PDA

View Full Version : 1-4 power scope?

crabo
04-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Anyone know of a good 1-4 power ler pistol scope?

How about the new Weaver scopes? Are they any good?

http://www.opticsforyou.com/product-8025-0-1-1.html

Thanks,

Crabo

475/480
04-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Leupolds,Burris, Nikon, Bushnel,Tc's,Weaver,Simmons.
It really depends on the caliber you are shooting as to what I would recommend buying.

Sean

45nut
04-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Not a 1-4 but a top quality 2-6 is available here...[smilie=1:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=27723

218bee
04-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I am actually thinking of a new scope for my contender and would probably go with a Weaver.Their handgun scopes have always performed well for me and seem a bit more forgiving as far as eye relief goes than some of the more pricier models. I presently have a fixed 2x and after not being able to see antlers on a deer about 100 yds away (its hell getting old) and having that deer run past my son and him telling me it was a 12 point, I think I need more magnification. Even though most shots where I set up are under 50yds I wish I could have cranked it up that one day, better to have it and not need it than vice-versa I guess

crabo
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I want to put it on my High Standard Supermatic. I have a 2 power but I want a little more magnification for shooting silhouettes. I have a 2 power Tasco World class 30 mm that I really like, but I feel like a little more power would help. The Weaver is 9" long and 1". That would be the longest length I would consider.

Crabo

45nut
04-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Ahh,, the Redfield is 10"x1" tube.

Lloyd Smale
04-19-2008, 06:10 PM
only handgun scopes ive got are leupolds bushnell and tc and there all decent scopes. ive got a couple of the newer weaver rifle scopes and if there handgun scopes are of the same quality for the dollar id take a hard look at one of them.

trickyasafox
04-20-2008, 02:25 AM
I have 2 burris pistol scopes that are top notch- I have the 2-6 or 2-7 I forget which. Clear as a bell though.

crabo
04-20-2008, 03:13 PM
This is the pistol I want to put it on. You can see why I don't want a huge, long scope.

Crabo

Newtire
04-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I had a Swift scope on my Ruger Buckeye .32/.32-20 & all was well until a couple weeks ago. The thing shot loose and when I contacted Swift, they told me there was no guarantee since I bought it used & that they didn't repair their scopes. Then they thanked me for my "continued support of their products". I will never buy another one of those if that's their attitude. My "mental optics" are not so skewed that I can't see Bull S*** in clear focus. I heard from a guy at the range that the Bushnell 2-6 was a good one from a guy who shoots a TC contender at the range. I might be interested in 45 Nut's Redfield when my taxes come in.

James C. Snodgrass
04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
:-D:-DI've got T/C fixed and Bushnell Elite 3200 and have tried the Leupold, Burris and Weaver. The only thing I can say is the Leupold,Weaver,Burris, and the T/C variables have not got the amount of eye relief to suit me. I'm only 6 ft. tall and I think if a person is much taller than myself you need a reverse mount to get it closer to you. As far as durability of the Elites or the old Bausch&Laumb I've got 6 of them and ain't broke one yet. And I do have them on a 308 win,375 JDJ,7US, 30 Herret,223 rem. They work James.

trickyasafox
04-20-2008, 10:12 PM
good point james- I don't use the burris at full extension above 2 power- the focal point moves in on me.

snowwolfe
05-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Last year I purchased a couple of the Weaver 2x7 rimfire scopes after using Leupolds most of my adult life. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. The optics were every bit as good as the Leupol 3x9 rimfire scope I own and at less than half the cost. If this is any indication of what Weaver is presently producing I would recommend you try one on a handgun.

bobthenailer
05-09-2008, 07:13 PM
i have 4 tasco pistol scopes with the tapered crosshar with a center dot 1 and 2 power modles and these are excellent for shooting targets , i could at one time hit 5 inch steel circles at 100 yards off hand, no taco hold , 50 % of the time , my record was 7 in a row with a rpm xl in 32/20 with rcbs 165 gr sl bullet and the first in the club in 30 years of shooting to get 25 in a row 6 inch by 10 inch steel plates shot off hand at 100 yards with the same gun & cast bullet and you could use jacketed bullets if you wanted to i just prefer cast for all of my shooting

44man
05-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Several things to consider. First is that as I got older I find I need more light to see. Every pistol scope I have is now too dark to see deer or crosshairs in the mornings and evenings. As power is turned up, they get darker and the eye relief also shortens. This darkness is a trade off for long eye relief. The eye is also too far from the exit pupil which I believe scatters with distance.
The next thing is most variables are heavier then a fixed power and if your gun has a lot of recoil, something can give, rings, sliding on the tube, even some bases like the Leupold or Burris with twist in rings can shear the ring lug. They can also be larger overall.
I don't think more power will show a deer's antlers any better and would use binoculars instead.
The next thing, as power goes up, you need a solid rest for every shot because anything over 2X is the devil to hold still and you tend to see too much wiggle causing misses. Most of us can actually shoot long range better with open sights, offhand, then with a 2X scope. Mostly when you are old and shaky like me! [smilie=1:
So you must weigh your decision on whether you use a rest all the time, time of days most shots will be, recoil of your gun, and also your age with reduced vision and the ability to hold tighter.
I gave up and use red dots! :mrgreen:

45r
05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I think an aimpoint or ultra-dot is the way to go on a hunting revolver or auto.I only use variables on TC's.Like 44 man said light gathering is not that good on variables but are better for target practice and long range handguns like the TC's.I like handgun hunting for the challenge and light weight.I take along a TC encore sometimes and hang it on a hook if the buck of a lifetime comes out it would get used and the handgun would stay in the holster.I'm getting real fond of Marlin 1894 CB's lately and the 45 colt might replace the muzzle-loader sometimes.