PDA

View Full Version : Sl-68b

Bodean98
12-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I have a few questions regarding the SL-68B loob.
After reading about the performance of this loob I decided to make a batch and try it. I had been using FWFL and really like it but this sounded better. Namely getting rid of the cold barrel fliers which I did experience with the FWFL. I had to deviate from the posted recipe in that I could only find 145 F microcystalline wax(in a small quantity). I used 3 parts of it and 1 part of BW for the wax portion of the recipe. The loob performs as stated in the thread at the temps that I have used it (60 F to 30 F). The melt temp, while unmeasured by me, is quite a bit higher than the FWFL.
Would there be any speculation on the performance of this in hotter temps?
Have any of you tried it with this lower melt temp wax?
Can this loob be made like FWFL by making the grease first then reducing the heat and adding the melted wax or is there something important that happens with the microcrystalline wax that it needs to be in the mix while heated to 450 +/-?
Since I have a pretty large amount of the grease already made up for FWFL, could I just add the soap required to bring it up to the proper amount for the SL-68B and use it?
I ask because my original batch is dwindling and it's getting time to make another. I expressed interest in Randyrat's post on microcrystalline wax and was wondering about the benefits of using the higher melt temp wax(s).
I have used the SL-68B in the 30XCB although not at very high velocity yet, 44 mag, and 38-55. It works very well and I presume I will be using it unless/until I find something better!
Any thoughts and info is appreciated.

geargnasher
12-28-2015, 03:40 PM
I have a few questions regarding the SL-68B loob.
After reading about the performance of this loob I decided to make a batch and try it. I had been using FWFL and really like it but this sounded better. Namely getting rid of the cold barrel fliers which I did experience with the FWFL. I had to deviate from the posted recipe in that I could only find 145 F microcystalline wax(in a small quantity). I used 3 parts of it and 1 part of BW for the wax portion of the recipe. The loob performs as stated in the thread at the temps that I have used it (60 F to 30 F). The melt temp, while unmeasured by me, is quite a bit higher than the FWFL.
Would there be any speculation on the performance of this in hotter temps? Probably not much difference vs. higher MP waxes, based on my experience.
Have any of you tried it with this lower melt temp wax? Yes, don't get wrapped around the axle over it, just shoot it and worry about it only if you start having issues.
Can this loob be made like FWFL by making the grease first then reducing the heat and adding the melted wax or is there something important that happens with the microcrystalline wax that it needs to be in the mix while heated to 450 +/-? Yes, it can be made "in reverse", but it won't have the same smooth consistency and fully-integrated soap matrix that it does if you make it according to Jon's instructions. It's not the microwax that does something important, it's the soap that does, and it needs to do it in the presence of all other ingredients, and it takes at minimum 450°F to do it.
Since I have a pretty large amount of the grease already made up for FWFL, could I just add the soap required to bring it up to the proper amount for the SL-68B and use it? I wouldn't mess with it. FWFL grease already has castor and mineral oil in it, and who knows how much of it did or didn't cook off or polymerize. Ivory soap is cheap, save your pre-made grease for more FWFL if you need it.
I ask because my original batch is dwindling and it's getting time to make another. I expressed interest in Randyrat's post on microcrystalline wax and was wondering about the benefits of using the higher melt temp wax(s). A little more heat tolerance (storage or shooting), a little more velocity range, and a more slope to the phase plateau of the waxes is what a higher MP wax brings to the table.
I have used the SL-68B in the 30XCB although not at very high velocity yet, 44 mag, and 38-55. It works very well and I presume I will be using it unless/until I find something better. Mild to wild, that's what we were trying to make this lube do.
Any thoughts and info is appreciated.

Hope that helps a bit.

Gear

Bodean98
12-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Gear,
Thank you for the reply. Yes that helps a bunch. Gives me a clearer picture of what to do next.

Thanks again!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Hope that helps a bit.

Gear
I'm glad you chimed in, as I really had no answers.