PDA

View Full Version : Super Blackhawk 480 Ruger

High Desert Hunter
12-27-2015, 08:33 PM
So, I won an auction, will finally be taking delivery of it in the next week or so. Naturally I am looking at bullet molds, leaning between 385 to 410 grains. I am curious as to how long of a nose I can get to work in the Super Blackhawk? Want to hit a target velocity of 11-1200fps for hunting.

RobS
12-27-2015, 08:49 PM
I would really like to have either the 480 or the 454 in the Ruger SBH. Can't help you with your questions but I am just day dreaming.

Tom W.
12-27-2015, 09:02 PM
I had a SRH. Dunno about yours...but I used an RCBS 400 gr SWC and it did good....

High Desert Hunter
12-27-2015, 09:22 PM
I have been dreaming since they hit the streets, finally got one for what I felt was a fair price.

contender1
12-27-2015, 11:15 PM
So far mine has had no issues with either the Lee 400 grn slugs, or the Miha mold with the 400 grn solids. Not sure if the nose is longer in any other molds.

Deep Six
12-28-2015, 12:35 AM
The cylinders are 1.785" nominal and are recessed for the case head. The brass is 1.285" nominal, so that leaves somewhere in the neighborhood of .500" nominal for the nose. Accounting for stack up tolerances and leaving a little room for bullet jump under recoil, I'd say 0.450" nose is going to be about the max I would do.

Most .475 cal boolits are designed around the 1.400" 475 Linebaugh case in the same Blackhawk (although the customs usually have slightly longer cylinders). As such, the nose length is usually limited to about .400" or less. Any of these designs leave quite a bit of room to spare in the factory .480 blackhawk.

I had Mountain Molds cut a mold to my specs. I did a 375 gr gas checked design with a .420" nose with a 75% meplat. I've only shot 75 rounds thus far, but I've got it shooting nice tight clusters at 25 yards over 20 gr of AA#9.

High Desert Hunter
12-28-2015, 12:48 AM
Thank you Deep Six! I know in my FA I'm limited to a .4 nose in the 454, so a little more room would be nice.

lar45
12-28-2015, 01:24 AM
I couldn't get enough sight adjustment on mine for the heavy bullets, 370 and 400s. It was always hitting high.
The Lee 325s were easy to sight in. I put a taller front sight on mine and was able to adjust for the 400s. The hole in my front sight base was drilled too far forward and only had half a hole in the front edge of the sight blade. I sent it back to Ruger for a new sight base. I've been too busy to get back to shooting it since it's came back.

High Desert Hunter
12-28-2015, 02:26 AM
I can't wait to find out, out of curiosity, did you get the taller blade from Ruger? I have heard you can take material off the bottom of the rear sight to get a little more adjustment.

Deep Six
12-28-2015, 10:32 AM
I made a new front blade for mine out of a piece of 1/8" A36 flat stock. I made it about 1/8" taller than the factory sight and it shoots my 375 gr boolits to POA with the rear sight in the center of its elevation adjustment.

Note that in lieu of making a new blade from scratch, you can buy the front site blade for a 5.5" stainless blackhawk in 45 colt and it will be the right height. Another option if you don't like the factory ramp profile is the "sixshot" blade from forum member sixshot at singleactions.com

High Desert Hunter
12-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Thank you one and all!

Markbo
12-28-2015, 07:41 PM
The bottom of the rear sight can also be filed off for more adjustment if you dont want to replace the front sight. If you do, contact sixshot. He is making some really nice ones. Also I went with the Miha 385gr version in a GB. Still available outside that. Proven performer at moderate and hot .480 velocities, up to Bison.

Bison!!! From a handgun! What more could you possibly want done?

High Desert Hunter
12-29-2015, 05:20 PM
I am told Saturday it will be here. So, what are people typically sizing their bullets to for the 480?

lar45
12-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Midway has them for $5
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516494/ruger-front-sight-blade-ruger-45-long-colt-with-7-1-2-barrel-blackhawk-stainless-steel

I bought my replacement from Midway, but when I sent mine back to Ruger for a whole new sight base and all, I asked for the taller blade and they sent it back with the tall one in place.

krems
12-31-2015, 09:38 PM
Waiting for a report.....The 480 ruger is next on my list of "must halves"

High Desert Hunter
01-03-2016, 01:19 AM
Overall I am very happy with this pistol, it has some minor flaws, and the trigger could be better, but I am a happy camper. Hope to have a range report next weekend, dies, bullets, and mold are on the way along with brass.

DougGuy
01-03-2016, 01:42 AM
I am told Saturday it will be here. So, what are people typically sizing their bullets to for the 480?

