PDA

View Full Version : Gas check seating problems

Blkpwdrbuff
04-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, I needto pick your brains if I may.
I have a Lyman 410610 mould for my .41 Mag.
I was just lubing and sizing some bullets up and I can't get the gosh-darned gas checks to seat.
I'm using Hornady .416 gc's and I can't even get them on by hand. They act like they are too small.
I'm also sizing the bullets to .413. After about 18 of them i decided to quit before I lost any more patience!
I have done these before and never had a minutes trouble.
I also sized some Lee 195 gr SWC's with no problem, they don't take a gc.
I'm open to all suggestions and hints.
These bullets are cast from straight WW's+ a very small amount of tin.
Thanks in advance,
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

NVcurmudgeon
04-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I have to expand GC for some moulds. Luckily, this involves .30 cal GC when used on various Lyman .30 and .31 cal. moulds. A 5/16" bolt with the business end polished down until it will expand the GC so that the shank of the boolit will enter the GC works very well. You would have to start with a 7/16" bolt and would need to turn or file the end down. It is best to bevel the end of the bolt slightly. Annealing the GC makes it easier to expand the checks. Annealing also works on GC that are too big and fit loosely. In this case softening the GC prevents spring back and makes the GC hold its sized diameter after it comes out of the die.

runfiverun
04-19-2008, 11:27 PM
have you tried the non crimp on g/c's?
i would try the anneal first then the bolt tap thing.
that little crimp ring may be your problem

felix
04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
No, the problem is the wrong check. 416 checks are made for a smaller shank than for the 41 mag when Lyman makes the mold for each. 41 Lyman checks can be had from the Gator. ... felix

canyon-ghost
04-20-2008, 12:08 AM
May sound a little silly, but check your bullet bases for flash. True, the difference could be the Honady Crimp ons, but I don't know. I start mine by hand then, drop in the lube sizer to make sure they seat. I don't try to seat them with my fingers, just as long as the bullets picks up the gas check when pressed on it. There have been guys taking a large punch and pushing the gcs a size larger, just enough to start a gas check. Good Luck- fresh air, sunshine, low in the canyon.

Blkpwdrbuff
04-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks, everyone for your replies. They were much appreciated.
Due to the fact that paitence is NOT one of my virtues(LOL) and after talking with my gunsmith, I decided to send my mould down and have him ream out the gas check shank to make it a plain based bullet forever more.
Thanks agin for all your help.
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2008, 12:49 PM
like felix said your not going to get hornady checks to work properly on lyman mold. You will either have to cruise ebay for some old lymans or buy gators designed for the lyman mold.