PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Giraurd

trickyasafox
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
found here (http://www.giraudtool.com/)

As a graduation present- my parents offered to go in for half the cost of a giraurd trimmer for me. :drinks: (I was pretty pleased!)

before I spend that much money though- has anyone used one? I was thinking either that or the Dillon electric trimmer. I really want speed, in 223 specifically. I've been doing the 223's with lee trimmers and a power drill and honestly I'm about ready to throw those darn things across a room. I just can't seem to get a good efficient run with them! I know the trimmer is an awful lot of money- so all opinions appreciated.

also- does anyone know the cost of caliber conversions? 223 is my highest volume rifle cartridge by far, but with a good 30cal mold coming in and another group buy in the works for a 30 cal, that could change some day.

thanks!

mike

garandsrus
04-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Mike,

The Giraud trimmer is very nice... I don't have one but do have a modified Gracey, which I think is just about as good but was several hundred dollars less. The caliber conversions are a little cheaper also.

Here's my setup is:
Gracey without motor: www.matchprep.com/unpowered.htm
NON-POWERED TRIMMER...............................$ 144.00
(Customer adds own power)
ALL CASE HOLDERS.......................................$ 28.00 (one for .223 and one for 30-06 - I think one was included in the unpowered trimmer)
STAND & BOARD ONLY....................................$ 20.00

Then, from Giraud, follow the instructions here to upgrade the Gracey (http://www.giraudtool.com/motorupgrade.htm)
Motor Upgrade with new motor from W.W. Graingers and carbide blade. GMU2 - 140.00 (I bought my motor direct from Graingers so I only bought the carbide cutter from Giraud)

Total - About $300 for one caliber, $28 for additional calibers. A Giraud is $375 and $30 for additional calibers.

I think that Giraud must have lowered his prices (or Gracey raised his more) as I know I saved a couple hundred dollars when I built my setup several years ago.

For the difference in price, I would go ahead and get the Gracey... I trim about 600 cases/hour. I don't bother to check the length of the cases to see if they need to be trimmed, it's faster to just run them through the trimmer.

John

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I've owned and tried out most of the motorized trimmers on the market and own the RCBS one. Most of them are so darn slow, it isn't much better than hand trimming. Were I you, I'd jump on the offer to buy a Giraud.

Just my .02,

Dave

xcrider
04-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I bought the dillon first, sold it and bought the Giraud. I love it as it trims chamfers both the inside and outside of the neck at the same time. A lot quiter and clean up of the shavings is much better (no loud vacum attached as with the dillon). The only down side is cost but in my mind it is well worth it. A nice addition.

imashooter2
04-19-2008, 05:00 PM
A Possum Hollow trimmer and a drill press is pretty fast...

Alchemist
04-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Mike,

I have a Giraud and it is AWESOME!!

Go for it if you can swing it (it is kinda expensive-but WORTH IT!).

You just won't believe how sweet that thing works!

Hope that helps...Congrats! :drinks:

Alchemist

Ken O
04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I convered over to the RCBS X-Dies so I seldom need to trim. If I was still trimming I would definatly go for the Giraud, or a Gracey with the Giraud head.

trickyasafox
04-20-2008, 02:18 AM
that kinda settles it then! thanks for the input all! i kinda had a feeling it was worth it- but sometimes you still wanna kick yourself when you see the price on some high end equipment/

runfiverun
04-20-2008, 01:05 PM
it is usually high end cause some reloader was frustrated with what he was using
and built a better one and put some thought and trial and error into it,
figured out what worked and now builds them.

John F.
04-20-2008, 01:13 PM
I use the Giraud frequently. Before that, I used a Dillon (yuck) and then a Gracey.
There is no comparison, in my opinion -- even using the upgraded carbide blades in the Gracey, the Giraud wins, hands-down. It is extremely fast to trim/chamfer 1000 .223's and with much less effort/blisters than the Gracey's I've used. Changing calibers and getting the inside bevel exactly like you want it takes a little thinking but once you've done it a time or two, it's no big deal.

Can't recommend the Giraud highly enough, and indeed, you DO get what you pay for!! Each time one upgrades from equipment that's "not so good, but cheaper" to "really works GREAT," it tends to result in a financial loss on the now-used, cheaper gear. In my experience, buy once, and be happy and skip the intermediate frustration step!