The one Ruger sent Jeff Quinn had .475" throats so you'd not want to exceed that. I have already been asked by a couple of owners about cylinder throat reaming so unless Ruger has really changed how they finish cylinders you can expect to see some variation in throat sizes because as the tooling wears, they cut smaller holes.

Here is a drawing of SAAMI specs for both the cartridge and the chamber:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/480%20Ruger640_zpss0bgdy0y.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/480%20Ruger640_zpss0bgdy0y.jpg.html)

Groove diameter is specified at .475" while bullet diameter is specified at .4755" - .003" and they are calling for cylinder throats to be equal to bullet diameter at .4755" which works as long as you aren't wanting to seat into the throats.

Looking on Beartooth Bullets selection for the 480 their choices in available sizes are .476" and .477" which would necessitate reaming cylinder throats if the boolits won't pass through them with finger pressure.

I don't see the 480 cylinder dimensions as being any different than any other Ruger, they will soon enough start coming here for throat work.

My question is about the steel they use for the cylinders. Can this stuff be cut with HSS tooling or will it have to be carbide? Carbide reamers for throating are nearly non-existent and special order only, VERY VERY expensive, and they take months before delivery.

Markbo
01-03-2016, 01:57 AM
My cylinder throats all measured .477" so my lead lubed and coated bullets will be sized to .477".

High Desert Hunter
01-03-2016, 02:00 AM
Thank you guys for the info! Doug, this is the same Carpenter SS that is in the Super Redhawk 454.

nicholst55
01-03-2016, 02:04 AM
My cylinder throats all measured .477" so my lead lubed and coated bullets will be sized to .477-488".

Mine measured .477, except for one that my .478" pin gage would just barely start into.

Deep Six
01-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Bullets sized .476 pass through mine with light finger pressure. .476-.477 seems to be the norm.

As for the cylinder, it's made from Carpenter alloy 465. Ultra high tensile strength while still maintaining adequate ductility and machinability, supposedly. It'll certainly be harder to cut than standard Ruger stainless, but not impossible either. I know Bowen won't attempt customs on a 454 or 480 SRH base gun because of the cylinder material which is the same as the SBH 454/480. I'd contact Carpenter and see what they say. If it does require carbide, a chucking reamer is a heck of lot cheaper and easier to obtain than a custom cylinder throating reamer. Shouldn't be too hard to set one up in a lathe or mill to cut straight.

5.7 MAN
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM

First five shots, pulled the last one! Hornady factory 400 grain XTP. When I received the revolver the rear sight was screwed almost all the way left on I centered it before going to the range. Just took a couple clicks Left wind age to get it where it belonged.

bottom pic is 50 yards, same ammo.

dubber123
01-06-2016, 10:56 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_0011.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/dubber123/media/IMG_0011.jpg.html)

Hornadys 400 gr. XTP is an accurate bullet. This was one of the first groups I fired with my new toy. The velocity wasn't too blistering, but plenty useful. I would really like one of these new Ruger Bisley .480s.

High Desert Hunter
01-07-2016, 11:18 AM
5.7 Man, cosmetically how was your Bisley? Mine has a lot more scratches and a screw head that I'm not very happy with, and the hole for the front sight roll pin is a bit buggered on the left side. I am still waiting on brass to be able to shoot it, and if it isn't really accurate I may send it back to Ruger to have them fix it, seems they may be suffering a little in the QC department due to their own success.

5.7 MAN
01-07-2016, 06:45 PM
High desert hunter,

The metal works seems fine, the grip fit is average at best. they are thinner than I have seen, the first 454 I saw back in the fall had really fat grip panels and we're almost round. These at least have a normal profile. I am going to replace them with something else anyway.

Sad to say, Mine will be going back. On the last cylinder full the hammer would hang up about a 1/4 of the way back, and now the cylinder won't rotate. I also think I have a canted front sight because when I received the revolver the rear sight was all the way to the left, I centered it and if you notice the first pic the group is way off to the right. After adjusting it it was almost all the way left again at 50 yards and I doubt I'll have enough windage left to sight in at 75 yards.

I'll call ruger in the AM and get a shipping label I wish they would let me drive it to them I'm only 15 minutes away!

Not sure I understand how these guns get out of the factory messed up the way they do, but this seems to be trend. I know several people and the Internet is rife with reports of people getting guns from all manufacturers with obvious flaws or problems. Seems like the companies are spending a fortune shipping guns back and forth to the factory.

dubber123
01-07-2016, 06:50 PM
I have had the same canted front sight happen at least once on a Ruger Bisley. It came new with the rear nearly maxed out in one direction. I centered it like you, and it ended up pretty much back where it came from. I look for this now when handling new Rugers in a store. If they are way off, I pass. More than a click or two off center drives me mad.

