PDA

View Full Version : Duel ram press???

abunaitoo
12-28-2015, 02:10 AM
I don't know where, but I once saw a picture of a "C" type press that had two rams, one next to the other.
I always thought that looked like a good idea. Doing two operations with one pull of the handle.
Been keeping on eye out for one here, but never seen one.
Anyone know anything about these????

troyboy
12-28-2015, 02:18 AM
The one I am familiar with is Herters. The other,while not 2 rams, uses a 2 station platen. It is a Dunbar. Skinner also made a few but good luck with finding one of those. Google Herters,Skinner and Dunbar reloading presses. You will find what you are looking for.

abunaitoo
12-28-2015, 03:37 AM
That's the one.
Did a search and it's the one I remember.
How good/bad are they????
Can the rams be changed so regular shell holders can be used????

troyboy
12-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Sorry I have no personal experience with that press. What I am certain of, resizing cases with that style of linkage is excessive compared to a press with compound linkage. Many wax poetically about these old presses but to me they are just tools. If you are enamored by the nostalgia, it is a hobby so whatever works for you.

Pressman
12-28-2015, 07:14 PM
abunaitoo, Herter's Model 81 uses two rams. Not to be out done Pacific offered a press with three rams.

re they usefull, well do you see anyone else copying that idea today. Nope. Having used the Herter's I found the design very clumsy and not any faster than the single ram presses. I always had grease on my right middle finger from bumping the ram when moving brass. Changing shellholders on the Herter's is a real PITA. A special Allen wrench with an itty bitty short end is necessary. Herter's supplied one with the press though I have never seen one.
Leverage on the Herter's is not high enough to make sizing and seating at the same time practical and double sizing is out of the question.

I suppose the design could work on a press using the RCBS swing arm linkage, but the press would be overly large, heavy and very costly to make and ship.

It is a great idea, just not a better mouse trap.

Ken

abunaitoo
12-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info.
It sure looks like a good idea.

salpal48
12-28-2015, 10:03 PM
I also use a Model 81. the only advantage It has over a single Ram press. with the 2 shell holder and The proper mounting Table I am able to size case 2 @ a time . This is as long a you have 2 size dies. . I have sized double 30/06 without problems.. any smaller case are easy. The larger Cases or belted mags . like 300 win mag is doable but very Hard
I have sized 2 different calibers.
The set up was not worth the results. All in all It's a Great machine On your bench
Sal

Mike Kerr
12-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Ken is correct. the Herter 81 looks cool but is really awkward in operation. You don't really save the time you think you will.

W.R.Buchanan
12-30-2015, 10:51 PM
The C&H 333 and 444 are the exact opposite of these presses. Instead of multiple rams they have a platen that has multiple shell holders.

The 444 is the current model and has 4 stations. You simply move the cartridge case from one station to another and can complete one round from beginning to end.

The C&H press doesn't have the mechanical advantage of a press like a Rockchucker so it will size Rifle cases but it takes a lot more effort than doing say .44's which are easy on the 444.

I typically process cases up thru priming, and then charge seat bullet and crimp on the three front stations thus completing the round.

I am pretty sure the multi Ram presses that preceded the C&H press were originally designed to be used the same way.

Randy

pincherpartner
01-01-2016, 11:02 PM
I have an 81 and use it for pistol rounds, either sizing and expanding or seating and crimping and have had pretty good results combining those operations. It's an interesting press for sure.

EDG
01-05-2016, 08:45 PM
here you go - Snake eyes

EDG
01-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Triple trouble

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72932&d=1370651318