PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 95 carbine commemerative

bigbear
04-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Anyone here have one of these or experience with one?

junkbug
04-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I have one that I have not fired yet, in 30-06. I bought it to shoot, but lingering thoughts as to leaving it "un-fired, in the box" persist. I however, believe the 30-40 Krag version will be the collectible one, and the 30-06 will not appreciate much in my lifetime.

So I am still just waiting for the right occasion to un box it, remove the stupid barrel decal, and start shooting it.

I definately want to start it out on a diet of moderate cast bullet loads; just "because".

I would also like to find a way to darken the almost blond stock, without stripping it. One of the "Elder Statesmen" at my favorite range likes to rub all his rifle stocks with clean WWII surplus USGI bore cleaner. He likes the way it makes them smell, also. I'll probably start that, once I start shooting it. There is just enough USGI bore cleaner in my supply stach to make that a practical suggestion. I don't use that stuff to clean my guns with anymore, even military rifles firing highly corrosive surplus. Found that Sweet's 7.62 ammonia copper fouling cleaner works just as well, and kills two bird with one stone.

Do you have one? If so have you fired it yet? Tell us how it shoots!

Sean

p.s. One of the reasons I haven't shot mine yet is that I keep getting distracted by projects like the 91/24 TS Carcano I posted about in the CB loads/Military Rifles section. A few more hundred round out of that thing, and I'll be ready to uncrate the Winny 95 SRC.

bigbear
04-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Don't have one (yet),trying to decide whether I "need" one. A bud has one for sale. He has an uncanny knack of coming up with gems I really must have, and every one of them that I passed up,I've really regretted later on:cry: So I was hoping someone would help me out with a "I had one, real piece of junk" or a" I traded my left you know what for one and don't regret it one bit!"

04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Well, obviously with a username like 405 how could I not like the Win 1895s. But, I do not have any of the re-issue (new) models. I imagine the metallurgy and tolerances to be better than the originals. Don't know the caliber you are thinking about (30-06 or 30-40?) but the 30-40 is probably the better choice in the carbine- I guess I've always thought of the 30-40 as kind of a 30-30 on steroids. The 1895s are not classical Win levergun shaped by any means but they do grow on you.

Not having to crimp bullets so tightly is nice and the ability to shoot SP or RN bullets is a ballistics plus. The Win 95 action is a particularly smooth design- no clunks, clinks, fits and starts.... seems the bolt, lever and magazine feed system is always tuned up and lined up... the smoothness being something like a Win 73 in good condition. Also I would think that shooting an '06 carbine with full house Jbullet loads would be a little uncomfortable. Cast loads would be much more pleasant :)

As an aside, I found that it was easier to get good cast bullet results in the 405 than in the 30 cals. So you might even consider getting a 405 if for some reason you don't get the carbine. The 405 in a rifle with full pressure Jbullet loads is right at my recoil tolerance level. But the lesser cast bullet loads are pleasant... as would be the case in the '06 carbine and even nicer in the 30-40 carbine

Anyway, you should like the '95 in whatever caliber.

jhrosier
04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I was drooling all over my keyboard, just thinking of the '95 carbine in 30-40.
Then I went and checked the price. At $1600+ it just isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

I do have a pair of '95 rifles, a Win in .405 and a Browning in 30'06.
I sort of regretted buying the .405 because of the cost and scarcity of components, and the problems of getting and installing an affordable peep sight. I put a couple of boxes of factory ammo through it and it shoots well enough.

OTOH, the Browning is rapidly becoming a favorite. I have a lifetime supply of brass and it seems to like the 31141 boolits pretty well. It also has a Williams peep sight that really helps the old eyes.

The action on both of the rifles is so slick that I sometimes worry about whether it picked up a cartridge from the magazine. Even the flat point bullets in the '06 are a slick as grease on ice.

Now, if I could trade the .405 for a Browning 30-40, I would be all set.:-D

That '95 carbine does have a nice look to it though. Bet it would be handy in the woods.

Jack

bigbear
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
what is the weight and load for your 3006browning95. Mine shoots patterns rather than groups with every load I've tried so far.

jhrosier
04-22-2008, 05:45 AM
what is the weight and load for your 3006browning95. Mine shoots patterns rather than groups with every load I've tried so far.

The 31141s were about 170gr, cast of lino + WW and water dropped.
They were not sized and lubed with Lee liquid alox. Hardness in the high 20s.
Loaded over , IIRC, 20 gr 2400.
The load shot 1-1/2 to 2" at 100 yards, consistently.

Jack

bigbear
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
What is IIRC? Thanks.

jhrosier
04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
What is IIRC? Thanks.
Sorry, IIRC = if I recall correctly

Jack

bigbear
04-23-2008, 12:37 AM
:rolleyes::cool:Egads, I'm older than I thought. Is this part of the text message thing.I will remain a Luddite to the bitter end...no cell phone, Blackberry or other pocket electronic taskmaster! Thanks for the load info.