Deep Six
01-07-2016, 08:03 PM
The issue with the hanging up at 1/4 cock is that the top finger of the "hand" (pawl in ruger-speak) is a little too long. Mine did the same thing until I took a few file strokes off of it. Should have been taken care of before it left the factory, but not worth sending it back over, imho. Now the canted front sight is another matter as that's about impossible to correct if you're not set up with a frame vice, barrel vice, lathe or silver brazing setup.

How is the forcing cone? Mine is the nicest I've ever seen on a revolver, customs included! This seems to be the trend with these guns so I was wondering if yours is another data point confirming that Ruger has improved their method of reaming forcing cones, at least on this model.

High Desert Hunter
01-08-2016, 03:16 AM
So it would appear that my cylinder throats are smaller than .477, I will size the bullet to .476 and see how that does.

krems
01-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Why is it that so many Ruger 480. /.454 guns need to be sent back to Ruger for repairs or adjustments. Are we getting too picky or has their quality control gone down hill. I've never bought a bad Ruger yet but I'm hearing on other forums as well that their .480 needs to be sent back for repairs. I'd like a .480 Ruger but I'm a little nervous about getting one after hearing about all the repairs needed.

5.7 MAN
01-08-2016, 08:09 AM
It's not just this batch of Blackhawks. I got one of the lipsey 45 colt/ACP flat tops a few years back and it had to go back because after a few rounds it stopped firing because the firing pin would barely dent the primers.

krems
01-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Thats too bad about the Blackhawk 45 / 45acp. Disappointing for sure. I got one of the Lipseys 44 spl bisley's that I haven't shot yet but the fit was very good. Cyl. Throats looked great as well. I'm afraid to shoot it for fear that it will disappoint and I'll have to send it back. I really want the 480 as I have never owned one. Looks to be a great cartridge to hand load and shoot cast bullets. Should fill the gap between my 500 L and 45 colt.

Powersgt
01-08-2016, 11:56 AM
After hearing all the negative feed back on the .480, I have done a good inspection on mine. First of all the grips fit horribly, a gap at the top of the grip panel makes them feel and look to small. Really not a problem for me as I heard about it and already had a set to replace it when the gun showed up. The replacements fit better but still need some fitting to get them to work. Unless you want to pay someone for custom grips or make a set yourself its going to be dam near impossible to get a set that fits perfect.

My rear sight is also to the left which seems unusual because almost every Ruger I have gotten before (20+) has either been all the way to the right or rightish. Could it possibly be a different tester, bullet twist or possibly the jig is just jacked up and they are off. Anyway so far it hits where I am aiming though I have not had it on the bench as of yet. I did find that my 400gr loads hit somewhat close to the Hornady 325gr though they are about 250 FPS slower.

I have three things other then grips which are minor but can seem annoying. First I have a lot more "spring" noise when pulling the hammer back. Maybe its not but since we are talking about it, its there. I will pull a grip panel off and check everything and add some lubricant where needed. Second the ejector spring does not seem to keep enough tension on the ejector rod which allows for a little movement making it sound loose. Why did they go with an extra long rod? Not sure what the fix is but its minor at best. Third, I did find a small bit of machining marks on the cylinder next to one charge hole. I thought it was dirt but I can feel it with my finger nail. I as figured it is probably from the material used and not necessarily a QA problem (I guess they could have cleaned it up,) but possibly just a material flaw. Its inconsequential and I will just touch it up with a stone when I clean it next time.

Other then that I am pleased so far with the gun. I found similar issues with my Match GP and I figured its a Stainless steel problem. We have to remember (not making excuses for Ruger,) they have gone through some pretty fast growth in the last couple years; new gun models and lines , new facilities and of course new people. Lets hope that they will get through this and get back to the top once again. All in all for the number of guns that have come out of the factory over the last five years, I am sure if you look at numbers they have about the same problems that they always had.

Just my opinion.

JSH
01-08-2016, 08:03 PM
The one I on gauged all five were .477.
I am with several others on the sending back thing. Shoot the damn thing before drawing any conclusions. Folks gripe about the grips?? What the heck, you can get grips any where. Seems they think they are getting a full custom gun.
I wish Ruger would at least offer some type of up grade on a rear sight, like the micro at least.
The 357 maximum length ejector is a big plus IMHO. Brass clears the cylinder completely. Base pin is another nice touch.

