PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell a real Ebony forend from black plastic?

Clark
12-26-2015, 06:53 PM
I have been scratching, knocking, and looking under a microscope.
Is there a way to tell?

bdicki
12-26-2015, 07:26 PM
The ebony that I have has obvious grain patterns in it with very small lighter streaks.

bangerjim
12-26-2015, 07:41 PM
Depends on the species.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony

Pictures:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ebony+wood&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS640US641&oq=ebony&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3j69i60l2.4508j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US#imgrc=_

All will have grain to some extent and you should be able to see the pattern under that microscope you have.

Also black plastic will be cool to the touch. Real wood will be warmer as it has insulating properties and does not absorb heat from your body as fast.

I use Gabon and Makassar in my antique reproductions.

banger

pietro
12-26-2015, 09:48 PM

Heat the tip of a pushpin/needle, and try to insert it into the FE tip, inside the barrel channel - if the heated tip penetrates, it's a plastic FE tip; if the heated tip doesn't penetrate, it's the real deal.

fryboy
12-26-2015, 09:53 PM
what pietro stated , altho i wont say penetrates as much as melts as penetration to some extent is possible on both ( the plastic usually easier and deeper ) also make sure not to do it at the joint as that usually has epoxy or some other type of glue and could give a false test

376Steyr
12-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Propane torch. If it melts and drips, it's plastic.:kidding:

chsparkman
12-28-2015, 06:13 PM
When I look at your picture I think I see wood grain, but I could be wrong.

dragonrider
12-28-2015, 10:44 PM
I could also be a different species of lighter colored wood that has been ebonized. That is stained with aniline dies for example. One would have to be familiar with Ebony and it's grain pattern to be sure.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Propane torch. If it melts and drips, it's plastic.:kidding:

Sure, and if an old lady sinks when thrown into water, she wasn't a witch. A small drop of paint stripper in the barrel channel will etch a texture in most plastics which it won't on wood.

It is harder to tell horn from ebony, but at least if the ebony hasn't cracked or shrunk, to which it is more prone, both are about equally good. On old firearms hard rubber can have a slightly fibrous texture, but again, if it still looks good, it is good.