PDA

View Full Version : New Setup Questions

kfin
12-30-2015, 02:57 PM
After bunches of reading on here, I am going to take the plunge on making my own bullets. I have been reloading and shooting 45 acp's for a lot of years but never made my own bullets. I have built (almost finished) a large rubber mulch bullet trap to collect lead and I think this will pay itself off after a year of shooting 500 - 750 rounds per month. Anyway, some questions for you seasoned experts.

I'm going to get the Lee Pro 4-20 pot, the upgrade kit from My2ndRight, Lee ladle, and a PID.

I have only owned 45s until recently, and I picked up a 9mm for my wife so I will do those also and probably pick up another one of those to plink with...so those will be my two calibers. My 45 I have really only loaded 200 grain LSWC, and I have bought some 125 gr lead round nose for 9mm (no idea of what bullet to use here for paper punching). Reading about Lee molds it seems like the 2 hole ones are not the best quality but will work, but the 6 hole ones are much better quality but harder for a beginner until they get the swing of it. Should I get the 2 hole? Or go for the 6 hole and just practice for a bit on my timing, heck all I have to do is put them back in the pot, remelt and learn...thoughts? Or would I be better off getting a set of RCBS handles and a mold from Tom/Accurate? Need to save a bit somewhere as I have a lot of outlay going here.

Started a thread in the Star section as I'm going to get a Star sizer/luber.

Cast iron pot, my current propane fish cooker for heat, and lee ingot molds will be used for smelting.

My current stock of bullets are all from Missouri Bullets so a good alloy, I have purchased 75 lbs of lead ingots from a friend who had family member in it (not sure of alloy), and also picked up 60 pounds of Missouri Bullet ingots in Lyman #2. Friend of mine has a tire shop so I also have about 30 pounds of wheel weights to work with. Retrieving these from my rubber mulch bullet trap I should be in good shape for lead for quite a while.

Anything I am missing other than the sizer/luber?

Thanks for any advice...especially on the molds. I generally like to buy things once but considering I'm getting everything now will probably try the Lee and go from there.

gwpercle
12-30-2015, 03:18 PM
The new Lee double cavity moulds are much better than they used to be , I have several and like them. But , if you are getting a bottom pour pot then the six cavity mould would be better for that application.
I could never get a of lot perfect boolits with my bottom pour pot and 2 cavity moulds, I would get mostly rejects ,( I'm picky) so I went back to ladle casting with a lyman dipper , pressure casting, and Lee magnum melter. Ladle casting was the way I learned, you know the old dog and new tricks thing ...didn't work. Clean and prep Lee moulds before starting and start casting, Welcome to the addiction !
Gary

toallmy
12-30-2015, 03:43 PM
If you are starting out with aluminum molds you may want to get a mold heater set up. Preheated molds cast easier. I learned the hard way.

bangerjim
12-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Forget the silly Lee "ladle".....it is nothing but a stupid little spoon! I use it for stirring and skimming my 4-20 pot. If you are going to do ladle casting get an RCBS or Rowell bottom/side pour cast iron one. Those are REAL casting items!

Yes.....get an electric hotplate to preheat all your molds and feed ingots to casting temp. You will get perfect pours from the 1st drop! Not just warm!!!!!!! Casting temp.

Forget the 2 banger Lee's. Only buy those when a 6 banger is not made for the boolit you want to cast. You can crank out tons of good boolits with a 6 banger and a good ladle.....or BETTER...the Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot.

Use powder coating and you will not need a lubra-matic and all the mess and expense associated with grease. Read the threads in the alt coatings. But get your casting techniques developed before worrying about lubing or coating. That can always be done later.

You will need a LOT more lead!!!! I can go thru 10-15# of lead in a single range trip! Your stasch you now have will be good for practicing casting.

Have fun in '16. Where have you been since April 2013? Get in here and post thoughts and ideas.

bangerjim

flyingmonkey35
12-30-2015, 04:11 PM
I agree start with the 6 cav mold. You won't regret it. + Lee bottom poor.

toallmy
12-30-2015, 04:30 PM
you can pick up some good used rcbs , or seaco 2 cav molds for a few more bucks . A better mold is easer to cast good with.

rsrocket1
12-30-2015, 06:16 PM
My very first mold was the Lee TL452-230-TC 6 cavity mold. After watching several Youtube videos with Cowboy T (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0C31ezD_SU) who of showed me how simple it really is and he shows good safety tips (always wear protective gear). I dove straight in with the 4-20 bottom pour pot and the 6 cavity mold. The 45 cal bullet is big and wide, casts easily and heats up the mold quickly (unlike long skinny rifle bullets or tiny 9mm bullets) so that even if you start the mold too cold, all that lead will get the mold up to temperature quickly.
My very first batch:

I kept the lube simple, just a tumble in 45/45/10 and no sizing.

