PDA

View Full Version : Is this range finder any good?

DeanoBeanCounter
12-26-2015, 07:53 PM
I found a golf range finder on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Neon%C2%AE+Digital+7X+Pocket+Golf+Range+F inder+Rangefinder+Golf+Scope+Yards+Measure+Distanc e+Meter
It's suppose to have a 1000 yard range, and under $30. There are some up to $3500 but are they really any better. Most are $100 to $300.
Any thoughts?
Dean

jsizemore
12-26-2015, 08:29 PM
For under $30 you got to give it a try. My Leica can read through rain, snow and brush for a bit more then 30 bucks. I bought mine when they were $225.

4rdwhln
12-27-2015, 01:41 AM
I think these are set to use the flag at the hole to range..I had one like that at one time.

paul h
12-27-2015, 04:27 AM
You get what you pay for. If you want to accurately range out to 1000 yds on surfaces that aren't large and dead flat, then you're going to have to bust out your wallet. You're unlikely to get solid 1000 yd performance in the real world for under $500, for $30?

buckwheatpaul
12-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Ive got the Leupold....like jsizemore's my Leupold works under any conditions.....I was once using a cheap binocular during a very snowy and cold Colorado deer/elk season and they fogged and caused problems...if you can afford it...go for the best you can afford....IMHO....

Smoke4320
12-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Generally in electronics the more you spend the better the product.
Research is your friend
Doubt a $30.00 rangefinder is gong to be real accurate
Have owned several. From $100 Bushnell to a $600 lecia
Each step up gave me better performance especially in poor weather.
Also pay attention to cold weather specs
Some of the cheapest will not work in - freezing weather

chambers
12-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Hunted out west ranging animals from 200 to 1400 yards, my Leupold 1200 would not read a black angus out far, but my guide who had a Zeiss could easily read out to 1500 to 2000 yards, but he paid almost 10X more. You pay for what you get.

ole 5 hole group
12-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Like others have said - in electronics you basically get what you paid for but sometimes you will get lucky with something less expensive, but it won't happen often.

Not much out there for under $1,500 that will accurately range animals at 1,000 yards and beyond in most rugged hunting terrain but for 300 to maybe 600 yards - accuracy will cost up to $700, depending upon brand, new or used and if you get a deal or not. If you're ranging across open prairie - maybe you could range an elk at 1,000 yards, as maybe the electronics have gotten better over the past couple of years???

As of maybe 5 years ago the most accurate range finders at distance were Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski in that order. When I was looking, I was lead to believe the key is the beam thrown - the smaller the better, as when you range something at 300 yards out, you don't want to range thick brush at 210 yards out and think that's your target. One can also use the range finder as binos, so you can think of your purchase in that manner if that will help to get the purchase by the War Department.;-)

For $30 I'd give that golf unit a go and just see what it's all about in the hunting field.

southpaw
12-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Ive got the Leupold....like jsizemore's my Leupold works under any conditions.....I was once using a cheap binocular during a very snowy and cold Colorado deer/elk season and they fogged and caused problems...if you can afford it...go for the best you can afford....IMHO....

I think mine might need a trip back to the factory. I don't think that I have ever got it to read anything much over 800 yards and most times 600 seems to be a stretch. Conditions don't seem to affect it. I got it about 7-8 years ago.

As for the op- I wouldn't wasted my money on it. I am willing to bet that you will be disappointed with it.

Jerry Jr.

williamwaco
12-27-2015, 12:45 PM
The instructions say you have to know the height of your target ( In yards ).
You might as well use the reticle in your scope. Only a very plain reticle with no dots or duplex will not allow that.

Doc Highwall
12-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Here is a good write up on laser range finders.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/laser-rangefinders/

Artful
12-27-2015, 03:20 PM
I found a golf range finder on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Neon%C2%AE+Digital+7X+Pocket+Golf+Range+F inder+Rangefinder+Golf+Scope+Yards+Measure+Distanc e+Meter
It's suppose to have a 1000 yard range, and under $30. There are some up to $3500 but are they really any better. Most are $100 to $300.
Any thoughts?
Dean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TM_S6prUg