PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Hakim chamber issue

FabMan
12-27-2015, 12:15 PM
I took my "New" rifle out to shoot and it would only chamber the round about 95 percent of the way. The bolt would not fully close. I marked up the bullet with black and re-chambered it. There was a scratch on it. Bore scope revealed the throat area is slightly peaned over into the bore preventing the bullet from fully entering it. I can't tell how it happened, but Its there. Is there a way to correct this without purchasing a reamer? I just need to remove about 7-10 thousands material.

GhostHawk
12-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Well I won't say for sure you can, but I used to have a similar problem with a Mosin.

I went digging around, (Google is your friend) and saw where someone used an oak hardwood dowel long enough to chuck in a drill and reach the throat. I believe he used bore paste and was able to see the trouble spot on the dowel and removed it.

My solution was slightly different. I found an old perch for a bird cage about the right size, whittled it down to bullet shape on the end, but left the tip with the slot. Pulled apart a piece of steel wool, folded it in there and gave it about 30 seconds on medium speed with some pressure.

Bore camera shows definate change, instead of a sharp 90 degree corner now it is rounded, tapering into the rifling.

Cartridges that would not chamber now slide home slick, no more scraped up boolits.

Way i figured even if I screwed it up as long as I was a mite cautious a reamer would fix it.
Cost me nothing but some time and head scratching

FabMan
12-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks Ghosthawk. I may try that. A radius should not hurt anything.

reed1911
12-29-2015, 10:13 AM
I would really advise using a chucking reamer to correct it. They are cheap, 10-13 dollars and available in any size. The problem I am envisioning is either you open it up too much and the brass expands larger at the mouth than the neck base or you oblong the chamber. Both are a ruinous affair on a not inexpensive rifle. You can also rent a reamer for less than 50.00 and really do it the proper way.

If you are slow and careful you certainly can get it done the way that has been suggested, but I'm one for always having such things fall apart on me and something goes amiss.

Edit to note: You can do this by hand with the reamer, 7-10 thou. is not a lathe job if you do not have one available.

FabMan
12-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks much Ron,
I agree, I don't want to ruin the gun(I think I paid 125 for it in the good old days)
I might buy a used reamer so I can use it in the future.