PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with problems

imacbo
12-27-2015, 04:21 PM
I was casting for the first time today and I have some questions. I was casting WW in a Lee Pro4 20lb that I had smelted in a different pot first. I cast 600 200g RNFP 45 colt with no problems but when I tried to cast my 230g .308 and that is when my problems began. The boolits all came out "cracked". I will try to post pics but not sure if I will do it right. Anyway what would cause this issue?

BK7saum
12-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Mold and/or alloy not hot enough. Short fat boolits cast easier at lower temps. Heat up mold on a hot plate or dip edge into pot until lead doesn't stick, then cast. Cast fast and don't check your boolits.

The lead is solidifying as it enters the mold and not staying molten long enough

imacbo
12-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Ok thats what I was thinking but being new I wanted to make sure before I did something stupid. Thank you.

DerekP Houston
12-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Yep, looks pretty normal for us newbies :D. Best of luck to ya!

slim1836
12-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Most of us started out this way, just don't give up. You will find the right temp. and casting speed. Mold temp. is as important as lead temp. You will find the solution with practice.

Slim

Blackwater
12-27-2015, 05:03 PM
Amen to what Slim said! Sometimes when I'm casting now, I'll drift back to when I first started, and just smile at how much I've learned since then. And I'll also appreciate that beign self-taught, mostly, it was a really intriguing search for better ways, but it paid off hansomely.

One suggestion I'd make is go back and re-read the instructions that came with your mold, and read everything here using the search function of the archives, and you'll be turning out pristine bullets in no time! I sincerely wish I'd had this board as an asset in my own early days when I was getting started. Reading will teach you, but nothing but casting will SHOW you the real meaning and effect of what you read. It takes the two together to get really good at it, but do the reading and casting, and it'll amaze you how quickly you'll be able to cast with the best of us. Really!

bangerjim
12-27-2015, 05:33 PM
HOT...HOT....HOT.

Preheat all your molds to full casting temp on an electric hot plate and you will get perfect drops from the 1st one! I sure do.

Cold alloy and/or cold molds cause wrinkles like that, not grease or oil. Those are PERFECT examples of a cold mold drop.

Frosty boolits are better than wrinkles. You can always just slow down if you mold is too hot.

banger

imacbo
12-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Well I went back to it after a break. Turned my Lee up and was able to cast these. As a new guy I think they look pretty good. 156580

My first time out I cast 600 .45 RNFP and 130 of the 230gr .308156582

bangerjim
12-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Much better.

But still consider getting a hotplate to preheat all your molds and feed ingots. Just saves a lot of time and very inexpensive!

A hotplate is as vital today to good casting as lead, molds, and a melting pot.

banger

imacbo
12-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks I will have to look in to one.

DerekP Houston
12-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Yeah I regretted not getting a hotplate sooner. Helps to preheat the lead ingots as well when you are filling the pot. Second batch looks much better! Mine is the cheapest one walmart had in stock.

Gtek
12-27-2015, 09:22 PM
A good thermometer and a notebook can also be your friend.