PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy Steel 44 Magnum

ofreen
12-27-2015, 02:27 PM
I had a weak moment and picked up a Henry Big Boy Steel in 44 mag on sale at Cabelas before Christmas. It is nicely put together and handier than the brass framed Big Boys. I haven't fired it yet. I did a search on the forum to see what experiences others are having with these but didn't find much.

I found out immediately it won't feed the 429421 seated to the crimping groove - too long (1.710"). I am a little disappointed as that will feed in a buddy's Marlin 1894 but I figured no sweat, I've had a 429215 mold sitting around for years I don't use much so I'll give that a try. Same thing, it is too long when seated to the crimping groove with that one, too (1.645"). I then made up some dummy rounds seating the 429215 to crimp on the front shoulder (1.575") and those will feed, though there is an occasional hitch when the case mouth stubs on the entrance to the chamber. The chamber has a slight chamfer at the bottom that is rather roughly done. I increased the roll crimp a little and that has helped, along with repeatedly cycling the dummy rounds through. I expect it will smooth up more.

I'll experiment more, trying different loads both plain based and GC bullets (I also have a 429244) and report back if any one is interested.

singleshot
12-27-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm interested. Will they feed at 1.6 COL? You tried too long and too short...maybe 1.6 will be just right. :-)

RobS
12-27-2015, 03:05 PM
My Dad has a Henry Golden in 44 Mag. It works very well with the Lee 430-310-RF and on the short COAL crimp groove. IIRC the nose length seated to the short is .310-.320; that leaves the COAL 1.590 or 1.60.

RobS
12-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Dad also loads the NOE version of the Ranch Dog 265 grain boolit and has excellent results with it as well.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=37&sort=2a&page=2

lightload
12-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Arithmetic suggests that both bullets would be the right oal if loaded in .44 spl brass since they were designed for the .44 spl. long before the mag version was born. Also, using a Lee collet crimp die would permit crimping between the groove and forward edge and may provide a sweet spot.

10mmShooter
12-28-2015, 05:56 PM
ofreen,
My .44 Henry will try feed the RCBS 250-KSWC with some jiggling, they are seated to 1.610-1.620Inot really functional). I had to get a custom Accurate 43-240A brass mold that is a 240 gr LRN-FP it cycles like butter sized to .432 and seated to 1.585. The .432 sizing will be key to avoid leading in your .44 Henry. If you want smooth cycling go for a LRN-FP also you gonna need to .432 sizing.

I had to learn about the .432 sizing as .44 rifle chambers are slightly larger than pistol chambers, seems this info is not freely exchanged and often omitted. No biggie I resolved the leading with a the new mold.

Shuz
12-28-2015, 08:00 PM
ofreen--Good info to know about the Henry's. I've been eyeing one! I am fortunate to have lotsa .44 moulds, so I don't think OAL would be a problem as long as I used either the Lee 200 RNFP, or the MP-433-640L or the Lee 44-225 RNFP custom that I have. You may wanna consider one of these that seat for an OAL of about 1.600".

RadarsRUs
12-31-2015, 11:41 PM
Love my Henry brass-frame .44 big boy... Just a treat to shoot that "cowboy assault-rifle"😜

250 g. LBT-LFN GC Sized to 0.432 on 21 gr. of IMR-4227 is just Sweet! I have to Set-Back bullet about 0.008 deeper than std. crimp groove (not a custom mold) for proper feeding from magazine but the gun loves 'me.

Open factory sights into 3" at 50 yds. and an "open-hand" at 100 yd. I would love to see this thing shoot with a 20x scope for tests one day. Bullets from Montana Bullets come very nicely cast and sized. Zero Leading in 40 rounds.

This is a much softer load (by about 400 fps) than standard .44 Mag factory Ammo. Factory 240g. WWB runs about 1700+ fps out of this rifle and you can feel it. Reloads as above are Very comfortable & accurate for target shooting.

Need a little more mad money before ordering a mold from Veral @ LBT.

RobS
01-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Love my Henry brass-frame .44 big boy... Just a treat to shoot that "cowboy assault-rifle"

250 g. LBT-LFN GC Sized to 0.432 on 21 gr. of IMR-4227 is just Sweet! I have to Set-Back bullet about 0.008 deeper than std. crimp groove (not a custom mold) for proper feeding from magazine but the gun loves 'me.

