PDA

View Full Version : Trim to length in the 30/30

Murphy
04-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Several years back I began loading for my 30/30 and picked up a 100 new cases to start off with. After the initial firing I brought them home and started the process of prepping them for the next loading.

The reloading manuel I had at hand gave a trim to length of 2.019", which I proceeded to do. Later I discovered it was the only manuel I have that recommends that length.

I've shot and reloaded these cases several times, and didn't seem to notice any ill affects. I'm not pushing the loads I use to high end pressures in it, so the few 1000ths reduced case capacity really isn't an issue.

And thoughts or experience with shorter than normal case lengths would be appreciated if anyone can give me the low down on it. I have about 400-500 cases I'm fixin' to have to trim and would like the opinion of those who may have experienced this same thing.

Thanks,

Murphy

Junior1942
04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Get a Lee case trimmer and chuck the cutter in your drill press. It's fast and easy.

04-19-2008, 09:58 PM
There is really no big issue in going about .010 shorter than recommended trim length. Case capacity in most 30-30 applications is not an issue as you pointed out. The neck length in the cartridge is plenty long.... a good thing for cast loading. The only thing I can think of is if you shoot a lot of cast or shoot a lot between cleanings you MAY see a slight increase in the build up of crud in the gap between the end of the case and the beginning of the throat???

That "safety" "trim to length" gap is there anyway even with the standard 30-30 trim length of 2.028..... which leaves about a .010-.020 +/- gap in a "normal" chamber. So you're gap with the 2.019 cases would be about .020-.030 +/- assuming a normal chamber length.

For working on the best accuracy loads which may be "relative" with an open sighted lever 30-30 the shorter trim length will pull the seated bullet back even farther from the lands in the bore if you crimp or seat the bullet at the crimp groove. When I work on the most accurate loads I try to keep the bullet fairly close to the lands. But, sometimes for best functioning, correct length for magazine and to use the crimp groove on the bullet the small potential increase in accuracy is traded off.

Yance
04-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Murph;

The biggest thing with trimming .30-30 cases, or any case you're going to crimp is consistency of that crimp.

Most chambers are overlength to begin with so it takes quite a bit of stretching to make a difference.

Trim 'em all to the length of your shortest case and load.

WyrTwister
04-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Several years back I began loading for my 30/30 and picked up a 100 new cases to start off with. After the initial firing I brought them home and started the process of prepping them for the next loading.

The reloading manuel I had at hand gave a trim to length of 2.019", which I proceeded to do. Later I discovered it was the only manuel I have that recommends that length.

I've shot and reloaded these cases several times, and didn't seem to notice any ill affects. I'm not pushing the loads I use to high end pressures in it, so the few 1000ths reduced case capacity really isn't an issue.

And thoughts or experience with shorter than normal case lengths would be appreciated if anyone can give me the low down on it. I have about 400-500 cases I'm fixin' to have to trim and would like the opinion of those who may have experienced this same thing.

Thanks,

Murphy

Might want to clean the chamber a little mire often ?

Buy the Lee trimmer and chamfer tools , chuck it up in an electric drill moter and rock and roll . It quits trimming when they are to length .

God bless
Wyr

JSH
04-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Ditto to what Yance said.
I keep my brass for each gun seperate. The brass may be of varying lengths gun to gun, depends on what the shortest one is in that lot to begin with. That is no matter if there is 50 or 500 in the lot. It has been a long time since I have found over length cases for a factory chamber.
As mentioned above, crimp dies work the best with the brass all the same length no matter what the length.
jeff

testhop
04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I a C.&h trim er that workgreat had it for probley30 year not a lick of trouble and it sure is fast

Griff
04-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Since I have 23 Winchesters & 1 Marlin in .30WCF and .30-30 :-D :twisted: I trim all mine to 2.020 and have yet to trim them a second time. And, I DO shoot max or near max loads.

ktw
04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I just got done prepping a large batch of 30-30 brass. Most of it it is 2.030"-2.036". I trim them to 2.030"

I set aside the 2.025-2.029" for plinking loads and throw away the ones that are < 2.025".

I have the Lee case trimmer and like it, but mine won't touch a case neck untill they exceed 2.038" and it's hard to make batches of shorter cases a uniform length with one.

-ktw

Brownie
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
it does not hurt if cases are longer than the recomened length as long as they are not too long to chamber. if they are too long to fit in the chamber it will be hard to close the lever and the fired cases will be crimped on the end from hitting the end of the chamber. the way to check this is try a new bullet in the fired case and if it is crimped on the end the bullet will not go in the case, then the cases should be trimmed.

Newtire
04-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Good tip about the chamber maybe having a little buildup if too short. I would just be concerned with the crimp landing in the right place to keep that boolit right out there against the lands is all. Other than that, a few thousandths under isn't going to hurt if you ask me. Too long can raise pressures by not allowing the case mouth to open.