PDA

View Full Version : Stainless barrel break-in techniques??????

Typecaster
04-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Any suggestions for breaking in a new stainless barrel? I've got a Ruger #1 stainless .308, and have heard various suggestions for break-in, including a J-bullet every 5 minutes for the first 20 shots, scrubbing the barrel between shots.

Any recommendations here? I'm planning for this to be a combo J & cast shooter.

Ben
04-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I once took a Howa .Sporter weight barrel, 308 Win. and took some tight fitting patches and ran non embedding 600 grit abrasive compound through the barrel ( about 50 passes )while it was new and prior to it being fired.

I have my doubts that any dimensional changes occurred in the barrel with 600 grit, it feels like talcum powder. But everything got a mirror smooth polishing.

That rifle shot 1/2 - 3/4 " for 5 shots with 155 gr. Hornady A-max bullets at 100 yards and showed very little tendency to copper foul.

Keep in mind that it just might have shot 1/2 - 3/4 " groups @ 100 yards if I had not done the polishing also......Hard to say....

Ben

JSnover
04-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I dunno...... There's a lot of variations on the central theme. The main point is to keep the barrel clean for the first 50-100 rounds, while the boolits are scrubbing the bore for you. The way I was taught was to clean with bore cleaner, followed by alcohol before firing the first round, stripping any left over lube or chips from the new barrel. Then, clean after each round for the first 5. Then clean after every 5 rounds for a total of 25. Then clean after every 10 for a total of 50. All of this was to be done with conventional products; bronze brush, solvent, oil, cotton patches until they come out white, then a dry patch before firing.
You'll get a LOT of 'right' answers to your question and probably a lot of discussion about whether it's really necessary. If nothing else you want to get the burrs out before they have a chance to leave any scratches, hence the obessessive/compulsive cleaning between rounds.

bullshot
04-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Go on some of the barrel makers sites and look what they recommend. I figure they make these things for a living and want happy customers soooo. I built an across the course rifle last year using a Pac-Nor barrel, followed their break in procedure. Rifle, after the break in shoots one hole groups at 100 yds and 3/4 in at 200 yds. It shoots better than my capabilities.

No_1
04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
The easiest way to break it in is to send it to me in trade for one of those #3's I have that you want ;)

R.

waksupi
04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Stainless barrels tend to shoot well right off, and require little or no break in. It is common for sub MOA groups first time out when we test rifles. Chrome moly tends to need the break in more. Looking at barrels with borescopes, stainless seems to have a bit better finish, and not require so much work to get them to settle in.

Typecaster
04-20-2008, 01:21 AM
no_1:

Trade for "one of?" Isn't his the era of "new math?" #3+#3=#1SS? (Just kidding...I just wish there'd been a #1-V in .308). Believe me, I'm still thinking of your #3s.

Best (and your Care Package will go out Monday or Tuesday),

R

No_1
04-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Richard,

That is the new math but I am old school. How is that 30-40 doing? Got a range report?
R.