Open factory sights into 3" at 50 yds. and an "open-hand" at 100 yd. I would love to see this thing shoot with a 20x scope for tests one day. Bullets from Montana Bullets come very nicely cast and sized. Zero Leading in 40 rounds.

This is a much softer load (by about 400 fps) than standard .44 Mag factory Ammo. Factory 240g. WWB runs about 1700+ fps out of this rifle and you can feel it. Reloads as above are Very comfortable & accurate for target shooting.

Need a little more mad money before ordering a mold from Veral @ LBT.

Nothing wrong with LBT however NOE has some really great designs with high quality mold construction and are not as expensive. I had a LBT mold Veral cut for me some while back now and where as it was very nice it was more costly vs the molds I have had equal quality from with several of the other custom/semi custom mold makers. Food for thought anyway.

RadarsRUs
01-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Hi RobS, Thanks on the NOE feedback. When I get around to it I kind of feel obligated to Veral for my 1st "real" mold because he has been very helpful in e.mails and phone on initial fire-lapping project and chamber measuring.

Less than 10 Lapping Rounds had this bore just as uniform as can be for pushing patches or a lead slug from breach to muzzle. Had a couple "extra-snug" spots before this procedure.

I saw the link someone posted above to the NOE 265g. (Ranch Dog) though and it looks very enticing. Got 100 lbs of sorted W-W collected for rendering into casting alloy so once I boil that down I'm sure I'll end up with more than just 1 LBT mold and NOE looks like the most likely contender for some other calibers too.

Stay Well & happy new year!

Tom Herman
01-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Arithmetic suggests that both bullets would be the right oal if loaded in .44 spl brass since they were designed for the .44 spl. long before the mag version was born. Also, using a Lee collet crimp die would permit crimping between the groove and forward edge and may provide a sweet spot.

I found out the same thing: The .44 SWC bullet wouldn't feed in a .44 Mag, but fed just fine in the Yellow Boy when loaded into .44 SPL brass.
I suspect if I used a RNFP, it would have fed fine.
Same thing happened to me in the Taurus Thunderbolt: There, I had to switch to a RNFP.

-Tom

Griff
01-04-2016, 04:25 PM
If the OAL will feed fully onto the carrier, these angled feed leverguns {HBB, Marlin 1894 & Winch. 1892}, will sometimes hang up as the bullet feeds into the chamber. Either caused by too long a COAL or, too wide of a meplat. Same with some SWCs, the meplat hangs up on the chamber roof and then wedged between the bolt face and bottom of the chamber mouth. You didn't describe exactly where the bullet was jamming up the action, but that's another consideration to look at. I've handled one, and it would feed factory ammo. But, most leverguns are kinda limited on cartridge OAL, somewhere in the 1.590-1.600" range.

ironhead7544
01-07-2016, 10:45 AM
It might be possible to get a bit more length by taking a bit off the carrier. It works with the 1894 Marlin.

ofreen
01-08-2016, 11:01 AM
You didn't describe exactly where the bullet was jamming up the action, but that's another consideration to look at. I've handled one, and it would feed factory ammo. But, most leverguns are kinda limited on cartridge OAL, somewhere in the 1.590-1.600" range.

The nose snags when the carrier tries to lift the cartridge. It is feeding the dummy rounds with the 429215 crimped on the front band smoothly now with only an occasional hitch on the bottom of the chamber. Some ancient rounds I have around loaded with a Hornady 240gr JHP seated to the cannelure feed flawlessly, but who cares about that? ;-)

The 429421 and 429215 seated to the crimping grooves both chamber fine with no interference, so the basis of my disappointment lies with having to seat them short, leaving more jump to the rifling. That usually results in less accuracy, plus it would be nice to use the same loads in the rifle as I do in my revolvers. I still haven't had a chance to get the rifle out, maybe this weekend if things go right. I intend on testing the semiwadcutters loaded to both lengths to see if there is a significant difference in accuracy.

I have zero interest in using 44 special brass. I have some Special brass I use in the old Triplelock, but using short brass in magnum chambers in either revolvers or carbines is something I don't do.