PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a Good Butcher Knife set that will hold an edge

Down South
12-30-2015, 05:25 PM
I need a good Butcher Knife set, 3-5 Knifes that will hold an edge. I know they aren't cheap but I am tired of using a set that came from Walley World or wherever that comes in the nice looking but worthless knife block.
The stainless knives are pretty much useless to me. I can put a half a$$ edge on one and it lasts about 5 minutes when I'm using it to actually butcher meat like the three deer that I processed last week.

Guys, give me a few options on knife sets that you "Use" and will retain an edge.

Sam

Smoke4320
12-30-2015, 05:30 PM
J. A. Henckels 2 man or 3 man marked knives will last you a lifetime if cared for properly
Hint 3 man marked are higher priced and better quality
These are not cheap by any means but are worth it

JWT
12-30-2015, 05:36 PM
J. A. Henckels

GabbyM
12-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Lampson's Sharp is an American made brand.

Here is a place to shop. You can get American made pots and pans here for less than the PRC stuff at Walmart. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/restaurant-smallwares.html

Here are the Victorinox butcher knives. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-42531-8-butcher-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35342531.html

DougGuy
12-30-2015, 05:40 PM
I found venison to dull a knife faster than anything known to man! So it's not so much the knives, it's the material that's dulling the blades.

After WWII ended, the Japanese couldn't make swords anymore but they had a centuries old industry that converted overnight to making cutlery. Look on ebay for some early Frontier Forge knives, these are not really pretty but man, the steel in these bad boys won't even rust if you leave it in the rain! It turns a dark gray. THIS STUFF is as good as it gets for knives and yes you will take one blade and go through 3 deer and dang near can still shave arm hairs with it.

The steel in these early Japan made knives CANNOT be sharpened with a pull-thru carbide sharpener! It is THAT hard!

Later Frontier Forge were made in Taiwan. Good stainless blades but nothing like the real deal Japan knives, and you can get these for 1/3 the price of some cheap a** Chinese cr@p from wallyworld.

I bought an exact copy of this knife at a flea market for $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD-FRONTIER-FORGE-KNIFE-WOOD-HANDLE-ANVIL-MARK-MUST-SEE-/121850424960?hash=item1c5ed9ee80:g:iLkAAOSwlV9WQ96 H

Another nice old Japan made Frontier Forge butcher knife:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-Nice-Old-Vintage-Frontier-Forge-7-Chefs-Butcher-Knife-Wood-Handle-RARE-/361209707717?hash=item5419c6bcc5:g:zmAAAOSwk5FU1VN U

These are good too for stainless, I have one that's been with me 35yrs and keeps an edge quite well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-THE-MASTER-CARVER-2-KNIFE-SET-FRONTIER-FORGE-J7001-JAPAN-/191761507163?hash=item2ca5e0635b:g:DzMAAOSw6dNWSi3 A

Artful
12-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Don't buy SETS - buy the individual knives that you NEED.

I have knives from Henckels, Gerber, Tommer, Old Hickory, Cutco, Victorinox and other's Buy a good brand and get what feels "right" and blade shape you want.
You'll need a couple of knives that will work well for you and in a set you buy some you'll seldom if ever use in most cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADfj0Z_6KM

You may want to check out restaurant supply stores in Houston
A quick googleage away. For example
http://www.acemart.com/restaurant-kitchen-supplies/cutlery/knives/c230-c625-c626-p1.html

dragon813gt
12-30-2015, 05:48 PM
I know many don't like them and say they are over priced garbage. But I have Cutcos in my kitchen. My mother is still using the ones she got at her wedding in the mid 70s. I inherited some of my grandmother's and I know they are significantly older than my mother's. They aren't cheap but my family has gotten decades of service out of them. And they stand behind their product.

Walkingwolf
12-30-2015, 05:53 PM
http://www.kascosharptech.com/

This company supplies knives to professional butchers. My knives came from them while working as a butcher. They are not cheap, but they are affordable.

opos
12-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Henckels...get the top of the line or Victor Inox (formerly Forschner)...

