PDA

View Full Version : Beam scale calibration and mods

troyboy
12-29-2015, 04:37 PM
There is always an endless discussion concerning what beam scale is the most accurate and how to modify the scales for better sensitivity and performance. 1066 has an excellent collection of videos that provided the push needed to investigate these beam scales further. The first order of business was to acquire a set of check weights. I checked the usual suspects and was simply unwilling to pay the inflated prices that RCBS and Lyman want for what is certain to be Chinese products. This led me to search E-Bay and bid on a Christian Becker set of calibration weights in a worn wooden box. Vintage American quality at a 1/4 the price of disposable Chinese products
These calibration weights are in Grams so a PDF is provided with the conversion156764
I only have 2 balance beam scales, a vintage Lyman D5 and the much disputed Lee Safety Scale.
156765 156766
I added extended pointers to both scales and marked the Lee in .5 grain increments. Additionally on the D5 the Agate bearings were cleaned and the pivots were stoned(increased sensitivity) and a piece of foam was placed under the beam. The Lee scale requires a bit of a learning curve and this example read heavy by 1/10 or .1 grain until the 3.09 grain range. After the 3.09(was this by design?)grain it was accurate to 1/20 or .02 grain. The D5/502 was accurate to 1/20 or .01 the whole range of usable check weights. The extended pointers are a must as they make accurate reading much easier. I gave the Lee a chance but in my opinion it is difficult to use(the secondary poise lock is nice) has less capacity(110Grain vs 505) and during my testing wasn't as accurate in the lower range. A used 502/D5 for about the same money is more accurate and user friendly has a larger capacity and is built much better. I have a Herters model 5(wire pivots) and the Hornady model M on the way to test next. After exhausting the different styles of beam scales(the much vaunted 5-10 and Redding 2 will follow) a comparison between balance beam technology and the digital Chargemaster will be posted. Thanks Troy

ioon44
12-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Was your Lyman D5 made by Ohaus?

David2011
12-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Best mod I've made is to have shelves that put the pointer at my eye level and light the area well. I've had several 5-0-5 scales in various colors and all were equally accurate.

Looking forward to your evaluations of other scales.

David

troyboy
12-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Yes the D5 is an Ohaus

Riverpigusmc
12-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Best mod I've made is to have shelves that put the pointer at my eye level and light the area well. I've had several 5-0-5 scales in various colors and all were equally accurate.

Looking forward to your evaluations of other scales.

David

I bought one of those prism deals with 2 lenses...set it by your scale, and you can see zero from any angle. Handy.

troyboy
12-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Honestly 1066 has a web cam that he uses in his video series. If you need the magnification it is the ticket. It can be used with a tablet or laptop.

Mike W1
12-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Have a couple sets of check weights and use them. Far as reading the scale mine sits on the shelf eye level with this rig. Leveling screws on the bottom along with about 12 ingots for stability. Magnifying glass makes diddling with the pointer not necessary.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1078.jpg

ndnchf
12-30-2015, 01:59 PM
I like the elevated box, great idea. I get tired of twisting my neck down to read the pointer. Another project for my to-do list.

Pinsnscrews
12-30-2015, 02:43 PM
I set my iPad camera up so it views the pointer. The iPad makes it very easy to see.

dudel
12-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I like the elevated box, great idea. I get tired of twisting my neck down to read the pointer. Another project for my to-do list.

I mounted a small bathroom cabinet at eye level. Scale lives in the cabinet. Draft free when in use, and dust free when closed up.

ioon44
12-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Have a couple sets of check weights and use them. Far as reading the scale mine sits on the shelf eye level with this rig. Leveling screws on the bottom along with about 12 ingots for stability. Magnifying glass makes diddling with the pointer not necessary.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1078.jpg

Great set up. I have been using a magnifying glass with my RCBS 10-10 for some time, makes life easier for old eyes.

hc18flyer
12-31-2015, 10:45 AM
My 505 seems sticky? I will start with cleaning the balance points, but may need instruction on how to 'stone' the edges? I have a fine triangle stone. A couple of years ago I found a nice small wooden box to set my scale on to bring it closer to eye level. I like the mag glass idea. I must confess to using a small electronic most of the time. Flyer

Wayne Smith
12-31-2015, 07:50 PM
My 505 seems sticky? I will start with cleaning the balance points, but may need instruction on how to 'stone' the edges? I have a fine triangle stone. A couple of years ago I found a nice small wooden box to set my scale on to bring it closer to eye level. I like the mag glass idea. I must confess to using a small electronic most of the time. Flyer

Use a q-tip and alcohol to clean the stones the balance points rest in. This is the usual problem with these scales.

jmorris
12-31-2015, 07:58 PM
I mounted a photo electric switch above the beam on one of mine and it could detect the addition off single kernel of powder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLp9M6VI3gM

zomby woof
01-01-2016, 11:22 AM
You guys have an awful lot of time on your hands. I don't seem to have that many problems with the Hornady/Pacific scale.

jmorris
01-01-2016, 11:48 AM
You guys have an awful lot of time on your hands.

Yeah, your not the first fellow to tell me that.

Hawks Feather
01-01-2016, 12:14 PM
I have gone to an electronic scale, but there are some pretty good ideas in here.

kbstenberg
01-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Another addition to the scale raised to eye level on a box. Add a small shelf to set the powder dribbler on directly into the pan.

Ric-san
01-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the great ideas guys...

country gent
01-09-2016, 11:27 PM
One addition I made up for my rcbs beam scales 5-10 model was a leveling plate to give a true level surface for the scales to set on. A simple 3/8" thick aluminum plate with 3 leveling screws to adjust to level in both planes giving the scales a true surface to work from. made long the trickler can set on this same plate. I used 3/8 24 x 1 1/2" long set screws 2 on one end 3/4" from each edge and one center line and 3/4" from end on other end. This allows for a very stable easily leveled surface. Brass aluminum plastic or even a nice harwood could be used. I have also used an anti vibration pad under the scales at times. Shielding from wind breezes and the furnace blowers currents helps alot also.

3jimbo3
01-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Yeah, your not the first fellow to tell me that.

I think I mentioned that once before myself. You do have some awesome tools though. Keep up the good work, I look forward to see what you come up with next.

w5pv
01-10-2016, 03:15 PM
I set my beam scales to the left of my vision range where I look down the pointer and see if it is aligned with 0 to me it is much easier than trying to look dead on to the pointer and zero.

M-Tecs
01-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Troyboy

Thanks for the PDF.