PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal

richhodg66
12-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Just looked at one of these with about a four inch barrel and good adjustable sights. Apparently this is a pretty regular thing now as there are quite a few on Gunbroker.

I like .32s, but haven't really found one that seemed like a good all around carry around/small game/plinking/trail gun type. All of them seem to either be belly guns with fixed sights and short barrels or otherwise seem unsatisfactory.

This SP101 seemed perfect. I'd never load to what th .327 is capable of, always seemed to me like ridiculously past the point of diminishing returns for a .32 bore size, but it would handle stiff .32 S&W Long loads great and maybe a bit more.

I'm not a great pistolero, but like to carry one around my place out in the sticks and a small one I could actually hit something with would be nice. Not gonna get a .22 handgun, I'm through with things I can't reload for at this point.

Anybody have one of these?

jrayborn
12-30-2015, 01:28 PM
I have one of the original 3" guns and LOVE it. I have never fired a factory round so I can't speak to that, but the .327 Mag has serious potential to a reloader. Mild to wild, you should be well served.

Jeff Michel
12-30-2015, 01:49 PM
I have one, it's light to carry and accurate to shoot. I size mine to .312 and it doesn't appear to be picky as to bullet selection. Mostly .32 longs and the .32 Mag. The .327 aspect doesn't come to play so I can't speak to that. The only complaint is I don't like the front sight. You will not regret getting one.

9.3X62AL
12-30-2015, 03:34 PM
I am a huge admirer of 30/32 caliber handguns for varmint/small game hunting and general shooting. One has cause to wonder of the firearms/ammo manufacturers have any clue at all about how to service their market after 7+ years of ongoing shortages generally and the rooney gun offerings (or lack thereof) of the 327 Federal more specifically. Even Ruger's SP-101 couldn't resist placing the Mardi Gras front sight on one of the few viable field revolvers made in this caliber. I'm hoping that intro of the GP-100 in 22 LR with a 5.5" slimline barrel signals a possible expansion to this same combination in a 6-7 shot 327 Federal; the 4.2" barrel on the first such GP-100/327 was too short for the application (it's a field revolver), and 5.5" is about the minimum-acceptable to my way of thinking. Gunmakers' "Henry Ford" mentality--"Any color you want, as long as it's black"--is arrogant and irritating. The SP-101 x 4.2" is a good idea--the GP-100 with 5.5"-6.5" is another, especially with the 22 LR variant's barrel contour. I would buy BOTH if Ruger would put a Baughman ramp/black on the SP and and Patridge/black on the GP. Immediately. I WILL NOT BUY any revolver with these garish, cheap-looking plastic RayBar afterthoughts in place. Iron sights are the ONE place Henry Ford's mantra fits well.

dragon813gt
12-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Yep, I own one. The trigger is absolutely horrendous. It's by far the worse trigger on any of my revolvers. I know shooting it will smooth it out. But I don't have much hope because it's really that bad. I like the revolver but it's finish was shoddy w/ burrs and sharp edges all over. It shoots well so that's what counts. But if S&W ever brings out a new revolver in 327 Federal I will dump the SP101 immediately.

FLHTC
12-30-2015, 04:31 PM
I have a 4" 32 mag that was made on the frames with the larger cylinder window so it was a perfect candidate for reaming to 327. It doesn't have the gaudy, lite pipe sight but still shoots nicely. I still say that Ruger is missing the boat by not bringing out the 327 in a rifle. Maybe a lever gun?

dragon813gt
12-30-2015, 04:39 PM
I still say that Ruger is missing the boat by not bringing out the 327 in a rifle. Maybe a lever gun?

Marlin is really missing the boat more than anyone. But all companies the make lever actions are letting this one slip by. The cartridge is overkill for some hunting applications. I want one just as a range toy.

Jeff Michel
12-30-2015, 07:06 PM
This is a true statement, guess I forgot in my prior description. The good news is a Wolfe spring straightens that problem right out. I put one in my 101 .22 as well, huge improvement.

Yep, I own one. The trigger is absolutely horrendous. It's by far the worse trigger on any of my revolvers. I know shooting it will smooth it out. But I don't have much hope because it's really that bad. I like the revolver but it's finish was shoddy w/ burrs and sharp edges all over. It shoots well so that's what counts. But if S&W ever brings out a new revolver in 327 Federal I will dump the SP101 immediately.

Steve77
12-30-2015, 08:26 PM
I want to get a Ruger single seven in 327 and a 7.5 inch barrel. It is working it's way toward the top of my list.

dragon813gt
12-30-2015, 08:40 PM
I have one of those along w/ the other two barrel lengths. I like the Single 7s a lot more :)

Mike Kerr
12-30-2015, 09:07 PM
I want to get a Ruger single seven in 327 and a 7.5 inch barrel. It is working it's way toward the top of my list.

Does seem handy, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a purchase.

richhodg66
12-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I have a very long barreled single six in .32 H&R, shoots well, just isn't very good for carrying around.

I'm liking the idea of this SP101 more and more now.

jrayborn
12-31-2015, 01:42 PM
I have all three versions of the Single Seven and love them. The ONLY issue I have with them is that the cylinder length limits bullet weight. The SP/GP/Blackhawks do not have this issue. I love them all though :)

Fergie
12-31-2015, 03:50 PM
I have all three versions of the Single Seven and love them. The ONLY issue I have with them is that the cylinder length limits bullet weight. The SP/GP/Blackhawks do not have this issue. I love them all though :)

Other initial issues with the Single 7 aside, the short cylinder is why I got rid of mine. Now I've got a new SP and a BH in .327 and don't have to worry about OAL near as much.

Love the caliber and options it provides in general....just with Marlin would do another run of the 1894CB in .32 Mag or even better, .327....one can wish.