I've used both for a long time...the Helckels at home and the Forschners on the boats....Never seen anything keep an edge or take the abuse of the Forschners..

http://www.j-a-henckels.com/en-US

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/victorinox-cutlery

nagantguy
12-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Old hickory, hammer forged, victrorinox/forschner. Old, old hickory knives are my favorite. But the Swiss really have good steel and good blade design

skeettx
12-30-2015, 06:38 PM
I use Case XX The Early American knives
Example here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-SC684-SSP-Early-Americans-8-Boning-Utility-Knife-Stainless-Blade-/262171038417?hash=item3d0a9c92d1:g:B8kAAOSwcBhWXky 5

Jeff Michel
12-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Victorinox, you can order them straight from Koch or Butcher Packer Supply. get a 5" curve boning, 10 " cimeter, and sheep skinner. Get Rosewood or the Kraton handles. The poly ones get real slippery when you get fat on them. You will be set for every task with those three knives. Been using those three styles of knives for almost 40 years.

shooter93
12-30-2015, 07:01 PM
A. J. Russell.....they have a ton of quality knives by the set or individually.

lancem
12-30-2015, 07:05 PM
I found venison to dull a knife faster than anything known to man! So it's not so much the knives, it's the material that's dulling the blades.

After WWII ended, the Japanese couldn't make swords anymore but they had a centuries old industry that converted overnight to making cutlery. Look on ebay for some early Frontier Forge knives, these are not really pretty but man, the steel in these bad boys won't even rust if you leave it in the rain! It turns a dark gray. THIS STUFF is as good as it gets for knives and yes you will take one blade and go through 3 deer and dang near can still shave arm hairs with it.

The steel in these early Japan made knives CANNOT be sharpened with a pull-thru carbide sharpener! It is THAT hard!

Later Frontier Forge were made in Taiwan. Good stainless blades but nothing like the real deal Japan knives, and you can get these for 1/3 the price of some cheap a** Chinese cr@p from wallyworld.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD-FRONTIER-FORGE-KNIFE-WOOD-HANDLE-ANVIL-MARK-MUST-SEE-/121850424960?hash=item1c5ed9ee80:g:iLkAAOSwlV9WQ96 H

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-Nice-Old-Vintage-Frontier-Forge-7-Chefs-Butcher-Knife-Wood-Handle-RARE-/361209707717?hash=item5419c6bcc5:g:zmAAAOSwk5FU1VN U

These are good too for stainless, I have one that's been with me 35yrs and keeps an edge quite well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-THE-MASTER-CARVER-2-KNIFE-SET-FRONTIER-FORGE-J7001-JAPAN-/191761507163?hash=item2ca5e0635b:g:DzMAAOSw6dNWSi3 A

Doug is right on about the Frontier Forge knives, my wife had some that she considered her junk knives as they were old and discolored. Took a stone to them and man oh man that is some steel. After using them for a bit I went to ebay and bought several more of my favorite sizes and they are my go to for everything. Highly recommended.

GRUMPA
12-30-2015, 07:06 PM
I only get knives individually. Most of the time it's going to garage (GARBAGE) sales.

The key is to look for the "HIGH CARBON" steel mark on the blade. Back then things were made to last and high carbon is it. Now-A-Days things are meant to look "PRETTY" but aren't worth a tinkers put-tootie and wont hold an edge if your life depended on it.

big bore 99
12-30-2015, 07:21 PM
High carbon is the trick. Avoid stainless steel. Take a magnet with when you go shopping. If it doesen't stick, keep looking. Some 400 series stainless will stick a little. High carbon will take a razor edge you can shave with and highly magnetic. After sharpening, give it a couple licks on an Arkansas hard stone and then I use a leather strop treated with some fine valve grinding compound. Strop it then occasionally otherwise you'll need to take it to a stone again. A good high carbon blade will rust easily. When done, washed off and dried I wipe it down with a little vegetable oil before putting it away. You might have good luck finding an old butcher knife at a resale shop. A truly sharp knife is a thing of beauty to work with.

