PDA

View Full Version : Having an issue with the state of Illinois now.

tazman
12-26-2015, 06:46 PM
I traded for a Ruger Mark II on Wednesday. I called the gun shop today to see about picking the gun up(Illinois has a 3 day wait for handguns), and they told me they couldn't let me have it.
Apparently the state computer system is down and they can't do the background checks in the appropriate amount of time. The state told the gun shop not to release any guns until they could do the background checks.
According to the rules as I understand them, the state has 72 hours (for handguns) to complete a background check. If they do not do so, the purchase can be completed and the purchaser can take possession of the gun. The state is failing by refusing to allow the gun shop to complete the transaction after 72 hours because the state didn't do it's job.
I realize other states have longer waiting times, but I just want the state I live in to follow it's own rules and not impose a longer wait time due to it's own failure to do it's job.

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Damn good reason not to live in Illinois but that response doesn't help you much.

This is one of those situations in which the best response is to do nothing. There is no good way to deal with that problem and about 100 bad ways to deal with it, so take deep breath and wait.

I will say that the odds of getting ANYTHING done between Christmas and New Years are incredibly slim. Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing, will get done until the Monday after New Years day.

GabbyM
12-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Illinois is about to shut down. Due to lack of funds. Illinois is broke. The highway department complex east of Mattoon had there water shut off for lack of payment. So they have no working bathrooms.

The milk is about to dry up on this teat. We already have the 2nd highest property tax in the nation. Behind New Jersey.

tazman
12-26-2015, 08:34 PM
I am wondering if this is some sort of back door waiting period extension cooked up by the Democratic party who control most of this state and implemented by the state police who are all union members and vote democrat.

I realize there is nothing productive I can do about this except to complain as loudly as possible. I feel a bit better for venting.
Thanks for listening.

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Tazman, it is important to remember that this is not a personal attack on you but rather just typical bureaucratic government inefficiency. And to make matters worse, it is a Saturday on the day after Christmas. It sucks but you'll eventually get your pistol. The gun shop wants to complete the transaction, the state doesn't really want to stop the transaction and the bureaucrat that needs to fix the problem doesn't know you.
It will happen but probably not within the normal time frame.

In the meantime, Good Choice in pistols! The MKII is one of the great .22 pistols of all time. I've owned a small pile of them and they will outshoot/outlast just about everything else on the market.

GabbyM
12-26-2015, 08:45 PM
No tazman. Nothing is getting done. For sure no overtime or holiday pay. But more likely is they have there phone lines shut off. As in lack of pay disconnect.

tazman
12-26-2015, 08:46 PM
In the meantime, Good Choice in pistols! The MKII is one of the great .22 pistols of all time. I've owned a small pile of them and they will outshoot/outlast just about everything else on the market.

That's good to hear and exactly what I am hoping for. It is the competition model and I have high hopes for it. I will be using it in target leagues at my "home" range.

GabbyM--- That sounds like a normal condition for the Illoinois bureaucracy.

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2015, 09:04 PM
I had one of the Competition models with the slab sided barrel and thumb rest grip panel. It was a great gun. Sold it to a good friend and got an old stainless bull barrel back from a family member to replace it.

The MKII is one of the great pistol designs of all time. Simple, durable, reliable and accurate. They are superb target guns.

The MKII is fine out of the box but if you want, there are a few simple modifications that will take them to the next level.

The first is the replacement of the hammer & sear with the Volquartsen hammer & sear kit. That one step will dramatically improve the trigger pull without reducing reliability even slightly. The second modification is the installation of a trigger that has an over-travel screw. I use the old Clark trigger.
Those two mods will take a very good pistol and turn it into a great target pistol.

Like all .22 rimfire guns, they will show a strong preference for a particular type of ammunition. By testing different brands and types of ammunition you can often shrink group sizes considerably.

Enjoy your new toy, they are great guns!

tazman
12-26-2015, 09:35 PM
I have several brands of ammo that I can try in it ranging from cheap to fairly expensive pistol match. I have been getting good, but not spectacular results in all my 22lr guns from Federal auto match bulk ammo. I have one gun that likes Norma pistol match and another that so far shoots all ammo I have including Thunderbolts into the same good group. I am hoping to find something that works really well for the Ruger MarkII

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2015, 09:40 PM
I have several brands of ammo that I can try in it ranging from cheap to fairly expensive pistol match. I have been getting good, but not spectacular results in all my 22lr guns from Federal auto match bulk ammo. I have one gun that likes Norma pistol match and another that so far shoots all ammo I have including Thunderbolts into the same good group. I am hoping to find something that works really well for the Ruger MarkII

Half the fun is finding the best ammo ![smilie=s:

tazman
12-26-2015, 09:55 PM
AHHH yes. The quest for the elusive magic bullet. You are right. That search is a lot of fun.