I undrstand that folks want what "use to be". This is just not a Ruger thing. This falls into all areas of "today". No I don't really think it is better. One just has to pay the piper or deal with it.
The 480 SBH is a pretty darn good deal for what you pay, when comparing it to any other five shot wheel gun available.
Jeff

chsparkman
01-08-2016, 08:22 PM
I received my 480 the day after Christmas. As others have experienced, the grips fit atrociously at best. I'll be making a pair of new grips soon from a nice piece of bocote, but in order to get a flush fit, I'll have to remove a little metal from the grip frame. Not sure how I'll got about it yet but very carefully to be certain. It is disappointing that Ruger has allowed a lower standard of tolerance to enter their manufacturing process. My older Ruger single actions and even my recent 44 special Bisley all have much nicer fitting grips. My 41 mag hunter and my Single Seven both have poorly fitting grips but the new SBH 480 is worst of all.

As for needing to get a taller front sight, is that because people are using milder than maximum loads? I took mine out yesterday with mild loads of 2400 with 400 gr boolits and it was shooting about 12" high at 25 yards. I'm planning on gradually increasing the powder to near max levels and see how that changes my accuracy. I did buy a higher blade just in case.

Soon I'll be trying other powders and boolits as well. I think I'm going to like this new SBH.

Powersgt
01-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Thats too bad about the Blackhawk 45 / 45acp. Disappointing for sure. I got one of the Lipseys 44 spl bisley's that I haven't shot yet but the fit was very good. Cyl. Throats looked great as well. I'm afraid to shoot it for fear that it will disappoint and I'll have to send it back. I really want the 480 as I have never owned one. Looks to be a great cartridge to hand load and shoot cast bullets. Should fill the gap between my 500 L and 45 colt.

Forgot to say, I have a .44 SPL Bisley. It's one of the finest revolvers I own. You will not be disappointed with this one, mine shoots extremely accurate with a 258gr. Keith bullet from NOE.

Jeff

High Desert Hunter
01-08-2016, 08:25 PM
JSH I disagree, accepting lower quality shouldn't be required, I shouldn't have to replace anything, how hard is it to properly index the grips, while these are better than the Bisley 44 Magnum I received last summer, they are horrendous compared to the Rugers I have purchased in the past. I own a Freedom Arms, paid dearly for it, but I didn't have to fix anything on it, it didn't show up with screws that were buggered and enough scratches to make it look like a used gun, the sights were good, and the cyclinder throats were all uniform. I understand that Ruger is a bit of a victim of it's own success, but after years of buying Ruger products, I am considering spending my money elsewhere.

Markbo
01-08-2016, 09:05 PM
My grips fit poorly like many others. Other than that one peccadillo - that Ruger fixed promptly and free of charge - my gun is as fine as any other Ruger I own and I for one am exceedingly pleased.

I will not be joining the Ruver bashing bandwagon

5.7 MAN
01-09-2016, 01:35 AM
I don't feel my comments are bashing, merely pointing out issues on a brand new item that should really not exist. The grip fit is minor and I will not even mention it to ruger. Currently mine will not even function so that is a valid complaint.

krems
01-09-2016, 02:36 AM
I agree that you shouldn't have to fix anything on a new gun. But if you want a 480 at less than a "custom 5 shot" price then a couple very minor flaws may have to be tolerated. I might be willing to tolerate poor grips, sights tilted a hair, or an average trigger. But if the cylinder / barrel alignment is off or cylinder throats vary or improper size I'm sending the gun back. If the gun shoots I can fix ugly or slick up the action. If the gun doesn't shoot because of barrel/ cylinder problems then any modification I do to the grips or action is like "putting lipstick on a pig". I took a good look at my 44 special bisley today and Ruger got this one right. No complaints on grips, trigger, sights,or cyl. throats. I still haven't shot this gun yet!

High Desert Hunter
01-09-2016, 03:34 AM
I am not here to bash Ruger, I own 3 of them to every one of another brand, handgun and long gun alike. I feel that I should be able to voice my displeasure in the fact that the last 2 Bisleys I have purchased new, one a factory replacement for another Ruger have had so many of the same issues. I plan on seeing how this one shoots tomorrow, if it shoots as I hope, then I will set about correcting the finish and the grips.

JSH
01-09-2016, 08:51 AM
High desert, no foul taken by me.
I got mad at SW several years back and made the move to Ruger.
I tried to deal with SW, what a mess. By the time shipping back and forth I could have either fixed it myself or paid a smith to do it.
I had a custom TC barrel made years ago. Went over the whole thing in detail before ordering and paying my money. Waited my turn and it showed up after a timely wait, (I am willing to wait a fair bit on good work). Got the barrel and it was not even remotely close to what I had specified. Their reply was to the effect, we thought you would be happier with this.