Walkingwolf
12-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Victorinox, you can order them straight from Koch or Butcher Packer Supply. get a 5" curve boning, 10 " cimeter, and sheep skinner. Get Rosewood or the Kraton handles. The poly ones get real slippery when you get fat on them. You will be set for every task with those three knives. Been using those three styles of knives for almost 40 years.

I cut notches in the handles with the band saw. It was how I kept my knives separate from other butchers knives. I use a 12 inch scimitar, 10 inch scimitar, 8 and 6 inch boning knives. Since I stopped working I hardly pick up the 12 inch anymore though.

DerekP Houston
12-30-2015, 07:45 PM
shameless plug for local houston guy. Serenity Knives in the heights. Acemart is right next door as well.

Ole Joe Clarke
12-30-2015, 07:58 PM
All 400 series is both magnetic and heat treatable. If you have a SS pistol it's 400 series.

10x
12-30-2015, 08:11 PM

Understated. My wife and I were given a set of Victorinox in 1973. We still use them and have found no better knife. I have only replaced paring knives and the steel. They have been in daily use for over 40 years and will still slice an over ripe tomato without crushing it

Down South
12-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just got finished cooking catffish and crappie that I caught, cleaned and cooked. That is the kind of guy that I am. I'm now checking out most of the replies that I've gotten from this thread.
As mentioned in one reply in this thread, and I already knew this, that I may have to purchase each knife that I want individually. I will do this if it it is what it takes to get a set of knives that will take me from skinning a deer/Elk to finished processing. To cleaning fish and other game.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Lot of good suggestions so far. Not generally considered kitchen knives but Mora and Martinii use some pretty good steel. Chicago Cutlery reviews are mixed but I recently got an older 6" boning knife from a yard sale that is excellent.

Blammer
12-30-2015, 09:31 PM
you guys are BAAAAAD!

knives on the way for me from Santa, (a tad late... :) )

M-Tecs
12-30-2015, 10:06 PM
I use Victorinox and F. Dick. Both are great knives. However I do not recommend the rosewood Victorinox. They are made in Brazil and they are not the same quality as the normal Victorinox.

http://www.butchersupply.net/

tygar
12-30-2015, 10:09 PM
J. A. Henckels 2 man or 3 man marked knives will last you a lifetime if cared for properly
Hint 3 man marked are higher priced and better quality
These are not cheap by any means but are worth it

Yep, about the best you can buy without spending a fortune.

Or, have a Blacksmith great uncle that made a set of carbon steel knives for his niece (my mother) in the 30s which have been passed down to me & although they have been reduced in size a little due to sharpening over the decades, will take a razor edge with a couple passes over a fine steel sharpener.

GhostHawk
12-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Old Hickory are my preferred choice for combination of price and utility.
I also have 3 old Remington Hammersmith butcherknives that I picked up off ebay cheap. Think it was 12$ for all 3 and 6$ shipping.

Same knife cleaned up sells for 50-200$

So I cleaned the green verdigris off the brass rivets, they shined right up. Polished the blades around a couple of lightly rusted spots, sharpened and oiled them. My wife doesn't like them, they are not "pretty" but they cut like a dream. She mostly uses Chicago Cutlery overpriced stainless, and that is fine. I prefer she abuse them rather than my good knives.

I also have original Rapala knives in 3 sizes hanging on my fridge and if I need really sharp I reach for one of them.

PULSARNC
12-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Been using some reclaimed knives from a commercial poultry processing plant for the last 20 years or so they are Victorianox commercial knives Have bought several more over the years but my best knife is one I made from a 100 year old crosscut blade

MaryB
12-30-2015, 11:27 PM
If you want a good starter set for ALL kinds of kitchen tasks the Forschner Fibrox are decent http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/deluxe-knife-attache-case-set-p16736 I have that set and it is over 10 years old.

