PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Gen 1 Glock 17?

Electric88
12-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted some input and figured this would be the best place for it! Does anyone know what a decent price is for a Gen 1 Glock 17? I was thinking about picking one up at my lgs, and wasn't sure what it's value was, and if they were possibly collector's items now?

Thanks!

Petrol & Powder
12-28-2015, 03:24 PM
There's nothing collectable about a first gen Model 17 but they still shoot.

Electric88
12-28-2015, 03:29 PM
There's nothing collectable about a first gen Model 17 but they still shoot.

Good to know. I wanted it primarily as a shooter, but figured it was best to ask about it and know going into it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-28-2015, 06:37 PM
What is the store asking , you can buy a new gen 3 for 499 and the police trade in gen 3 are high 300s for the 40s don't see 9s as often

Love Life
12-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Depending on condition, and if it has the original box with all accessories, you may come out well ahead if you can get it for under $400. You'd be surprised, but you can make some good mad money on 1st Gen Glock 17s.

Petrol & Powder
12-28-2015, 09:02 PM
I don't think I would pay $350 for a gen 1 model 17 unless it was pristine and even that would sting a bit. Boxes, manuals and other assorted accouterments add value to old S&W revolvers but they make little real difference on a Glock. There's nothing wrong with the gen 1's but you can get a brand new gen 4 G17 for $550.

Love Life
12-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Petrol & Powder- The original box and accessories do add value to Gen 1 Glock 17's. Especially the first 1,000 or so to hit the streets. Research it a bit and you'll see some Gen 1 Glocks, NIB condition, with all factory swag have sold in excess of $700.00

I know Glocks are cold, lifeless, plastic guns but there is a very dedicated following for them.

Petrol & Powder
12-28-2015, 09:33 PM
I like cold, lifeless, plastic guns......a Lot ! but I wouldn't pay that much for a gen 1 G17 or a gen 4 G17 :bigsmyl2:. They're not exactly rare.

dragon813gt
12-28-2015, 09:37 PM
It's a Gen 1. If it's not a collectors piece yet, it will be. Glock has a following just like S&W does. I personally wouldn't pay that much money but I understand why people do.

Love Life
12-28-2015, 09:50 PM
I like cold, lifeless, plastic guns......a Lot ! but I wouldn't pay that much for a gen 1 G17 or a gen 4 G17 :bigsmyl2:. They're not exactly rare.

I wouldn't pay that much for a Gen 1 either. Doesn't change the fact that other people will. Never let how you feel about something get in the way of making some cheddar, lol!

Petrol & Powder
12-28-2015, 09:57 PM
I have NO problem selling something for what the market will bare but you're taking a big chance paying $400 for a pistol that might sell for $395 on a good day two years from now. I would really need some specialized knowledge about value and market before I'd take that risk. Investments carry risk and I'm ok with that but for every $700 Gen I Glock on the market there are probably 10,000 $350 gen 1 Glocks.
If you know how to spot the $700 ones and also know how to sell them for $700, more power to you. I don't have that expertise and don't wish to play in that sandbox.

Love Life
12-28-2015, 10:02 PM
I agree with your post 100% Petrol & Powder.

I'd have to see it in person to determine what I would pay.

A Gen 1 17 with holster wear, no box, and no factory swag is a $250-$300 gun to me. Any higher than that and I can a Gen 4 NIB under the blue label program.

FergusonTO35
12-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Aren't there a few Gen. 1's floating around without U.S. import marks on them? I would think those of all would be collectible.

Petrol & Powder
12-29-2015, 12:04 AM
Aren't there a few Gen. 1's floating around without U.S. import marks on them? I would think those of all would be collectible.
Why? They are just like the 10's of thousands of G17's with import marks? The value is only what someone else will give you for it.

A barrel of water In North Carolina is almost free and extremely valuable in the middle of Saudi Arabia. A barrel of oil in Saudi Arabia is almost free and costs more than a barrel of water in North Carolina.

Value is only what someone else will give you for it.

Electric88
12-29-2015, 07:55 AM
The store is asking $350 for it in very good (not pristine) condition, but to my knowledge comes with everything. I think I'm going to pick it up, if only for the fact I've wanted a glock for a little while to have and shoot. I haven't had a chance to look at the internals yet, so I'm not sure if it was sent in for an upgrade by a previous owner. If it has, no big deal. I'm not overly familiar with the differences between generations, but my understanding is that the gen 1 has been regarded as a comfortable shooting gun.

I guess if someone was to come along one day and offer me a decent price, that's ok by me. Until then, I don't mind putting a few rounds through it for fun.

Electric88
12-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Why? They are just like the 10's of thousands of G17's with import marks? The value is only what someone else will give you for it.

A barrel of water In North Carolina is almost free and extremely valuable in the middle of Saudi Arabia. A barrel of oil in Saudi Arabia is almost free and costs more than a barrel of water in North Carolina.

Value is only what someone else will give you for it.

Too true. It'll only ever be worth what someone is willing to pay. If I could find a used 19 I would jump on it instead, but those things are near impossible to find around here. Either way, a nice 9mm glock is what I'm planning to add to the safe :D

BattleRife
12-29-2015, 04:08 PM
This is a Canadian perspective and while it's unlikely to translate literally to the US market it might provide some food for thought.