Hope this helps,
John

trickyasafox
05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
So I got the Giraurd and wow. Great people to work with on the phone, through email, and once you receive the product. Amazing all around. I did about 750-800 223 cases in what felt like no time at all (probably took me a bit over an hour) but I felt like I was moving at warp speed!

After I finished the brass- I wanted to test the giraurd out a bit so I ran 30 pieces of wolf steel 223 through it. The trimmer didn't even hiccup. ate it all and asked for seconds.

if anyone is hesitant on these- I know it's expensive, but if you can swing the price- they are awesome!

NuJudge
05-12-2008, 06:20 AM
I did 4000 .223 cases in one long evening, right after I got a Giraud. They are a little hard on fingertips, but they do crank out the cases.

CDD

Safeshot
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
I use a Drill Press and Lee case trimmer cutters and studs (other cutters may work even better). It is fast, easy, and low cost. You will also have a drill press to use for other work. I resize 30/06 to 7.7mm Japanese and to 8mm Mauser and do not cut the cases off, just trim them down to length. It only takes a few seconds. Did I mention that it is FAST? Even if you do not have a drill press and have to buy one, a good used drill press or a Harbor Freight drill press and an assortment of Lee case trimmers and studs can cost less, leaving some $ in the wallet for other things. If you do not own and use a drill press, you do not know had bad you need one and how much you can use one. Drilling, drum & disk sanding, buffing/polishing, cutting wads, using "hole saws", tapping threads in holes (turned by hand), engine turning, wire wheel work, grinding, and other stuff.

ddeaton
05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
I just got one and it is awesome. If you dont like it after you get it send it to me and I will dispose of it for you

6bg6ga
08-20-2015, 06:46 AM
An old thread but still worthwhile.Just purchased and received a Giraud Tri Way case trimmer in .223 Seems like the perfect way to trim and deburr cases in one step. I opted for the bare unit and will supply my own cordless drill to power it

Kevin Rohrer
08-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Giraud is the Cadillac of trimmers. I have had one for a few years. Did 3k .30carbine brass earlier this year in front of the TV in nothing flat.

Texantothecore
08-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I use a Drill Press and Lee case trimmer cutters and studs (other cutters may work even better). It is fast, easy, and low cost. You will also have a drill press to use for other work. I resize 30/06 to 7.7mm Japanese and to 8mm Mauser and do not cut the cases off, just trim them down to length. It only takes a few seconds. Did I mention that it is FAST? Even if you do not have a drill press and have to buy one, a good used drill press or a Harbor Freight drill press and an assortment of Lee case trimmers and studs can cost less, leaving some $ in the wallet for other things. If you do not own and use a drill press, you do not know had bad you need one and how much you can use one. Drilling, drum & disk sanding, buffing/polishing, cutting wads, using "hole saws", tapping threads in holes (turned by hand), engine turning, wire wheel work, grinding, and other stuff.

+1 on the need for a drill press. Not sure how I managed without one.

An anvil is also one of my favorite tools. So very handy for hammering brass and steel. I highly recommend one to you.

Hawks Feather
08-20-2015, 09:56 PM
I have one and love it. For .223 your fingers can get a little tired if you are doing a thousand or so. I just got a pair of junk rubber padded work gloves for when I do a lot and it is fine. I too had a Gracey and sold it. I have also tried the Possum Hollow doesn't work bad, but is no where near as quick as the Giraud.

ole 5 hole group
08-22-2015, 11:05 AM
OK I'll bite - just how accurate is the Giraurd? Speed is great but some of us are a little anal relative to some measurements. I have tried a couple such as the WFT and the likes for more speed but providing great accuracy - so far none found. They are a lot faster than the "regular" style trimmers such as the Hornady Cam-Lock etc - HOWEVER, case length varied +/- 0.005 and sometimes a little more. When I trim 223 cases I want each and every case to measure 1.755 on the nose - can the Giraurd provide that accuracy case in and case out?

I know, I've been told 0.005" won't effect accuracy but I don't care, I want accurate measurements each and every time.

Kevin Rohrer
08-22-2015, 11:27 AM
I did 4000 .223 cases in one long evening, right after I got a Giraud. They are a little hard on fingertips, but they do crank out the cases.

CDD

I also got sore fingers, but fixed that problem by wearing work gloves.

Someone else also makes a tool that holds cases for you. It is advertised in Handloader magazine.

