PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an old Rem. M-580 single shot action?

Blackwater
12-27-2015, 04:55 PM
I picked up this old gun a good while back, and have never done anything with it. Have thought about having it converted to centerfire by Calhoon. Has anyone done business with him before? Does anyone here have knowledge of how well his centerfire conversions hold up over time?

I'm thinking about maybe going with the .22 Squirrel, the shortened .22 Hornet, so it'd be short enough to not have to modify the action length by much. It'll almost surely remain a single shot. Not exactly the type of gun for stopping charging rhinos, so a SS shouldn't pose any problems, and might encourage good first shots a bit, too.

Also thought about the .25 Squirrel, too, but doubt I'll go with that, since I already have 2 .22 molds, and the .22's would do anything I'd aspire to do with this type of gun. Just seeking a CF version of a .22 LR/.22 mag. convertible according to how I load the cases.

And all I know about this action is that it's supposed to be significantly better (metalurgy) than most SS .22's, but by how much I don't have a clue. Anyone done much with these or have knowledge or experience with any of the calibers/options I've listed, or anything related? If so, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Outpost75
12-27-2015, 05:14 PM
I had a .32 ACP done by Andy Evans and like it alot.

Nobade
12-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I have one I built in 9mm. That works well, makes a dandy 4lb. rifle for my daughter and quite effective to 100 yds.

The thread on the FN5.7 round necked up and formed to be a rimmed 25 cal. by Chev. William is interesting, I have been thinking about building one up to use that. The 22 or 25 Squirrel would work well, if you have a source for 22 hornet brass.

-Nobade