I agree with the thoughts of these things should not be happening. The craftsmanship of years past is few and far between anymore, unless you pay for it. I know of several guys that refuse to even look at a highly respected smiths guns anymore for the reasons mentioned above on a working class mans guns. I thought they were being petty until I saw a couple. Full blown five shot 45 colt the man paid around 3k for and waited a long time. Metal fit and finish was terrible. Grips were cracked and repaired. Front sight was canted. AND had thread choke that could be seen with the naked eye.

Yes it it is a sad day. We will all deal with issues of merchandise how we feel best.

High Desert Hunter
01-09-2016, 01:05 PM
True enough, the Bisley I received last summer, had the worst fitting grips, and the loading gate was moving forward under recoil even with a 250gr Keith and 8grs of Unique, fixed that by tweaking the loading gate spring, still working on the grip issue, I have determined that these should have wider grips. One thing I will say about the Freedom Arms, it is the best grip I have ever used for handling recoil, it is the shape, and the width of the grips, spreads the recoil out. I am hopeful that this new one will shoot well, I have to say, I definitely like that I can carry 5 rounds instead of 4. Should say, I didn't send the 44 back because it shoots so well, I can overlook a lot if it puts the shots where I want them at the ranges I like to shoot.

High Desert Hunter
01-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Range report: Shoots high with the 412gr Hunters Bullets I loaded (some of the worst looking cast bullets I've seen), and the creepy trigger pull made shooting anything that resembles a group impossible, I was lucky to keep 5 shots in 4 inches. Best groups came with the starting load of 300-MP powder, they also shot the closest to point of aim. I had to adjust the rear sight as far right as I could get it without the screw falling out. By comparison, I also took my Bisley 44 Magnum, shot some 300gr Nosler over 2400 and my 429421 over HS6, it will put 5 shots into 1.5" or less at 25 which is the range shot today. I am going to load up the rest of these Hunter bullets, and see if I can improve some things, bent the trigger return spring which alleviated some of the creep, and I am going to skip the Unique loads which shot 5.5-6" high, but were very, very comfortable. Temperature was a chilly 43* with a Northerly breeze, cold by Southern New Mexico standards. I will decide tomorrow if this is going back to Ruger, it just didn't impress me, what I am afraid of is that it may be the actual bullet that is some of the issue. After cleaning, there was very little leading.

contender1
01-10-2016, 09:53 AM
I'd experiment with different bullets. As for shooting high,,, it's easy to get a taller ft sight & fix that. As for windage,,, that may be an issue that needs addressing. Mine shoots a bit left,,, but I was able to adjust that. I put a taller ft sight on mine. While the action & trigger are not match grade,,, mine is normal for a production gun. I never bend springs,,, I replace them & do a proper action job.

High Desert Hunter
01-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I only bend the trigger return spring so that it has less contact, it doesn't need to lay across the trigger the way it does, helps to reduce the creep. Front sight requires a gunsmith, something in very short supply in my neck of the woods.

lar45
01-10-2016, 09:57 PM
I'm not here to bash on Ruger, I own a pile of them.
I have 2 3 screw single sixes, 357 4" GP-100, 4 5/8" 357 BH, 357 max 10", 44mag 7.5" Bisley, 2 SS 5.5" 45 Bisleys, 4 5/8" 45 SS bh, and now this 480 Bisley. And that's just the handguns. I'm sure that I will buy more.
Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a horder.
I'm glad to have my 480 Bisley and would buy it again, but... mine wasn't put together very well. The trigger was very long and gritty, they had the wrong trigger return spring in it, the front sight roll pin hole was drilled in the wrong spot and needed a new front sight base.

I ordered a set of Houge walnut grips from Midway for about $50. They were a little over sized and needed a little sanding to get the fit right. I like the way they look.

The trip back and forth to Ruger for the new front sight base took about 2 1/2 weeks. They sent me a shipping label for it after I called them on the phone. I pleasantly explained the problems and suggested what I thought needed to happen. I also put the problems in writing in with the pistol, they fixed everything on the list and sent it right back. After everything, I'm pleased to have it, and can find no fault with their customer service.
I do agree with you other guys in that it should not have needed to go back.

lar45
01-10-2016, 10:06 PM
For the gun that binds up when cocking it. Maybe look at the cylinder base pin. If it has wiggled out, then the spring loaded plunger won't push back on the transfer bar saftey and it will push up on the fireing pin and bind up the gun.

5.7 MAN
01-11-2016, 01:45 AM
For the gun that binds up when cocking it. Maybe look at the cylinder base pin. If it has wiggled out, then the spring loaded plunger won't push back on the transfer bar saftey and it will push up on the fireing pin and bind up the gun.
This seems to be the issue, I took it down today, cleaned it again and put it back together. Seems to have done the trick.

I am going to shoot it again this week with a few hand loads and some Hornady factory loaded 325 XTPs and see how it goes.

ericp
01-11-2016, 08:14 AM
A .450" nose (protrusion from case) is all mine can take. My throats all measure .477" as well.

