PDA

View Full Version : Best toy levergun?

Silvercreek Farmer
12-30-2015, 07:00 PM
The boy wants to buy one with his Christmas money...

runfiverun
12-30-2015, 09:35 PM
heck they still make the red-ryder bb gun.
just don't put any BB's in it and let him have at it. [last I seen they were about 30 bucks]
I remember my BIL getting shot by his boy about 2 seconds after giving him his. the look on both their faces would have been a priceless 'Kodak moment'
my BIL had just bent over to straighten up the target plate and the temptation was too much for the 4 y.o.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-30-2015, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I've already suggested that, but the boss shot it down pretty quickly. I had to agree as I don't really want to get him in the "it's not loaded" mindset.

bedbugbilly
12-30-2015, 10:32 PM
If I remember correctly - I had a Daisy when I was a kid - about three centuries ago! Anyway, IIRC, if you cocked it and didn't bring the lever back up against the stock - then pulled the trigger - that lever would come flying back up against the stock with a pretty good thump . . . probably enough to break a finger - don't even ask how I know that! :-) Just thinking that for a small younger boy, might not be the best idea until he gets a little older - but you said the "boss" put the kibosh on anyway.

I remember having a "Mattel" toy rifle I had as a kid as well - a rolling block no less! You had the cartridge casing that had a spring in it and you pushed a plastic bullet in until it snapped in. The force of the hammer falling released the plastic bullet and it would go across the room pretty well - then you'd find it and could use it all over again. Not having kids nor grandchildren - we don't shop the toy stores so don't know what there is out there. I have a feeling that with all the treehuggin, PITA, politically correct worshippers that by now, a nice toy lever gun would be "frowned upon". But then we don't have the Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Sky King, etc. white hatted good guy heroes to look up to anymore either.

Good luck Silvercreek on your search and I hope you find something that he'll like. Have you looked on fleabay to see if there is anything there?

swamp
12-30-2015, 11:28 PM
bedbug,
I had one of those rifles. There were others, M/L copies that used cork ball and greenie stickem caps. Remember buying a lot of the bullets.
swamp

goodolejim
12-30-2015, 11:45 PM
heck they still make the red-ryder bb gun.
just don't put any BB's in it and let him have at it. [last I seen they were about 30 bucks]
I remember my BIL getting shot by his boy about 2 seconds after giving him his. the look on both their faces would have been a priceless 'Kodak moment'
my BIL had just bent over to straighten up the target plate and the temptation was too much for the 4 y.o.

"The little bastard shot me in the ***", The Waco Kid/Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles.

bubba.50
12-31-2015, 02:21 AM
I've always been partial to the Marlin Model 336 :bigsmyl2:.

bikerbeans
12-31-2015, 10:59 AM
Rossi.

BB

dagger dog
12-31-2015, 11:49 AM
http://www.armory.net/replica-guns/replica-rifles

Look at these.

shooter93
12-31-2015, 07:23 PM
A Fanner 50....the Rifleman's rifle....Lone Ranger two gun set......probably none of those available now but I bet many members here remember them.....smiles. Elmer Keith once said he never gave his kids toy guns because he said he thought it might give them a wrong idea about guns but at a very early age he gave them a real one and taught them correctly. But I sure most of us here had lots of toy guns though......don't let him get near a school with it though....he'll get suspended or worse.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-31-2015, 08:55 PM
Took the boy and his little brother to Wally World today. After a little fine negotiation, not one, but two Red Riders made it home! Had to make a few extra stops to find some BBs but before long an array of plastic bottle and cans was set up and a fun time was had by all! (Even me!)

popper
12-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Iirc you take the tube out it will go bang but cannot shoot anything.

destrux
01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
I bought my son one of these bolt action "nerf" guns at Walmart and he loves the thing. He's 4 and this is the only nerf gun he could cock himself. It works just like a real bolt action rifle too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Air-Warriors-Predator/37693378

It's pretty durable too, which I was worried about when I bought it because my kid could break a bowling ball.

I see amazon sells a lever action version too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GL1OL2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0061HCT8W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NBPZE4D3Z7CQ6ZY169X

bubba.50
01-07-2016, 08:17 PM
destrux, yer son sounds like my brother. he could tear up an iron wedge with a feather-duster.

Fishman
01-07-2016, 11:54 PM
My boy had a toy muzzleloader that he cocked and shot so much that the pot metal hammer and anvil mushroomed out. One evening he was doing his best Daniel Day Lewis Last of the Mohicans impression in the house. You know, the one where he runs down the deer in the opening scenes. Well, the rifle barrel caught on something and his pinky got dislocated and broken. He was six I think, and he was so tickled with his cool cast.

Point is, little boys will find a way to hurt themselves with just about anything.

lead-1
01-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Several years back I bought the boys a couple of these from the Dollar General Store, for plastic they held up real well and to a fair amount of abuse. They have a side loading gate just like the real ones and when you work the lever the dummy shells eject out the top.
Check a Dollar General Store near by to see if they have one.

shooterg
01-08-2016, 10:53 PM
The nerf guns will actually dent (empty)aluminum drink cans . Stacked 'em about a thousand times for the grandson after Christmas ! Plus the cans make noise toppling.

Lance Boyle
01-10-2016, 12:52 PM
The Daisy is cheaper by a $100 but here is this;

http://www.evike.com/products/37515/

shoots airsoft bb's. Took me 30 seconds on google. ;-]