472x1B/A
12-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Good choice on the Ruger Mark II tazman. Have one that is a tack driver. Hope everything goes o k for you getting your pistol.

But, I was born,rasied here in Ill. and would NOT do anything to help improve this state. Every body has there hand out every payday; GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME !!!! If we had the money we'd be outa here.

tazman
12-26-2015, 10:48 PM
You live in Knox county. You are relatively close to me. I recently moved from Mcdonough to Mercer so you can't be too far away. I will be in Galesburg tomorrow for a family Christmas party.

44man
12-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Venting here is right and proper since we all feel the same. I am in WV and we have a lot of demoncrats here as neighbors but none are anti gun and allow us to hunt and shoot. I hear shots from the little town I live near most every day.
However it is still the give me stuff and if anyone has a "D" they vote that way. They don't know the harm they do to freedom and our country. They were born with flaps on ears that slam shut if the "R" word is said. So many worked and retired from the Gov't with pensions 10x what I earned by working. They live on my tax money I have to pay from SS and my pittance retirement. Why do I have to make out a tax return?
The richer a demoncrat is, the worse they are. They are controlled by richer and control the poor with promises. They want migrants to vote and even criminals.
Forgive me too but there is nowhere else left to vent. You are MY people.

tazman
12-29-2015, 10:37 AM
I finally got cleared to pick up my gun this morning. I am on the way. I hope to have a picture or two later.
6 days waiting when by law it is supposed to be 3. I guess this is the new situation even though it isn't according to law.
Bureaucrats make the rules now.
I got a little more info from the dealer. He said that according to the rules, he could have released the gun to me after 3 days. The problem was, the state told him if any of the guns were released without the state's approval, the gun shop would be held accountable if any of the guns were used in a crime.
It's just wrong when the state won't obey it's own rules/laws.

Chihuahua Floyd
12-29-2015, 11:01 AM
State tries to hold gun shops responsible any way. They should ha e released pistol to you imho.

GabbyM
12-29-2015, 12:15 PM
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/7fe208d3c85ffa1d03aeaade4/images/d87f11b6-592b-461b-8d91-759e5841cfaa.jpg

GabbyM
12-29-2015, 12:16 PM
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/7fe208d3c85ffa1d03aeaade4/images/944319ab-0970-4bed-bd07-b4b7244e13b8.jpg

Char-Gar
12-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Ahh, the trials and tribulations of being at the mercy of government functionaries! The resulting frustration is part of our lives, no matter where we live. Yes, even in Texas.

Enjoy the Ruger Mk II. I have two of them and they are great handguns.

tazman
12-29-2015, 06:52 PM
I finally got home with it. It seems to be in great shape. I will shoot it within the next few days.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-29-2015, 07:14 PM
I finally got home with it. It seems to be in great shape. I will shoot it within the next few days.
I have the same pistol you will love it after i ran maybe 500 rounds through mine to break it in now it will eat anything FWIW its PITA to clean it

tazman
12-29-2015, 07:40 PM
I have been using gun scrubber to get the hard to clean stuff out of the crevices of my semi-auto pistols. I then put a few drops or a light spritz of oil on the moving parts. Seems to be working fine for me that way so far.
Hopefully it will work for the MarkII as well.

Petrol & Powder
12-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Tazman, that's a great gun. The bureaucrats are annoying but rarely smart enough to be called calculating :razz: .

That pistol will be worth the wait. I noticed that Midwayusa has the Volquartsen hammer/sear/trigger kit on sale. It contains a new slide stop that you don't really need but even with that extra part it's still a good deal.
As for disassembling and re-assembling the MKII, it's really not hard at all once you get the knack for it. Field striping requires that the mainspring housing be un-latched and removed in order to get the bolt out of the receiver. When re-assembling the gun the hammer strut must be in the proper relationship with the mainspring in order for the bolt to function. It sounds more difficult than it really is and once you can visualize that relationship it becomes a no-brainer.

Move forward, put the annoying "little people" behind you and enjoy your new Toy.

bedbugbilly
12-29-2015, 08:17 PM
tazman - glad you got it all taken care of and now have your Ruger . . . and it looks like a very nice one!

The one thing I like here in MI is that if you have a CPL, you don't have to go through a background check as you've already been checked out for your CPL. The MI CPL has your photo on it as well. We still have to send in the form you get from the dealer when you purchase to the local Sheriff Dept., etc. for registering it. My Conceal Carry Permit in AZ works the same way but there is no photo on it.

As far as I'm concerned, this whole background check is screwed up. If the Feds keep pushing it . . . then issue a photo ID which shows you've been cleared and then when purchasing, a quick check on a data base would show if it is valid or not. Of course if the Feds went with such a thing, they would make it so difficult and confusing it would probably end up like the IRS forms.

