy more each month than you use, eventually you will have a stash.

If you have storage space and the funds you are willing to dedicate to a single large purchase then buying a pallet load of casting alloy would yield a better than normal price per pound for good lead.

Many of us consider a couple of buckets worth of lead WW's (200#) a good stash, others think in terms of 1000 lb. stacks. Personally I'm sort of in the middle, and a little biased since I sometimes buy more than I need if I find some especially good lead and sell/trade with it on S&S. I think in say a couple of years I bought about 3 larger purchases (which I sold about 1/2) and many months of 100# coming in and 30# getting cast. Not working on my first ton of stash anymore, but am working on the second, just at a slower rate say 50# a month. Poster child for a lead savings account that builds up over time.

So big purchase all at once, or steady buying (or scrounging) of more than you use, either one leaves you able to cast what you want, when you want, for what you want, well into the future. To borrow and re-purpose a phrase from the hippies of the 60's, lead and components will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no lead or components. Getting the stash whichever way is all good.

dragon813gt
12-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Yes Dragon,

but 70# @ $1.50 = $105
1000# @ 1.32 = $1,320

The OP said he doesn't mind spending money. Which is why I've been mentioning buying in bulk. Unless you're shooting muzzleloaders or swaging you will be able to use an alloy w/ tin and antimony in it.

12-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Lots of ifs and unknown alloys in that post. $1.50 shipped for COWW, I will pass. I've posted this before but I was able to buy foundry certified 96/2/2 for $1.32 shipped. Buying 70# boxes at a time of unknown alloy is how a lot of people like to do it. Buying in bulk has lots of advantages which was the point of my original post.

Where do you see an "if" in my entire post? As for unknowns, I confirmed that I have 4 ebay sources for COWW and they all check out. Where are you buying foundry certified 96/2/2 for $1.32 shipped. I'd like to order some.

JohnH
12-31-2015, 09:02 PM
The OP said he doesn't mind spending money. Which is why I've been mentioning buying in bulk. Unless you're shooting muzzleloaders or swaging you will be able to use an alloy w/ tin and antimony in it.
Some perspective from the OP... It would take me about a year of saving and using a some of my Christmas bonus to buy 1000 lbs. But if the last ten years is any indication, that is slightly more than 10 years worth of shooting for me. Considering the condition of my health (two heart attacks in the last 15 years) that has a good chance of being a life time supply. Heck, I can borrow that amount and pay it back in less than 18 months. It's really a better option than some might think at first glance. Many of us scrimp and save and wring George's neck until we are able to purchase the most recent coveted gun. Why wouldn't spend a similar amount to shoot it? I spend at least half that amount buying powder and primers in a year. It may be that buying some here, there, and yonder at a slightly higher price is the route I'll take for a while, but in the end, I do believe that the best bang for the buck would be a true bulk buy of 1000 lbs is a far better idea than it might first appear. Thanks

RogerDat
12-31-2015, 09:14 PM
Saving $300 on buying 1k lbs. by purchasing in S&S is a fairly significant price reduction compared to foundry bulk price and that is purchasing a box or two at a time if you want to spread the purchases out. Or you might get a deal if you purchased a larger quantity from some here.

dverna
01-01-2016, 02:18 PM
John

I went through the same thinking a few years back and purchased a ton of "hardball" alloy. With shipping it came to about $1.60 delivered. There are a lot of advantages for me. No time spent scrounging or smelting---and a known alloy. It is a lifetime supply but it does not go bad.

R5R makes a good point.

Don