PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Savage 10ML

Lead melter
04-19-2008, 08:26 AM
My brain works in quite strange ways from time to time. I was looking at a catalog with the Savage 10ML and the price floored me!
With the huge amount of Savage M10's around, why couldn't someone with a shop and some knowledge build his own?
Seems like a new bolt head {from Savage}, a bolt blank in 45/70 or 500S&W {from a myriad of suppliers}, a chamber plug and ignition module {from Savage} plus some time and machining would put the Homebrew 10ML together.
Parts could then be swapped back to original to make the standard M10.
I don't know it all, but seems like it would work. What think ye?

Nobade
04-25-2008, 07:49 AM
I've thought about that and I don't think it would be very practical to us ethe factory parts, since the bolt and reciever are completely different on the muzzleloader version. (Much shorter) However, why not fit a barrel that has a screwed in plug up into it and is chambered for a small centerfire case that fits the bolt head (45 ACP, 40 S&W, etc. Whatever fits) that carries the primer? That would give a nice sealed ignition system and hold even more pressure than the Savage system. My boss built a Ruger #1 like that years ago, that uses magnum case heads cut off 1/2 inch long for sealing and ignition. He built a push through die out of part of the barrel used for the rifle that allows him to pre-rifle Barns X bullets. 460 Weatherby load data is used (about 100gr. 4350) and the Barns bullet, and it works like a champ.

Lead melter
04-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Seems like Savage did that module system with modified cases when the ML10 first came out. If I recall, they changed the module for some reason, but I'm not entirely sure.

Your idea of a "plugged" barrel does have a lot of merit, I can see where it would really send some slugs zipping. A 458 Winchester barrel could easily absorb any pressure black or its substitutes could create. Matter of fact, like you wrote, it will take serious pressure from smokeless. Here in N.C. there is not yet any requirement to use black or a substitute during the ML season, just so long as the barrel loads from the muzzle.

I too have used the "pre-rifle" slug technique...still do when shooting the Lee 50 cal Minie boolit. Makes loading in the field a lot easier. When sooting my 45 cal, I use the Lee 405-459-FN hollow base sized to .454". Loads like a dream and the hollow base skirt expands to get good accuracy....along the lines of 2 1/2" at 100 yards with a 1275 fps speed. Plenty enough to drop Bambi.

NSP64
04-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I thought about getting a .50 cal BMG barrel off of Evil bay (before the ban) and make a smokeless ML out of it.:-D