Kevin Rohrer
08-22-2015, 11:29 AM
OK I'll bite - just how accurate is the Giraurd? Speed is great but some of us are a little anal relative to some measurements. I have tried a couple such as the WFT and the likes for more speed but providing great accuracy - so far none found. They are a lot faster than the "regular" style trimmers such as the Hornady Cam-Lock etc - HOWEVER, case length varied +/- 0.005 and sometimes a little more. When I trim 223 cases I want each and every case to measure 1.755 on the nose - can the Giraurd provide that accuracy case in and case out?

I know, I've been told 0.005" won't effect accuracy but I don't care, I want accurate measurements each and every time.

You set the case trim length and lock it in. It trims, deburs, and chamfers in one operation.

imashooter2
08-22-2015, 11:33 AM

The Giraud, WFT, Possum Hollow and their ilk index off the shoulder. OAL will be as accurate as your shoulder location.

ole 5 hole group
08-22-2015, 12:15 PM
The Giraud, WFT, Possum Hollow and their ilk index off the shoulder. OAL will be as accurate as your shoulder location.

Thank you - I have always found that shoulder to be at slightly different positions on 95% of the cases. I'll just have to stay with my slower trimmer.

rondog
08-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Giraud is the Cadillac of trimmers. I have had one for a few years. Did 3k .30carbine brass earlier this year in front of the TV in nothing flat.

I also have a Giraud, and it's awesome! Coolest tool I've ever owned. But how do you do .30 Carbine cases with it? I bought the .30 Carbine shellholder, and the cases are just too short to work with. I only experienced frustration, no joy.

But for all other rifle cases it's the shizz! And yes, very accurate and repeatable on the OAL, once adjusted. But the cases all have to be properly sized first! And I like to clean the sizing lube off before trimming them.

rondog
08-22-2015, 12:34 PM
FWIW - I don't know how the rest of you do it, but I use my Giraud vertically, so I insert the cases from above and go straight down into the cutter. Kevin's photo above shows his machine in the horizontal position, which I found more difficult to do. For me, anyway.

How do the rest of you use yours? Just curious. I also find some disposable latex gloves help a LOT with gripping the little .223 cases.

MGnoob
08-23-2015, 01:26 AM
I have the Giraud annealer and like it..
For trimming I use the Dillion trimmer on my 1050 with the M die and love it. Mines equip with the W&P autodrive. I clean the reloading room up while my brass is being trimmed.Even go the bathroom or get a drink without watching it..I just started doing this instead of holding the foot pedal and safety button. I just put a coffee can with some boolits for weight on the pedal and button and use the power switch for on/off. It usually runs for over an hour between malfunction.i've accepted this could ruin a few pieces of brass or bend a decaping pin. I trim my .223 brass to 1.750.. and It holds it within 1.750-1.747.. I don't remember why I trim a little shorter than spec..makes me wonder why.
Now if I could just get casting and sizing automated.

Edit
I remember now..I trim them just short to ensure all pieces are trimmed the same lenght.this really helps consistency of the flares with the M die.i only use range pickup that others may have already trimmed under spec.
I'm surprised how much the cases grow from firing, then roll sizing with my case pro 100.
Now that I have several thousand cases and use a brass catcher I should probably not trim them so short unless it is a fresh lot of range pickup.

Kevin Rohrer
08-23-2015, 11:15 AM
For those wondering how to do a straight-walled cases like .30 Carbine, you can buy a chuck from Giraud (costs around $55) that they should offer you when you buy the .30 Carbine parts. To use, insert the cartridge base in the chuck, tighten it by twisting the stem, and trim. It takes about 6-seconds to trim, debur, and chamfer one casing using the chuck. Bottle-neck cases take half that time.

The chuck is setting on top of the Giraud.

Gus Youmans
08-28-2015, 02:53 PM
ole 5 hot group,

If you are shooting a serious bench rest gun and the only variable in your reloading is .005 difference in case length, you might be able to tell a difference - but I doubt it. I switched to a Giraud trimmer about six years ago for trimming my .223 match brass (NRA high power and mid-range prone) and saw no change in my scores following the switch. The Giraud is not worth the cost if you are just trimming a few cases at a time but I trim in batches of several thousand and it is worth every penny.

Gus Youmans

zarrinvz24
08-28-2015, 05:46 PM
The only time I'm not within .001 after trimming is when I am processing machine-gun fired 308 brass. After the initial resize and firing in one of my rifles the next and resizing die is much more consistant.

When I'm resizing I use the redding sizing wax on the bottom 1/2 of a bottleneck cartridge and use the dry neck lube on the inside of the case neck only.