USMC87
12-30-2015, 11:41 PM
I guess since I am a knife maker I would have to agree on the high carbon blades, They are easier to sharpen and depending on the heat treat they can and should hold a good edge. As far as high carbon 1095 will do just fine and won't break the bank, I make a lot of hunting knives and my customers always say they want stainless steel so it won't rust, It is exactly that it stains less but will rust if not taken care of and is hard to sharpen. I can say a good ole high carbon saw blade knife or one of 1095 will last a life time and will perform to your standards. The Old Hickory knives are high carbon and are probably the most used and known but there are a lot of choices to pick from so do some searches and check reviews.

smokeywolf
12-30-2015, 11:41 PM
For butchering in the field I use an early 1940s Randall and a mid 1960s Case folding knife. At home I use one of 2 Shun knives that get daily use in the kitchen.

I'm with the others in this thread who have counciled you to buy knives individually rather than in set$.

str8shot426
12-30-2015, 11:49 PM
I remember mom having a carving set she got out every thanksgiving. The knife, fork and steel were all stag handled and wore a Sheffield England hallmark.
That was one sharp knife!

Frank46
12-31-2015, 12:27 AM
I have some of the Old Hickory knives that are well over 30 years old. Still easy to sharpen and take a good edge. My wife is the only person that can take a a freshly sharpened knife and reduce it's cutting edge to something that won't cut butter in less time than it took to post this. Dexter is another brand I've seen many a butcher whip out a sharpening steel and proceed to cut meat. Frank

David2011
12-31-2015, 03:27 AM
On the recommendation of a friend who is a chef in Houston I bought some Calphalon Katana series knives. They're folded Damascus style high carbon stainless steel, beautifully balanced and slice like a dream. The sharpen easily and hold an edge well but will rust if not washed and dried promptly after use. You can get them at Bed, Bath and Beyond so if you get on their e-mail list you can get 20% off coupons. They're not cheap but not as spendy as some chef's knives and you can buy them individually.

David

leftiye
12-31-2015, 07:09 AM
Ed wusthoff simply the best. Holds an edge even better than Henkels. Stainless, not too hard to sharpen, but it is hard steel, and needs diamond sharpeners. If it sharpens easily, it is soft, and won't hold the edge.

bob208
12-31-2015, 09:53 AM
i use old hickory . anything else you are just paying for the name.

bassnbuck
12-31-2015, 12:41 PM
My wife is the only person that can take a a freshly sharpened knife and reduce it's cutting edge to something that won't cut butter in less time than it took to post this. Frank WRONG.... My wife specializes in knife destruction, she can dull a knife faster than your wife.:bigsmyl2:

Love Life
12-31-2015, 12:59 PM
WRONG.... My wife specializes in knife destruction, she can dull a knife faster than your wife.:bigsmyl2:

That's why all the glass cutting boards got lost in the last move.

dbh1956
12-31-2015, 01:05 PM
We use the Victorinox with the Kraton handles. Have had our set for 12 years, gave each of the daughters a set when they left home. Use the chefs and paring the most.

Le Loup Solitaire
12-31-2015, 01:24 PM
I have always used Old Hickory for a long time. Carbon steel sharpens easily and holds an edge for a reasonable time depending on what you are cutting and for how long. They are reasonably priced and do a good job. LLS

gwpercle
12-31-2015, 02:14 PM
My brother is a butcher and he gave me a boning knife made by Forschner, these are the knives they use in the butcher shop, by far the best butcher knife I own, easy to sharpen and stays sharp. It is made of a stainless type steel but sharpens and holds an edge like carbon steel. I will be buying more , they are sweet knives.
Gary

fatnhappy
12-31-2015, 02:16 PM
cutco, wusthof, henkel and victorinox all grace my kitchen. Excepting the cutco which I inherited, I bought all of them individually from Katom supply or butcher packer. I probably use my 6" henkel high carbon slicing knife more than any other. It's amazing the edge you can get on that knife.

Blackwater
12-31-2015, 02:30 PM
Wow! This is always a very good question. Victorinox is good, as are a number of others. Benchmade has a new 3-knive set that's really nice, but very expensive. Probably couldn't beat those. However, if I was going to make a purchase now, I believe I'd go with Mora Knives and the best place I've found to get them is www.ragweedforge.com

I don't have any and haven't used or even handled any, but I base that on my experience with all their other knives. The heart of any knife is the steel it's made of, and they use really good steels. They also respond quickly and easily to sharpening efforts, too, and that's always a plus with any kitchen knife, and yet, hold an edge for a very satisfyingly long time, though all knives need sharpening eventually.