At any rate . . glad you were able to pick it up and now you can enjoy it!

Jim

FergusonTO35
12-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Yep, thats how we do it in the Bluegrass. If ya got your CCW license just fill out the forms and enjoy your new toy.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-29-2015, 09:21 PM
just thought i would stick this in here JIC you need it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_wTmiko0g

tazman
12-29-2015, 09:27 PM
Here in Illinois we have a FOID(firearm owners ID card) that we must pay for and pass a background check for before we can buy any ammunition or guns. If you move or have certain other life changes you must reapply and pay a fee even if the card has not expired( I moved 3 months ago). Even with this card, the state requires a background check for every gun purchase. You would think simply having the card would be of some benefit to you but apparently not except that to get the card it takes over 30 days on the average. You must display the card to buy any ammo or handle any firearm at a store.
Chicago's rules are more Draconian than the ones for the state, but this doesn't seem to stop the criminals from shooting people on a regular basis. The police blame Indiana for the criminals guns. I haven't seen any statistics which would prove or disprove this claim.
All firearm transfers require a background check. This includes transfers between private individuals, face to face, and between family members. A private person must maintain a record of who they sold a gun to for 10 years from date of sale for tracking purposes.
It would seem they have all the bases covered but it doesn't change anything as far as the crooks are concerned. It only makes it more difficult for honest people.
Apparently the state views all the residents as potential criminals. Even those with perfectly clean records.
All it takes in this state to lose your guns and privileges is for some one, any one, to accuse you of almost anything that might be violent or threatening. You don't have to be guilty and there doesn't need to be any evidence beyond the accusation. The police will come and take your guns.
The bad part is the new psychiatry/mental health rules they are putting in place. Any psychiatrist or therapist can send in a report and you automatically lose your guns.
I spoke to a therapist with an agenda a few months ago. He was all for the new rules. He stated that as far as he was concerned, simply owning a gun was evidence of unstable mentality. If you claim a need for self defense you are paranoid and delusional and he would gladly fill out the forms on anyone he knew who had guns in their household.
How does one go about stopping this kind of garbage? Especially in a state run by Democrats?
The only good part of this situation is that currently they can't stop you from getting guns but they are certainly trying.

tazman
12-29-2015, 09:29 PM
just thought i would stick this in here JIC you need it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_wTmiko0g

Thanks. That was a very good video. I have saved it to my computer so I can watch it as needed.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-29-2015, 09:36 PM
you are welcome we need to move out of this state

pietro
12-29-2015, 09:59 PM
I traded for a Ruger Mark II on Wednesday. I called the gun shop today to see about picking the gun up(Illinois has a 3 day wait for handguns), and they told me they couldn't let me have it.
Apparently the state computer system is down and they can't do the background checks in the appropriate amount of time. The state told the gun shop not to release any guns until they could do the background checks.
According to the rules as I understand them, the state has 72 hours (for handguns) to complete a background check. If they do not do so, the purchase can be completed and the purchaser can take possession of the gun. The state is failing by refusing to allow the gun shop to complete the transaction after 72 hours because the state didn't do it's job.
I realize other states have longer waiting times, but I just want the state I live in to follow it's own rules and not impose a longer wait time due to it's own failure to do it's job.

I had the same problem, with one gun shop here - except the problem wasn't the state.

The gun shop owner refuses to release any firearm to anyone, after my state's 7-day waiting period has elapsed, until/unless he gets the returned paperwork/approval back from the state - claiming it's on the advice of his lawyer.

I'm outraged that one of our own is doing the anti's work for them.

Voting with my wallet, I no longer do ANY business there (and, he has a LOT of accessories/ammo/etc).

I'd rather pay more for whatever, elsewhere, than give him one more red cent.

I'm just fortunate that there's about 15 other gun shops within a 30-minute drive of me.

Deep Six
12-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Here in Illinois we have a FOID(firearm owners ID card) that we must pay for and pass a background check for before we can buy any ammunition or guns. If you move or have certain other life changes you must reapply and pay a fee even if the card has not expired( I moved 3 months ago). Even with this card, the state requires a background check for every gun purchase. You would think simply having the card would be of some benefit to you but apparently not except that to get the card it takes over 30 days on the average. You must display the card to buy any ammo or handle any firearm at a store.
Chicago's rules are more Draconian than the ones for the state, but this doesn't seem to stop the criminals from shooting people on a regular basis. The police blame Indiana for the criminals guns. I haven't seen any statistics which would prove or disprove this claim.
All firearm transfers require a background check. This includes transfers between private individuals, face to face, and between family members. A private person must maintain a record of who they sold a gun to for 10 years from date of sale for tracking purposes.
It would seem they have all the bases covered but it doesn't change anything as far as the crooks are concerned. It only makes it more difficult for honest people.
Apparently the state views all the residents as potential criminals. Even those with perfectly clean records.
All it takes in this state to lose your guns and privileges is for some one, any one, to accuse you of almost anything that might be violent or threatening. You don't have to be guilty and there doesn't need to be any evidence beyond the accusation. The police will come and take your guns.
The bad part is the new psychiatry/mental health rules they are putting in place. Any psychiatrist or therapist can send in a report and you automatically lose your guns.
I spoke to a therapist with an agenda a few months ago. He was all for the new rules. He stated that as far as he was concerned, simply owning a gun was evidence of unstable mentality. If you claim a need for self defense you are paranoid and delusional and he would gladly fill out the forms on anyone he knew who had guns in their household.
How does one go about stopping this kind of garbage? Especially in a state run by Democrats?
The only good part of this situation is that currently they can't stop you from getting guns but they are certainly trying.