Eric

High Desert Hunter
01-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Definitely going to try different bullets, these are the worst commercially cast bullets I have seen, over half have bases not filled out, and 90% have a defect that be sufficient for me to toss mine back in the pot. Should have the Lee mold this week, hopefully it drops bullets that are of the right size so I can try my own bullets.

dubber123
01-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Definitely going to try different bullets, these are the worst commercially cast bullets I have seen, over half have bases not filled out, and 90% have a defect that be sufficient for me to toss mine back in the pot. Should have the Lee mold this week, hopefully it drops bullets that are of the right size so I can try my own bullets.

I'm not sure which LEE design you ordered, but the 400 gr RF is an excellent boolit. I did have to buy 3 to get one that cast within my limit of acceptability, but it is capable of 1.5" or less for 5 shots from my iron sighted .475 at 50 yards if I don't suck too much on that particular day. I have always thought it would make an excellent .480 boolit.

Markbo
01-11-2016, 08:29 PM
For a replacement front sight contact sixshot. He is making some really nice ones. No gunsmith required. OR you can remove the rear sight and lightly file the bottom of it so it will fit further down. This fix has worked for a number of people.

High Desert Hunter
01-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Dubber that is the mold I ordered, can't wait for it to get here, I have been looking at ordering a 385gr LFNPB LBT mold to go with it. Marbo, I was under the impression that they were drill to fit, and from looking at the drilling required, I was thinking gunsmith.

Ramjet-SS
01-12-2016, 09:04 AM
It's sad to see all the issues I have compared BFR side by side with the most recent MFG Rugers and the BFRs have edge on finish and fit up.

snowwolfe
01-12-2016, 10:38 AM
It's sad to see all the issues I have compared BFR side by side with the most recent MFG Rugers and the BFRs have edge on finish and fit up.

That should be expected as the BFR's cost more. Ruger's business philosophy seems to be let's crank them out and then wait to see if anyone complains then we will fix it. Must be cost effective for them otherwise they would spend more time inspecting them before they shipped them to the dealers

Markbo
01-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Dubber that is the mold I ordered, can't wait for it to get here, I have been looking at ordering a 385gr LFNPB LBT mold to go with it. Marbo, I was under the impression that they were drill to fit, and from looking at the drilling required, I was thinking gunsmith.

If you are talking about the sixshot sight you are correct they need to be drilled for the cross pin and maybe even some sanding the flat to fit but it is not gunsmith work. Some sandpaper and a cordless drill will do it. Heck if I can do it, anyone can! :D

High Desert Hunter
01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
I will have to contact him and maybe give it a try. Right now I am struggling with which mold to buy, I really like LBT, and the Miha mold looks excellent, and Accurate Molds does a very fine job, or do I design one at Mountain Molds? I really want one load that will push a 380-410 grain bullet in the 11-1200 fps neighborhood for hunting. I am also thinking of sending it to JRH or Gary Reeder to have it slicked up.

Markbo
01-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Here is a pic of the face of it. Already cut for long range line

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/mb111263/media/E3D44F0E-D6EE-4641-9147-6D3300E52797.jpg.html

wdr2
01-14-2016, 07:51 PM
High Desert Hunter: I have the Miha HP mold for my 480 SBH. While the bullet is accurate and a great hunting bullet, I find the mold rather slow to cast if you want nicely formed bullets. I designed and purchased a 475 cal 370 gr. bullet from Mountain Molds that is working well for me. I highly recommend Mountain Molds. See photos of my first 25yd group (about 1000fps) and the two bullets below. If you want the design specifics for the Mountain Mold, send me a PM.

I will have to contact him and maybe give it a try. Right now I am struggling with which mold to buy, I really like LBT, and the Miha mold looks excellent, and Accurate Molds does a very fine job, or do I design one at Mountain Molds? I really want one load that will push a 380-410 grain bullet in the 11-1200 fps neighborhood for hunting. I am also thinking of sending it to JRH or Gary Reeder to have it slicked up.

Markbo
01-14-2016, 09:10 PM
What do you mean rather slow to cast Bill?

wdr2
01-14-2016, 10:34 PM
I have at least 12 of Miha's molds, even ran group buys for two of them. They are all fantastic! Only the 477-640 HP needs some extra care when casting. I mostly use an RCBS bottom pour and with this mold only I need to "pressure cast," that is hold the mold directly against the spout while casting. This makes for slow going and even doing this I get too many rejects. I do not get complete fill-out (rounded corners, incomplete nose). The mold does work well with a dipper. Perhaps other copies of this mold act differently?