There's really no wrong answer here, and mine is based strictly on related experience with their other blades, so ... take it from that perspective. With knives, there's always that mystic style thing that attracts or repels us from some. Just get what pleases you and has good steel, and you'll likely be pleased. Buying knives today is confusing because we have so many to choose from.

Down South
12-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys, already bought three knives mentioned in this thread. I'm still interested in opinions because I may/ probably will buy more.
Gonna get my BIL to make a leather roll up holder that will hold all of them. I'll have my set of knives to do whatever I need.

DougGuy
12-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Down South, which knives did you end up with? Also, what kind of cutting board(s) do you use? This has just as much to do with dulling a knife as anything else does. Non porous surfaces are the worst. Glass, plastic, easy to clean but hard surface that rolls a sharp edge right over.

For chopping, end grain boards or butcher blocks are made with the grain running up and down so the blade is not subjected to cross grain surface, and they work good. They are also quite stunning in the looks department and some are artfully executed to the point you could hang it on the wall and call it art! Alas, like everything else, there is a downside and the end grain boards soak in any liquid instantly and they warp.

A bamboo board is good for holding shape, won't dull a good edge so we use one of these. We also use a pastry board for a cutting board because it's big enough to handle a whole hind quarter, and it has a large groove around the edge of it to catch liquids. These work good and are not hard enough wood to dull a cutting edge unless you really try hard.

Then there are the tannins in the wood that attacks food borne bacteria and makes wooden boards fairly safe. It won't stop an inexperienced chef from transferring bacteria across food groups, but it will kill off the bacteria that tries to soak into the wood.

Down South
12-31-2015, 08:58 PM
I know a little about cutting boards. I refuse to use any of my knives on a glass or hard cutting board. Nothing will dull a knife quicker than a bad cutting board.
I'd rather keep to myself which knives that I have purchased for the time being. There are many options coming in and I don't want to offend any of the posters of what I have purchased. I understand that everyone has their preferences based on their experience and I appreciate that.
Oh, Btw, I use several of the cutting boards that you mentioned for the same reasons.

MaryB
12-31-2015, 10:47 PM
I use poly cutting boards, cheap, easy to scrape knife marks off, can run through the dishwasher to sanitize...

TXGunNut
12-31-2015, 10:59 PM
I have a Cold Steel set for show and some kit knives from Track of the Wolf for serious field and kitchen use. Blades are high carbon (Russell Green River) and I install hardwood panels with rivets. Yes, they get hand washed and dried but so does my Emeril cookware. They're worth it.

oldblinddog
12-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Forschner (Victorinox) or Old Hickory. I have both.

swamp
12-31-2015, 11:18 PM
I have handled up and use the Green River Russell blades. They take a wicked edge and work well. Plus the handles fit me. I also use Old Hickory knives.
swamp

Elkins45
01-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Wow! This is always a very good question. Victorinox is good, as are a number of others. Benchmade has a new 3-knive set that's really nice, but very expensive. Probably couldn't beat those. However, if I was going to make a purchase now, I believe I'd go with Mora Knives and the best place I've found to get them is www.ragweedforge.com (http://www.ragweedforge.com)

I don't have any and haven't used or even handled any, but I base that on my experience with all their other knives. The heart of any knife is the steel it's made of, and they use really good steels. They also respond quickly and easily to sharpening efforts, too, and that's always a plus with any kitchen knife, and yet, hold an edge for a very satisfyingly long time, though all knives need sharpening eventually.

