PDA

View Full Version : I Have No Idea What's Wrong

TBreezy2511
12-27-2015, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, just recently started castin and I have a question. I have a Lee 150 gr .309 dia mold and the front of the two cavities won't let free. I'm not sure if this is actually a "problem" but it's rather frustrating and inconvenient. Thanks

duckey
12-27-2015, 12:07 AM
Well off hand check the cavities for smoothness, burs, crud, anything that would keep a bullet from dropping, could try sooting the cavities. if its a new mold or still under warranty contact Lee on line and return it for repair or replacement. Have several Lee molds and have never had this problem. Lee will take care of you.

TBreezy2511
12-27-2015, 12:11 AM
Thank you it is a new mold as I said brand new to this. While doing some research before jumping into it I saw where everyone is sooting the cavities and I have done so to both cavities which makes it odd to me that one of the bullets has to be pried out every time.

Pablo 5959
12-27-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure what mean by the front won't let free.
is this a two cavity or 6 and your just having trouble with the front two?
check the edges of the cavities with a magnifying glass for rough edges carefully remove fins with an ex-acto knife. Did you smoke the cavities with a lighter after cleaning with soap and tooth brush?

waksupi
12-27-2015, 12:15 AM
When I get a stubborn Lee, I just take some 0000 steel wool, and rub the edges lightly. You should be able to run your finger over them and feel if they are burred or smooth.

TBreezy2511
12-27-2015, 12:17 AM
Yes sorry it is a 2 cavity and I did clean it but I will take a look at it with a magnifying glass and see what I can see thank you guys

propwashp47
12-27-2015, 12:28 AM
with a new lee mold this is normal. wash mold with dawn dish soap. when dry run a q tip a round both cavity's check for burrs , use a hardwood dowel to rub off any burrs. an un sharped pencil will do . if it still sticking, smoke the molds with a butane lighter. this is just break in on a new lee mold. some will respond better than others. some may need this treatment more than on time. your two hole should shape up quickly . a 6 cavity you may have some that that stick and need this treatment till a 6 are dropping like rain drops when you open your mold. good luck casting in 2016

TBreezy2511
12-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Thank you propwashp47 and everyone else

propwashp47
12-27-2015, 12:39 AM
your welcome. this site is all a bought helping each other, when I started typing no one had answered by the time I posted 4 members had responded . there are so many with great skill and first hand info read to help you on your way. welcome to your home away from home

ChrisCbr
12-27-2015, 12:44 AM
Probably a sharp edge. I chuck up a cotton mop with polish in the drill and polish until it's like a mirror.

fryboy
12-27-2015, 12:48 AM
lolz @ " pry it " ...been there done that ...and not just on lee molds , 9 times out of ten it's a burr , some burrs are harder to see especially those on the vent lines, a pinched/wallered lube groove can also do it , deburr ,reclean and if your not golden rinse and repeat ;) ( erm until you are ) sometimes a light lapping can help

Hickok
12-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Another thing to look for is mold temperature and alloy/melt temperature. When you get both right, boolits fall out of the mold nicely.

Retumbo
12-27-2015, 08:46 AM
I just got a new Lee myself. I run my fingernail around the edge to feel/scrap off the burr. Sometimes they are folded back over against the block. Get rid of those too as they cause fins on the bullets.