PDA

View Full Version : NEF - ejector problems

12-28-2015, 12:07 AM
Greetings all,
I have a NEF break open single shot .223 and the ejector doesn't! Frequently the live cartridge over-rides the ejector as it is loaded and enters the chamber before the action is closed. Most regularly, the spent case stays stuck in the chamber as the action is opened, and just as often, the ejector stays closed and doesn't move when the action is opened. My thought is that the moving parts attached to the barrel lug need to be removed, cleaned, smoothed & polished. Perhaps that will make it function as designed. Now to my question: Has anybody disassembled those parts, done this type of job before, or can anybody offer advice on tricks of the trade for these things? Before I start, I just want to hear from somebody more knowledgeable than me.
Thanks, 725

dtknowles
12-28-2015, 12:46 AM
Go to one of the H&R/NEF forums and they have hints but the basic design is flawed and the Handi/Topper rifles with an extractor are better than the designs with an ejector except that the extractors only work on rimmed cases. I have tried the bb trick, a stronger spring, polishing but only get reliable ejection on my 243 with light loads.

Tim

Mk42gunner
12-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Never messed with an H&R in a rimless caliber; but the ejectors don't seem to like anything that is the slightest bit over size, sticky or high pressure.

I base the forgoing on several pre bankruptcy H&R's in .410, .22 Hornet and .30-30. Also a fairly new 3½" 12 gauge N*** turkey gun that works fine with 2 3/4" shells but if you fire a 3" or 3½" through it you had better have a rod handy to extract the empty hull.

Robert

Hm, can't abbreviate National Wild Turkey Federation?

c1skout
12-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Lots of info on the Greybeards forum for making NEF's work, I think even step by step instructions. The ball bearing trick seems popular, it just preloads the ejector spring a bit. I think most problems come from dirty, rough, or oily chambers. I remember reading about some guns shipping with incorrect or poorly fitted ejectors or extractors, might that be your problem?
My 270 Handi has an ejector and in the 17 years I've been using it has never failed to spit out the empty, either factory ammo or reloads. My brother has 223 Handi's with both the ejector and extractor and has no problems either. Actually between my brother and I we have them in at least 12 different chamberings counting the shotguns. Only have 223, 44mag, and 222 with extractors, all the others are ejectors. The only one I have that has given any trouble ejecting is my 45-70, and that was after shooting very light loads that made the brass all sooty at the neck, cleaned it up and all's well again.

Bazoo
12-28-2015, 01:29 AM
I have taken the ejector out and cleaned up the parts. It helped a fair amount for my gun. If I remember correctly, all you have to do is take the barrel of the action press the ejector back in so its locked, and then you can drive the pin out. Then, put a punch in the hole, and trip the ejector so it pops out. Its been quite a while since I did it, so I may not recall correctly. I do remember that its pretty straight forward and easy to accomplish.

12-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks all. Thanks Bazoo, straight forward and easy is right up my alley. When the ejector does spring out, it does so with force. I'm betting I'll find rough machining in there when I get it apart. Pretty sure I'll end up bending the "L" shaped extractor some so as to engage the shell rim, too.

chutesnreloads
12-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Probably all you need is scour your chamber.Had same problem with my NEF .243.Just scoured the chamber with a .45 cal bronze brush and it now ejects fine unless using neck sized reloads.You'll need a smaller brush for .223 of course.Over on Greybeards in the Handi/NEF section there's a Handi Basics 101 kinda like our stickies here.Just about all you ever wanted to know about working on them.

waarp8nt
12-28-2015, 09:14 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but can say that I had a .243 Handi rifle that had the very same issue. While I am sure there is a fix. I owned the rifle pre Internet (for me anyway), and a ruined coyote hunt was enough for me to sell it. Swore I would never buy one again that was chambered for a rimless cartridge. I currently own a 45/70 buffalo rifle and a 20ga ultra slug.

12-30-2015, 01:06 PM
I'll check out Greybeard's, thanks. The rimless versions seem to be the most trouble. I have others and no problems with them. Looking longingly into the function cycle, I have noticed that if the cartridge is "out" a bit from the chamber, the extractor fits underneath the web/base and as the action is closed, the cartridge pushes down on the extractor before it slips into the rim. This must lead to a bent extractor over time. .45-70's, et al, with their rims don't have this problem. I'm thinking I have not only a bent extractor, but also rough metal finishings to smooth out.