I'm more of a knife snob than I am a gun enthusiast. I have a whole bunch of knives worth >$100. Having said that, I doubt there's a better bargain in the knife world than Moras, but unfortunately the kitchen knives were almost impossible to find in the US for many years. I have one of the Clipper models that I use for general kitchen stuff and a couple of the stainless Craftsman knives in the garage for torture and abuse duty. One still has tar on it from trimming shingles. Another had the clip point ground down to a dropped point to field dress deer. I also keep one in my truck to hack away at stuff as needed. I agree that Ragnar is a great guy to buy them from.

The Victorinox/Forschner knives also offer a good cost/quality ratio. Most of my annual deer butchering is done with a Victorinox boning knife and one of their small red handled paring knives. I bought a couple of them for three bucks each at a gun show and eventually ended up buying six of them from a knife store. They are now our general purpose knives instead of the terrible Kitchen Aid knives my wife gave me as a well-meaning Christmas gift when we bought our house.

GhostHawk
01-01-2016, 10:16 PM
While I like the Mora's don't forget the Opinel's! Most are folding, with unique locking ring, reasonably priced, choice of high carbon or stainless blades, and being folding fit in the pocket.

I have a #6 in a belt sheath, a #8 that I drilled for a lanyard, which clips into a cheap carabiner, that is my edc. And a #10 which is also drilled for a lanyard along with a fire steel which I use when camping. The #10 is a bit over my states legal carry length which is why I sized down to the #8. My wife has a #6 in her purse. Just in case.

The Opinel's are a thinner blade, won't take the abuse that a Mora will, but for finer work will excell. Carving/bushcraft they do very well but I would be reluctant to try to baton wood with one where a Mora would handle it. Depends on what you need, and what you like.

My shooting partner spotted my Mora basic and took it home with him. So I have a couple more on the way. :)

jpen
01-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Old hickory knives are hard to beat.

jaysouth
01-01-2016, 10:31 PM
As a working chef for several decades, I preferred the Sabatier 'au carbon'. High carbon chef's knives, utility knives and paring knives.

For a household, I use Dexter Russell carbon steel knives with wooden handles. When wet, the handles stick to your hand. Keep a steel handy. when you pick up a knife, hit the steel a couple of times. When you finish, wipe the blade and hit the steel again a couple of times. Keep them stored on a magnetic bar.

The sheep skinner shown here is my favorite utility knife:

http://knives.dexter1818.com/shop/traditional/skinning-knives.html

Elkins45
01-02-2016, 12:28 AM
While I like the Mora's don't forget the Opinel's! Most are folding, with unique locking ring, reasonably priced, choice of high carbon or stainless blades, and being folding fit in the pocket.

I can't see any reason why someone would choose a folder for kitchen duty. Opinel makes a great folding knife that is a fantastic slicer, but a folding knife is already broken in the middle by design.

Old hickory knives are hard to beat.

Old Hickory uses good ol' 1095, a basic high carbon steel. The only real downside to Old Hickory knives is that they will rust if you just look sideways at them.

smokeywolf
01-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Then there are the tannins in the wood that attacks food borne bacteria and makes wooden boards fairly safe. It won't stop an inexperienced chef from transferring bacteria across food groups, but it will kill off the bacteria that tries to soak into the wood.

You've read the same findings that I have.
Preferred woods are walnut, maple and mahogany for their tighter grains and high tannins. Would love to have a 20 x 30 walnut end grain cutting board.

GhostHawk
01-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Elkins sir, with all respect, you said it. "Opinel makes a great folding knife that is a fantastic slicer,"

It is indeed a fantastic slicer, that may or may not be broken in the middle, and you get to choose!

Reason enough for me to mention them. Perhaps not enough for you.
Or perhaps you want a great slicer that folds for picnic use? Use your imagination, or not.

Rockydog
01-03-2016, 12:31 AM
As stated by others here Dexter/Russell and Russell Green River are awesome blades. I sharpened my Dexter/Russell boning knife and cut up 3 deer with nothing more than a swipe at the steel occasionally. My father in law used Dexters in the packing plant for 50 years. Started at 16 retired at 66. He had his choice of others but Russells were his standby. RD

Walkingwolf
01-03-2016, 02:19 AM
Elkins sir, with all respect, you said it. "Opinel makes a great folding knife that is a fantastic slicer,"

It is indeed a fantastic slicer, that may or may not be broken in the middle, and you get to choose!