I can cast maybe 3x the bullets with my Mountain Mould in the same amount of time with very few rejects. Both molds produce fine bullets. I am casting with wheel weights at 775F.

What do you mean rather slow to cast Bill?

High Desert Hunter
01-16-2016, 12:00 AM
I love the one mold I have from Mountain Molds! It is one I drew up for my 454 Casull.

High Desert Hunter
01-18-2016, 09:34 PM
I have hemmed and hawed, but after dropping the $$ on a box of Hornady 325gr XTP bullets, I think it has to go back. I could get 3 bullets to group, then 2 would hit 8" left.I loaded these in Starline cases of 2400 with Winchester Large Pistol Primers. Coupled with all of the cosmetic issues, I will be placing a phone call to Ruger tomorrow.

Lefty SRH
01-26-2016, 10:55 PM
My cylinder throats measure .4775" best I can tell, as in a .478" pin BARELY starts. My SRH .480 is a nice consistent .476".
The mold i chose for mine is a NOE 480-375 FN, actual weight is 383gr. Im currently on the group buy for the Mihec 477-640. Unfortunately mine shoots about 4" high so i plan to install a new front blade from Sixshot. Im not real happy about the grips but i plan to replace them as time/money permits. My hopes are to find a custom grip maker match a set to the grip frame.
I feel my Bisley has a lot of potential. While i have only "played" with it in the backyard shooting off hand I was able to shoot a one hole group using Trail Boss. I hope to find a nice accurate load with HS-6 and my NOE boolit.

Markbo
01-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Lefty, what charge of Trail Boss? I might have to try that. ;)

Mica_Hiebert
01-27-2016, 08:53 PM

I have played with trailboss loads for my 480 I don't remember the exact load but I used the base of bullet to bottom of case volume times 70% and they where real gallery loads. Was fun to slip in when some one wants to shoot your big magnum revolver lol

Lefty SRH
01-28-2016, 11:42 AM

I got the load from Hodgdon. It was 5.7gr with the 375 NOE boolit.
In my SRH i shot 5.0 with a 420gr Accurate 478-420S boolit mold. Both loads are outstanding for accuracy.
Hahaha I even use Trail Boss for my daughter when she wants to shoot my .223 rifle.

wl620
02-12-2016, 01:13 PM
High Desert Hunter, I was wondering if you wound up sending yours back? I have one also and cannot get any kind of decent accuracy with cast or jacketed I don't have a set of pin gauges but I have pushed 480 round balls down all the throats and the barrel also the throats are all uniform at .4775" and the barrel is .478 with one little tight thread choke spot, I sized my cast to .478 same as I do for my super RedHawk. 3" groups at 25 yards is the best yet with this s.b.h. While the s.r.h. Shoots that good at 75 yards. I am considering sending it back to Ruger on account of the .0085 barrel/cylinder gap and just all around poor fit. I hate to raise too much hell but I've got what is a lot of money to me tied up in this thing and would like to have it right. I am disappointed in this revolver but not as bad as I was the single seven, that one left a bad taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong I am a Ruger fan and own several but it seems like here lately I've struck out with them.

Lefty SRH
02-12-2016, 05:54 PM
What loads and bullets have you tried in your SBH .480?

Markbo
02-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Every thing you nee to know right here:
http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/15773/loads-ruger-bisley-chart-added

wl620
02-12-2016, 09:24 PM
My cast loads vary but they have all shot good to great in my s.r.h the boo lit I like and shoot the most is an accurate molds 478350K with trail boss,power pistol, unique,4227,h110/w296 and last and my favorite is Alliant 300 mp all in star line cases with cci 300 primers for the faster powders and 350's for h110/296 and federal 150's for 300 mp.
I also have a mp molds 400 gr mold (I can't remember the designation) that have tried in s b h and the Lee 400 gr. Have fired a lot of 5 shot groups out of this thing with all of the boolits and powders listed above and some jacketed that wasn't any better.
I guess I just had high expectations for it especially after owning the srh for several years now which I will never part with and is in the top 3 favorites of all the revolvers I own and the other 2 are rugers also. I think I'm just disappointed on account Ruger marketed this revolver as a hunting handgun and as such it should be accurate. It is not. At least in my hands.

wl620
02-12-2016, 09:31 PM
After re reading my previous posts I did not intend for this to be a rant about Ruger I should have pm HDH and asked how his luck was with getting something done about his. Markbo I thank you for the link I have read it.