My first magazine full at a 10 yard target:

Start simple with the accessories and only add the ones you find you really need. For pistol rounds, I also strongly recommend 6 cavity molds. The Lee 6 cavity aluminum molds are light enough to handle and cast up a bunch of bullets quickly.

bangerjim
12-30-2015, 06:20 PM
OP..........I forgot to say......"START OUT SIMPLE!"

Get your casting techniques down B4 adding a PID controller. That thing can throw a bunch of bumps in the road for someone starting out. Learn how to do it and then, if you want one, add the controller once you feel comfortable doing it by the seat of your pants - the way we all started out.

banger

popper
12-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Or save some $ and try Bens Liquid Lube or Hitek coating. Both are tumble lube, Hitek takes a bake cycle but you can do 500 at a time. I started with the old lee in 40sw, wore it out. Now use 4x from accurate for 9 & 40. Had a 6x Lee for rifle but it gets heavy for big boolits.

kfin
12-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Great thoughts from all. I joined the forum in 2013 as I was thinking of doing this then, but with the shortage of supplies right then and prices going through the roof on everything......really had not shot as much as I used to, but have started back up and this will be one way to help with cost a little bit after the initial outlay.

The pot that I am getting is the bottom pour one so I will go ahead and get the 6 cavity mold. Hot plate already on the list for preheating molds.

I know I could tumble them and save money now, but I know myself....I might as well get the Star now. :)

Thanks for the advice guys

mjwcaster
01-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Good choice on the 6 cavity.
I started with 2 cavity Lee and had nothing but problems.
My newer Lee 2 cavity seems better, but still out of round.
The 6 cavity works great.
Preheat the mold, I am low tech and just set it next to the pot on my Coleman stove, covered with aluminum foil.
Works OK.
Personally I would tumble lube at first and then move to coated, skipping the star, but that is just me.
45/45/10 works and is simple (when you remember to lube), going to try bens liquid lube soon.
I will get around to coating someday.

Set up a comfortable work station.
This is my most needed improvement.
My current setup is uncomfortable, cramped and inefficient.
But I can still crank out a couple of thousand 45's in a 4 hour session, setup to cleanup, so it works.

country gent
01-05-2016, 01:19 PM
I will second the rcbs ladle over the lee It will pour much better if you want to ladle cast. An old spoon or metal spatula works for stiring skiming the pot. Make sure you skimmers and such have shanks 6-8" longer than the pot is deep and good wood or spring handles to disipate heat. The ropwel ladle is a great ladle but the smallest is 1lb of lead and big to get into the lee pot. For ingots a # 3 or 4 rowel would be nice or a heavy 1 piece soup ladle with the handle straightened to around 30* angle instead of 90* works very well also.

wv109323
01-05-2016, 11:47 PM
I you are going to cast 500+ bullets a month you need at least a 4 cavity mold. Forget the 2 cavity. The new 6 cavity Lee molds look pretty good. I suspect they will last several thousands of rounds. I would recommend a bottom pour pot over ladle casting.
I would highly recommend the PID from the get-go. Also get a hot plate to preheat the molds.
Your alloy is more than adequate for the.45 ACP. You can use about any alloy for the .45 ACP at target velocities. The 9MM needs your alloy if driven very fast.
Powder coating seems to be up and coming. It takes a toaster oven to get started. Sizing may be done on an RCBS or Lyman sizer with PC. Otherwise get the Star.
The 9mm seems to be more tricky to get a cast bullet to shoot accurate. Correct bullet sizing is key. Slug your barrel before buying 9MM bullet sizing dies.

kfin
01-05-2016, 11:55 PM
I had never heard of slugging my barrel until recently....the way I understand it is that I force a larger pure lead ball down the barrel. Mine are all autos so I would do this toward the end of the barrel. If I am doing it for 9mm and 45 acp, what size lead balls should I get to slug with? And say my 45 slugs at .451, what size sizing die would I get?

robg
01-06-2016, 06:39 AM
keep it simple ,bottom pour pot and tumble lube .take your time and enjoy.then youll know what extras you want.

kfin
01-28-2016, 04:39 PM
I have got the Lee 4-20 bottom pour, 3 Lee 6 banger molds (356-125-2R, 356-120-TC, and 452-200-SWC), and a bit more lead. Out of town this weekend so I am going to try and cast a few next weekend to see how it goes. Still need to get my 2ndright upgrade kit and my pid ordered..probably this weekend.

Doing a bit of research on using new molds...I see that you need to put a match/lighter to them, but what type of lube/release are you supposed to put on them? I need to get some of this ordered.

Also, for a new Lee bottom pour pot....anything I need to do to it to get it ready to drop the first ingots in?

Thanks,

JSnover
01-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Before you cast your first boolits, come up with something to drop them on or in. Some people use a folded towel (wet or dry), some use a bucket of water (plenty of arguments over that one).