Reason enough for me to mention them. Perhaps not enough for you.
Or perhaps you want a great slicer that folds for picnic use? Use your imagination, or not.

I own three Opinels, and I recommend them highly for utility duty. Some locals it is illegal to carry a fixed blade, seems Washington state just had a court ruling on fixed blade knives. Opinels are very strong when locked, one of the best locking systems of any knife I have seen. A person would have to be trying really hard to have one break while doing most kitchen, or field cutting tasks. The Opinels only draw back is the wood handle, when wet it swells. But keeping it oiled with mineral oil prevents the wood swelling. Or the knife can be taken apart and treated with boiled linseed oil.

Blackwater
01-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Elkins, you spoke of Ragnar. I included a comment on the little space in his online order form, and he called me! We talked for about 20 minutes on the phone. He's a great guy, and indicated he'd made many knives. Do you know him well enough to have seen any of his self-made blades? He's surely the kind of man I like to do business with, I can guarantee that! I'm now trying to decide which ones to order for the grandboys and some friends. I think I need a couple of the fishing blades, too. One with the scaler back with a short blade for gutting and panfish, and one with a longer blade for filleting bigger stuff. And I want their hatchet, too, for camping and general field work. Lots handier than an axe, and if I need an axe, I'll likely use the chainsaw instead. Getting lazy in my old age, I guess? Have you seen any of Ranar's knives?

GoodOlBoy
01-04-2016, 03:48 AM
Old hickory knives. Inexpensive, carbon steel, take and hold a great edge. Best butcher knives around.

GoodOlBoy

doc1876
01-04-2016, 10:49 AM
cutco is my go to knife. I have a set of Calphanon, and HATE THEM

Down South
01-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Thank you for the information and links. I purchased all of the knives in your links.

Down South
01-04-2016, 09:40 PM
I also purchased a J. A. Henckels two man stamped 10" Butcher Knife

Down South
01-04-2016, 09:51 PM
I want to personally thank all of you for your input. It has been a wealth of information and I've purchased a number of knives mentioned here, most used. I may buy a few more from the provided information. There are a few more knives that I would like to add to my collection but, funds are starting to run low for knife purchases. I've received several of the knives that I have ordered and I believe that I have got a very nice start to a great knife collection that will be used through the rest of my life.
As I proceed, I'll add a few others as I find them.

Sam

David2011
01-05-2016, 12:49 AM
cutco is my go to knife. I have a set of Calphanon, and HATE THEM

I bought a cheap Calphalon Santoku years ago and agree, it is garbage. Always dull. Hard to sharpen. The Katana series by comparison is Chevette vs. Cadillac.

David

Down South
01-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Purchased another J. A. Henckels two man stamped boning knife today. Good shape with wood handle marked "Old Country". Anybody know what "Old Country" means? Searches turn up zilch.
It wasn't cheap.
Also saw in the beginning of this thread about a J. A. Henckels three man stamped? They must be a ghost. I haven't seen any in my searches. Is there such a knife? Example, Pics?

Down South
01-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Thank you for the information and links. I purchased all of the knives in your links.
I sharpened these knives today except the http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-THE-MASTER-CARVER-2-KNIFE-SET-FRONTIER-FORGE-J7001-JAPAN-/191761507163?hash=item2ca5e0635b:g:grin:zMAAOSw6dN WSi3A. Those appear to be new but do not have a razor edge "yet". I have not sharpened them yet.
The other two knives took an edge easy using my electric driven belt sharpener and will shave from one end to the other. I will see if they hold an edge. I used a 40 degree bevel, 20 degree each side.
Does the bevel for Butcher knives seem about right to you knife experts?

M-Tecs
01-05-2016, 10:05 PM
These are the angles I use.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tips-for-Selecting-the-Right-Bevel-Angle-W44.aspx

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Detailed-Discussion-on-Knife-Sharpening-Angles-W28.aspx

Down South
01-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the links. Looks like my thinking was correct.