PDA

View Full Version : Two notes on BLL

oldcanadice
12-29-2015, 08:49 PM
This is especially for newbies to lead bullets like me -- even though I am pretty old.

BLL has saved me tons of trouble with a bunch of commercial lead bullets that I bought before I found this site. Some were hard-cast; some were Hornady swaged. ALL leaded so badly I gave up shooting several Ruger revolvers (357 & 44 mag) because the cleanup often took an hour each. I had decided that only j-words would be used in those guns henceforth and I definitely wasn't looking forward to re-melting the bullets and trying to turn them into something useful.

Then came this site, where I found out about BLL lube. (The main BLL thread is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-259285-p-1.html) Pretty amazing. After a couple of hundred rounds I have pretty conclusively determined that 2 coats of BLL applied to the commercial stuff over the top of whatever junk they were lubed with will result in NO leading whatever with any of the three offending guns; and that while using medium power loads based on my very old hot-burning Unique powder.

I am totally back to enjoying the revolvers again. Cleanup consists of 4 passes with a brass brush in each chamber and the barrel to get the rather hard carbon residue out. Outer wipedown and that is it. Cleaning is actually easier and faster than when using jwords, which copper foul in these guns.

I'll also add a side note that it took experimenting and a query to Ben to find out aabout. There is a tendency to think that adding more floor wax to thickened alox will make a thinner and better drying lube. Not necessarily so. One needs to add more paint thinner to the alox to get the proper thinness and drying quality. I have been totally surprised that the paint thinner enhances the drying quality better than trying to do it with the wax.

Kudos to Ben for sharing a really great discovery. New kids on the block -- you really have to try this stuff.

reed1911
12-30-2015, 10:05 AM
I started using it just as a protector for my bullets to cover the sticky lubes I use. Works great for that purpose as well and has not seemed to cause any problems, sure keeps the cat hair off my boolets though. Other than the ones he drags out of the box cause they sound pretty on the tile and he likes them. Oddly enough we share an affinity for the 10mm and 45ACP most often.

Ben
12-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Glad that you fellows are enjoying the lube !

Ben

5Shot
12-30-2015, 12:15 PM
What type of paint thinner, i.e. Mineral Spirits or?

oldcanadice
12-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Yes. Oderless mineral spirits in my case.

Stonecrusher
12-30-2015, 01:47 PM
I started using it fr the same reason as you olcanadice. I had an ammo can of old Speer or Hornady LRN that would lead everything, until i washed the factory lube off with mineral spirits and lubed with 45-45-10. Leading went away. Then I started with BLL with same result only it dries quicker and slicker. I like it! The only problem I have is the carrier in the Johnson's liquid evaporates quickly in the condinment container I was using. This looked just like the one Ben had pictured, it just wouldn't seal tightly enough. I fixed that though.

dverna
01-01-2016, 06:10 PM
The only issue with BLL is that the wax is being discontinued. I have 11 cans all purchased from Home Depot on clearance.

I agree that it is a fine addition to our lube options.

Thanks Ben

Don Verna

Elkins45
01-01-2016, 06:13 PM
The only issue with BLL is that the wax is being discontinued. I have 11 cans all purchased from Home Depot on clearance.

I agree that it is a fine addition to our lube options.

Thanks Ben

Don Verna

I think somebody called Johnson Wax and they said it wasn't being discontinued.

w5pv
01-01-2016, 07:24 PM
I melt Ben's Red and mix the liquid and Johnson one step and it works fine.Thanks Ben

Ben
01-01-2016, 07:27 PM
I think somebody called Johnson Wax and they said it wasn't being discontinued.

That's good news !

Ben

williamwaco
01-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Still listed on the official web site with no indication it is going away.

http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/sc-johnson/sc-johnson-one-step-no-buff-wax

nagant
02-16-2016, 01:20 PM
I got the last bottle on the shelf today (2/16) after dragging my feet for the last year!

stu1ritter
02-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Elkins45, check post #886 on this page http://tinyurl.com/gtfv9ls which was the original thread.

Stu