High Desert Hunter
02-13-2016, 02:05 AM
Since my pistol got back from Ruger, I have been trying to work on the trigger, the creep is horrible, but getting better. Before it went back to Ruger, it was shooting 6-8" groups, today they averaged 2 1/2-3 1/2". All of the cosmetic issues were addressed to my satisfaction. To date 2400 and 300-MP have proven to be the most accurate powders, I have tried Unique, H110, and HS6. I know my shooting wasn't as good as it normally is today, even my Freedom Arms 454 groups were running an inch and a half, normally they run right around an inch for 4 shots. I think my next outing will be with a couple rifles, give my hands a break, I fired over a hundred rounds today between the 454 and the 480, I think my 375 Ruger will be a break.

wl620
02-13-2016, 02:24 AM
HDH,my trigger i was pretty impressed with from the factory i ususally have to work on a ruger trigger before i feel it is servicable so now you got me thinking i should just be happy with what i have i just wish it would shoot like the srh. i think the extra wide barrel/cylinder gap may be a problem on this one.
Regarding your post above i have had my best accuracy and velocity readings with alliant 300 mp out of my srh and it maintains good accuracy at longer distances with all bullet weights with velocity readings at the muzzle more consistent and considerably higher than h110/296. so far my go to powder for hunting loads in 480.
Thank you for your reply.

High Desert Hunter
02-13-2016, 01:19 PM
I think this one will be making a trip to Gary Reeder this summer, I'm thinking of having the Freedom Arms style front sight installed, action job, a Super Blackhawk hammer, and see if the barrel cylinder gap can be corrected. I must say, other than my Freedom Arms, the Super Redhawk I owned in 454 was by far the most accurate pistol I had ever owned, right now I almost wish I had either bought a Super Redhawk in 480, or saved a couple of years and ponied up for another Freedom Arms in 475. I really wanted a 5 shot Ruger Bisley, ever since getting my first one, a AccuSport 5 1/2" SS 45 Colt in 2002, but I must say, the changes since then have left me wondering if success hasn't degraded their overall quality. I have several Rugers in my safe, and while I am impressed with the 375 Ruger I bought in the Hawkeye line (great trigger, zero creep, shoots sub MOA out beyond 500 yards), the last 3 handguns have left me thinking I need to save and either send mine off for some custom work, or buy more Freedom Arms. In closing I will say, the Bisley 44 I bought last year is finally shooting as good as the old Super Blackhawk it had to replace, but it took a while to get there.

dubber123
02-13-2016, 01:51 PM
Once you get comfortable doing it, fixing Ruger S/A triggers is not hard. If you know what a good trigger feels like, I recommend reducing the hammer notch by 50% right off the bat. It is invariably way too deep, and full of tool marks. It's dragging the sear through this mile long back country road you are feeling. Reduce the notch, stone all surfaces (hammer and trigger), and lightly break the edges. Tune by tweaking the return spring, I don't do the leg off thing. I have gone to under 2#, very crisp, and 100% reliable using a full power mainspring. I don't like softer mainsprings in the Rugers, the hammer fall is slow as molasses as it is.

44man
02-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Dubber is right except for one thing, maybe two. First it is not hammer speed, it is proper impact on the primer so you never weaken a hammer spring. I use over power Wolfe springs of 26# on Rugers and BFR's.
Then once less then 2# triggers, if your trigger bounces your finger forward at break, the transfer bar can drop below the firing pin or just nick it for a hang fire. I make my own transfer bars to never drop off the pin and even less then 1-1/2# triggers are safe.
You must know the Ruger and how it works.

Lefty SRH
02-14-2016, 06:45 PM
WL620, the best load so far in my .480 Bisley has been a NOE 480-375 WFN over 14.0-14.5gr HS-6.

wl620
02-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Lefty I saw some of hs-6 at my local gun shop the other day I used to shoot it in my 44's but haven't had any in quite awhile. Thats about the only powder I haven't tried. I'll pick some up when I go get my gp100 22 that I traded the single seven for.
Have you measured the barrel/cylinder gap on yours? Was just curious,I was thinking of calling Ruger tomorrow, I'm sure they'll tell me it's within their specs and there's nothin they can do about it but it's worth a try.

Lefty SRH
02-14-2016, 10:27 PM
I havent measured the gap, frankly im not real concerned what it is unless i have some problems.

wl620
02-14-2016, 11:11 PM
I usually don't measure one either but in trying to find the problem this is the biggest problem I can find other than the 200 lb. nut behind the trigger. I usually can't get one to shoot too good if the b/c gap is much over .006. Out of curiosity I measured my srh today it is .003.

High Desert Hunter
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM
I can't find my feeler gauge, but I do know that a sheet of plain paper will not even begin to slide through, not very scientific, but on my Smith it will. On a positive note, I almost have the trigger where I want it, still thinking a trip to Gary Reeder for the Freedom Arms front sight conversion and a Super Blackhawk hammer and trigger as they are my favorite.