PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette paper?

leftiye
04-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I saw this mentioned on another forum, and wanted to throw it out for comment. Will/does it work? Anyone tried it? How well does it work compared to other papers? Thanks, Ted

45 2.1
04-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Works fine. Some people even patch boolits in the cigarette making machines with them, or foil or several other things.

runfiverun
04-19-2008, 11:47 PM
hmmmm, bout how thick is that stuff .001 or so?

357maximum
04-25-2008, 04:00 AM
My B.I.L would just freak if he knew fellas were wrapping other things than the herb they were designed for in them mystic papers.:roll:

jlchucker
04-25-2008, 08:20 AM
I used to make paper cartridges for my 44 cap and ball revolver out of cigarette paper. I made a paper into a cone, glued closed at the bottom, then filled it with powder and round ball. closed and glued the paper over the ball, and carried the somewhat fragile cartridges in a small matchbox, which easily held 5 of these. When reloading my revolver, I would ram the whole thing into the cylinder, cover the chamber with grease, apply caps, and voila! A revolver reloaded with combustible cartridges. They worked fine, but I felt that this exercise was not really practical for plinking at the range. It saved carrying a flask and loose balls while woods-walking, though.

wonderwolf
04-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I've seen this posted on a few other forums myself. I guess it all depends on how small they start out as and if you need to trim a lot off or not. I would also imagine the paper is somewhat thick.

Lloyd Smale
04-25-2008, 12:08 PM
might have wrapped a few of those other things in papers when i was young! ;)
My B.I.L would just freak if he knew fellas were wrapping other things than the herb they were designed for in them mystic papers.:roll:

VTDW
04-25-2008, 12:22 PM
How much do ZigZags go for nowadays?:mrgreen:

carpetman
04-25-2008, 01:38 PM
VTDW---How much do Zig Zags go for now days? That is a most complicated question that begs more questions. To begin with,how long has it been since you saw someone hand roll a cigarette? Almost all that roll their own use a machine and use a special tube with a filter----they don't use Zig Zags. How many places that sell cigarette papers have tobacco that could be used with the papers? Few. So why are people buying them? We already know they are used to patch bullets. Women buy them to use in their hair curlers---they don't do a thing toilet paper wouldn't do but they look cooler. They make a handy Post It Pad. If you find a machine that is out of order,you can write "out of order" and lick it and stick it on the machine so that someone else doesn't get ripped off. They are used for all sorts of things---the list could go on and on---very handy. But the primary use is grass. Shocked? You see a lawn mower has a magneto that has to be adjusted to a real close tolerance. A Zig Zag is the perfect thickness---makes a great feeler guage for adjusting the magneto. People want to mow and their tuned up lawnmower is ready to go,usually starts first pull. Surely something this handy---a tool such as this is going to escalate in price, I'm not sure what they go for,but a person should stock up before they go even higher.

D R Greysun
04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
VTDW---How much do Zig Zags go for now days? That is a most complicated question that begs more questions. To begin with,how long has it been since you saw someone hand roll a cigarette? Almost all that roll their own use a machine and use a special tube with a filter----they don't use Zig Zags. How many places that sell cigarette papers have tobacco that could be used with the papers? Few. So why are people buying them? We already know they are used to patch bullets. Women buy them to use in their hair curlers---they don't do a thing toilet paper wouldn't do but they look cooler. They make a handy Post It Pad. If you find a machine that is out of order,you can write "out of order" and lick it and stick it on the machine so that someone else doesn't get ripped off. They are used for all sorts of things---the list could go on and on---very handy. But the primary use is grass. Shocked? You see a lawn mower has a magneto that has to be adjusted to a real close tolerance. A Zig Zag is the perfect thickness---makes a great feeler guage for adjusting the magneto. People want to mow and their tuned up lawnmower is ready to go,usually starts first pull. Surely something this handy---a tool such as this is going to escalate in price, I'm not sure what they go for,but a person should stock up before they go even higher.

