PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Cleaning

Johnw...ski
04-19-2008, 03:08 PM
As some of the people may know on this site I took about a twenty year break from shooting. Back in the late 1970's and 1980's when I was most actively shooting the top competative shooters I shot with never or almost never cleaned thier firearms.

Well times change and I have several rifles with new barrels, so I have been cleaning after every time out shooting. I have noticed that it takes several and sometimes as many as 5 or 6 shots for the firearms to settle down to their best accuracy after cleaning. This includes a 45-70 that shoots strictly lead, an M1 Garand that shoots only jacketed and 45 ACP and 22 LR Pistols that are shooting lead. After shooting Thursday with the Garand I wiped out the bore with several dry patches and put it away. Today I shot in a match with it and did very well, we were allowed sighting shots at the beginning of the match and it was right on from the first shot.

I got home today and ran the same series of dry patches through the bore then ran a lightly oiled patch using Marvel Mystery Oil, my oil of choice, through the bore followed by several dry patches.

So for all you experenced shooters out there, do you think this is enough?
Is it a good compromise between a thorough cleaning and none at all?

John

felix
04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Good enough except for all out BR guns. ... felix

Johnw...ski
04-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Good thought, what do the bench rest guys do?

Good enough except for all out BR guns. ... felix

felix
04-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Clean throughly after every relay, 5 record shots. Plus sighters, that would be about 8 shots. Throughly means leaving no trace of any fouling whatsoever. ... felix

Johnw...ski
04-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't think I am that committed, if I start cleaning like that I might need to be committed.

Thanks,

John

Clean throughly after every relay, 5 record shots. Plus sighters, that would be about 8 shots. Throughly means leaving no trace of any fouling whatsoever. ... felix