PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 with FTX Bullets

BigMatt
12-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Hey guys. I got a Lyman 310 tool with all the dies for loading the 32 Special. I also have a Winchester single bullet mold I got at a gun show a few years ago, but I don't think I am ready to cast just yet.

Since this is my first foray into reloading, I would like to try and reload with some Jacketed bullets first.

The only jacketed bullets I can seem to find in .32 Winchester Special (.321) are the Hornady FTX bullets. My bullet seating die seems to be made for flat point bullets.

Question: Can I make this work and just seat against the rubber tip and adjust them so the OAL is right? Are there any other jacketed .321 bullets out there that aren't backordered and will work with my Lyman tool?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

cwheel
12-29-2015, 07:49 PM
FTX is new enough that there aren't specific seater plugs out there for them yet. The couple I've needed seater plugs for were for RCBS dies, and for a nominal price and shipping them a bullet, they were glad to make them for me. I couldn't justify setting the lathe up and my time for about $20 per seater. I know Lyman still makes the 310, but don't know if they will make a custom seating plug for one. Might be worth a call to find out. They only make limited die sets for them now, what they are willing to do is unknown. Don't try to seat a FTX with a flat nose seater, will mess up the tip. You might need a machinist to make you one. The custom seater plug could end up costing almost the price of the die set.
Chris

Mk42gunner
12-29-2015, 10:58 PM
You might be better off trying to find a 310 die set meant for the 8mm Mauser. Or at least the seating die or stem.

Robert

Hick
12-30-2015, 01:43 AM
The FTX will work fine with seating dies. I have used about 1000 + over the past year with no problems seating the bullets. When you start loading CB's, you may need an "M" die-- I found it necessary to slightly expand the 32 cases so that the CBs would seat comfortably.

BigMatt
12-30-2015, 11:25 AM
OK, I will try it and see if it works. There is an 8mm seaing die on Ebay if it doesn't.

Muskrat Mike
01-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Hey guys. I got a Lyman 310 tool with all the dies for loading the 32 Special. I also have a Winchester single bullet mold I got at a gun show a few years ago, but I don't think I am ready to cast just yet.

Since this is my first foray into reloading, I would like to try and reload with some Jacketed bullets first.

The only jacketed bullets I can seem to find in .32 Winchester Special (.321) are the Hornady FTX bullets. My bullet seating die seems to be made for flat point bullets.

Question: Can I make this work and just seat against the rubber tip and adjust them so the OAL is right? Are there any other jacketed .321 bullets out there that aren't backordered and will work with my Lyman tool?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

I have several old boxes of the Speer 170gr FN .321 bullets I would send one for a reasonable offer if you pm me.

Char-Gar
01-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Seating plugs for 310 dies are interchangeable. You can pick up a No. 413 seating plug for the 30-06 and 308. The No. 470 for 8mm that should also work fine.

Ebay usually has a number of 310 dies and die parts.

Djones
02-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Hey Matt. I have a NOE expander for my 32, some cast Lyman fp bullets or some Speer bullets if you have trouble with your ftx bullets. Let me know.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=88&products_id=1516&osCsid=jnacq18lu4bkgeo4m0k0gje7v1

David

Wayne Smith
02-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Hey Matt. I have a NOE expander for my 32, some cast Lyman fp bullets or some Speer bullets if you have trouble with your ftx bullets. Let me know.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=88&products_id=1516&osCsid=jnacq18lu4bkgeo4m0k0gje7v1

David

Don't think that would work on the 310 handles.

gwpercle
02-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Cut that plastic tip off - instant flat point !