I decided about five years ago to get a Glock and decided that a Gen 1 model 17 was the way to go. After about 10 months I decided the effort wasn't worth it for me and settled for a Gen 2 in Exc+ shape at a great price. But I've been watching the classifieds ever since and I can tell you that demand for the Gen 1 well outstrips supply. I see "wanted to buy" ads every couple of months; you might see a "wanting to sell" once a year. The conclusion would seem to be that there aren't many people looking specifically for an early version, but for those that are, there are virtually none to be found. Currently the price premium is slight: an excellent Gen 1 sells for about the same as a little-used Gen 4, but this is undeniably a few bucks more than a Gen 2 or 3 will fetch. But it wouldn't take much of a movement towards the first model guns to change that.

FergusonTO35
12-29-2015, 09:22 PM
The 17, 17L, and 34 are the only ones you guys can have, correct? Or can you buy a 19 or 26 with a long enough barrel?

pmer
12-29-2015, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't pay that much for a Gen 1 either. Doesn't change the fact that other people will. Never let how you feel about something get in the way of making some cheddar, lol!

This could be a quote of the day!

Groo
01-01-2016, 01:07 AM
Groo here
The gen 1 2pin g-17 is the best of the bunch.
No finger grooves, funny grip checkering, and eats anything.
Just loose as a goose and not overly accurate.
I carried one at the office for 20+ years and shot IPSC with it. No jams with any factory till the mags cracked and wore out [about 17years always loaded]
Pure millspec and mine even has orginal proof marks.

Bigslug
01-01-2016, 01:16 PM
The HKVP70Z notwithstanding, the Glock 17 was the first SUCCESSFUL plastic gun and that IS significant in much the same way the Smith M27 paved the way for all "magnum" revolvers; the CZ-75 was the first major DA/SA wondernine player; the Hi Power was the first real double stack; and the 1911 was the first autoloader you could go to war with truly doubt-free.

The thing that's hard for those of creeping up on 50 and older to grasp is that even if it's an artless, soulless pistol that epitomizes cookie-cutter production and training the lowest common denominator, even the AMC Gremlin and Pacer have gained collector status as icons of an era. Perhaps that's not the best comparison because the Glocks actually WORK, but some people will see a Gen 1 G17 in that context.

$350 ain't bad at all. That's a straight used Glock price for "nothing special" in the eyes of most people, and you could turn it to a drooling Glock-o-phile without much effort.

Plate plinker
01-01-2016, 10:56 PM
For those who do not know if your glock mags are breaking apart mail them to glock and they will replace the mags for FREE.

Mackay Sagebrush
01-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Different forums tend to attract a different crowd. This one for example (from observation) tends to attract more seasoned shooters who are rather traditional. If you were to ask on GlockTalk if anyone wanted a Gen 1 G17 for $350, and you would have guys lining up.

Though I very highly doubt that the old plastic guns will have the collector following of old Model 29 .44s, at least until the plastic generation is considered the "old school" guys, they do have a following at this time.

dragon813gt
01-30-2016, 05:08 PM
While not a G17 a Gen 1 G19 sold for close to $7k.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538708445

Glocks and ARs will be collectibles in the future. No one would have ever thought Savage 99s would command $1k+.

FergusonTO35
01-31-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm not an expert but that looks like a cut down 17 frame with a 19 slide. Maybe that is how they were actually made as prototypes and then given to agencies to try out. In any event no way would I even pay standard ex-LE Glock price for it. Looks like a total hack job that anybody could do, I wonder if Glock would even recognize it as a real 19?

FergusonTO35
01-31-2016, 11:21 PM
Did a bit more digging and it looks like the prototype 19's did use cut down 17 frames. Interesting, although I would demand a factory letter before I paid anything more than what any other high mileage Glock costs.

MtGun44
02-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Collectible Glock? LOL. Right. Probably somebody imagines that they would be,
but really??

dragon813gt
02-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Collectible Glock? LOL. Right. Probably somebody imagines that they would be,
but really??

Yea, it's a collectible. A completed auction just set the market value. You may not think it's one. But there are people that do.

FergusonTO35
02-03-2016, 11:10 AM
For that price I would demand alot more proof that it is the real thing.

Catshooter
02-05-2016, 02:14 AM
It's the real meal deal. Note the following:

The slide is properly built and finished for 19 length.
The slide is properly marked for a 19.
The nose of the frame is proper for a 19.
The butt of the frame is 19 length and was cut somewhat crudely by the factory as it was done to make prototypes, not intended as a pistol to sell.
The frame, slide and barrel are matching serial numbers.

All these facts line up perfectly with the known history of the gen 1 19s.

Now with that knowledge as back ground the price doesn't seem quite so unreasonable does it. It's not often a prototype sees the light of day. The factories usually keep a pretty tight grip on them.

Cat

corbinace
02-05-2016, 04:27 AM
Holy Moses!!! I had no idea anyone would collect "old" Glocks. I have both a 17 and a 17L that likely have over 100K rounds through each of them. They served me well in the nineties when everyone was laughing at my shooting IPSC and Steel Challenge with them. The shorty lived mostly in the plastic holster and is worn smooth on the sides of the frame. The slide is very light colored from being handled so much. In those early days of children and not much money, I made due with what I could afford and what I could afford was a G17. I would not even consider parting with either one of them, they are a part of my history and hold many good memories. I guess you might have surmised that from my rambling on though;-)

FergusonTO35
02-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Thing about it, is I believe a determined person with good attention to detail could produce such a forgery. Unless Glock Inc. assured me it was the real thing no way would I pay that kind of price for it.

birch
02-05-2016, 11:23 AM
I have not seen a gen 1 glock in Michigan in a couple of years. I would pay the new price for a gen 1, and maybe a bit more.