No doubt you have been rolling yard clippings in you 'Zig Zags' :rolleyes:

D R

PS: I know this is not getting off to a good start but I just couldn't resist. LOL dr

Southron Sanders
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
I made up paper cartridges for a repro 1859 Sharps Carbine using Cigarette Rolling Papers for a short while. Unfortunately, those rolling papers have A LOT OF CIGARETTE TAXES EMBEDDED IN THEIR PRICE! I had to find something cheaper. (Not to mention, I got tired of the old lady behind the counter of the convience store giving me strange looks every time I purchased some Zig Zag papers.)

I dropped by a Beauty Salon supply shop and picked up 5,000 Hair Curler Papers on sale for $5.00. They work GREAT as cartridge paper and MIGHT WORK for paper patching also as they are designed to remain strong when wet.

wonderwolf
04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
helix tracing paper....$10 for a 50 Yard roll thats about 12" tall I think. Its what I'm using now just a thought

Taylor
04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Dixie Gun Works catalog in their the way things used to be done section,shows rolling papers used for this purpose.Remember there was papers before there was Cheech and Chong.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-13-2008, 11:55 PM
the best use I have found for such thin paper is for an over-primer wad. Cut the paper into strips narrow enough to fit in your specific shellholder. Put a primer in the priming arm hole and slip a strip in the shell holder. Then ease your case in, stroke the ram to seat the primer, and VOILA! you have a nice round hole cut in the strip. Cut it off even and repeat until your tray of empties are all re-primed and papered. I don't know how it does with this gray powder, but I cut my SD to single digits with my 38-90 and 45-70's. I am also tinkering with cutting a wad out of newspaper and slipping it into the empty case ahead of the powder charge. Probably don't need both, I guess the answer is to test about ten rounds of each.

Rich

Christian for Israel
07-14-2008, 12:33 AM
i roll my own cigarettes and use top papers (100 papers for 89 cents). i just mic'ed my papers and they are .001". generally i roll the paper around the boolit with the glue strip at the top and twist the bottom, clipping the excess paper off the bottom. so far this has worked well in my 8mm mauser as well as my mosin nagant.

randyrat
07-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Do you use any lube. Do you size your bullet before or after paper patching?

Christian for Israel
07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
i size first and lube afterwards. so far i'm getting MOA with them in the mauser.

big bore 99
11-19-2015, 04:41 AM
This is an old thread, but I sometimes paper patch with cigarette papers. I buy Tops brand and they are creased down the middle. I leave them creased and size down my 45-70 slugs to .452 and then roll them up to .459. They work great in my Buffalo Classic.

ArrowJ
11-19-2015, 09:06 AM
I role my own from time to time using American Spirit tobacco which comes with papers in the can. I have 700 of them. They are 3 x 1 ¾ and creased. I do not have a mic yet, but they are thin compared to some of the others I have used.

If anyone wants them PM me your address and I will post them tomorrow.

I kept them thinking maybe some day I would run into another roller...never in a thousand years would I have thought of this use!

scattershot
11-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your generous offer. I'd like to try a few. (Don't need 700, though.)

ArrowJ
11-19-2015, 11:59 AM
No problem. I will put them in the mail tomorrow.

scattershot
11-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Thank you.

robg
11-20-2015, 05:55 AM
i wondered about cigarette papers ,i use rizzla papers, blue pac very thin green regular must measure them. i dont use a machine to roll mine, fingers work fine:grin:

skeettx
11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
When I make ammo for the two Slant Breech Sharps Carbines, I use Zig-Zag cigarette paper for the 38 cal and I use the paper from shoeboxes for the 44 cal guns. The cig paper is too small for the 44 cal bullets.
Mike

fiberoptik
12-20-2015, 12:13 AM
Mom could roll 2 at a time, one in each hand! I couldn't do one with both hands! Went to a bong.

flyingmonkey35
12-20-2015, 12:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/lMrr3YC.gif

big bore 99
01-07-2016, 02:43 PM
I also use coffee filter paper sometimes. It's very thin and has strength when wet.

FLHTC
01-12-2016, 08:31 PM
might have wrapped a few of those other things in papers when i was young! ;)

Whew, hundreds!

BlackPowderBen
01-13-2016, 11:22 PM
This video shows how to make paper cartridges for a .44 cap and ball revolver if that's what your trying to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFYjfl9_GVM