Did you hear all that at a gun show? Half of it isn't true. Yes, IL ain't the friendliest state for gun owners but it's far from the worst either. Half the things you mention are nothing more than bills that get filed every year in the legislature by a few notorious legislators but never even get heard in committee, let alone brought up for a vote. I encourage you to go read the actual laws (FOID act is at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657 ). For excellent discussion of current issues and legislation from the NRA/ISRA people on the ground in Springfield, visit www.illinoiscarry.com. It does none of us any good to pretend things are worse than they are. Believe it or not, we've actually been winning the debate and votes in Springfield for the last few years.

As for the issue with have to wait 7 days for your gun, I haven't heard a peep about "the computer system is down" from anyone in the state. Seems that if the system was actually down, there would have been widespread complaining about it. Not saying they didn't make you wait, I just wonder if it was your shop being excessively careful. If the state actually sent a mass communication to dealers telling them not to release guns, it would have caused a state-wide (if not national) stir.

tazman
12-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Did you hear all that at a gun show? Half of it isn't true. Yes, IL ain't the friendliest state for gun owners but it's far from the worst either. Half the things you mention are nothing more than bills that get filed every year in the legislature by a few notorious legislators but never even get heard in committee, let alone brought up for a vote. I encourage you to go read the actual laws (FOID act is at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657 ). For excellent discussion of current issues and legislation from the NRA/ISRA people on the ground in Springfield, visit www.illinoiscarry.com (http://www.illinoiscarry.com). It does none of us any good to pretend things are worse than they are. Believe it or not, we've actually been winning the debate and votes in Springfield for the last few years.

As for the issue with have to wait 7 days for your gun, I haven't heard a peep about "the computer system is down" from anyone in the state. Seems that if the system was actually down, there would have been widespread complaining about it. Not saying they didn't make you wait, I just wonder if it was your shop being excessively careful. If the state actually sent a mass communication to dealers telling them not to release guns, it would have caused a state-wide (if not national) stir.

Please be specific about the parts that are incorrect. Some of these things I have experienced my self. Other have happened to friends of mine. If I can't get specifics from you, then I will need to disregard what you say.

Deep Six
12-29-2015, 11:34 PM
The part about mental health rules. That was a bill that got submitted last session that never went anywhere. It had us making calls to legislators, but it got voted down pretty authoritatively (in committee I believe) in the end. Also the part about background checks for family members. That part of the FOID act contains an exemption for familiy members.

tazman
12-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Ten years ago, a friend of mine was admitted to the hospital for overnight observation. He had been in a car wreck and had a concussion. The admitting doctor wrote mental instability on the admission papers as well as other things. A few days later the police came to his home and removed his guns due to the mental health admission to the hospital. My friend got a lawyer and fought it. He got his guns back but it took him nearly a year.

After my recent move(July), I had to file a change of address with the police for my FOID card. When the card arrived it was attached to a paper that stated ALL transfers including private sales must be cleared through background checks and it gave a number to do so. There was no mention of exemption for family members in it.

These experiences are what I am basing my statements on.

Deep Six
12-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Here's what's actually in the law regarding mental health:

From ILCS 430-65.1:
"Adjudicated as a mentally disabled person" means the person is the subject of a determination by a court, board, commission or other lawful authority that the person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, mental impairment, incompetency, condition, or disease"

What this says is that a court has to find you mentally disabled, not just a single rogue doctor. The bit about letting doctors make the decision themselves was in a bill that failed last spring. I'm not sure what happened to your friend, but it doesn't sound legal.

Deep Six
12-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Background check section from ILCS 430. Here are a couple key exemptions:

"(2) transfers as a bona fide gift to the
transferor's husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, or daughter-in-law"

(6) temporary transfers that occur while in the home of the unlicensed transferee, if the unlicensed transferee is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms and the unlicensed transferee reasonably believes that possession of the firearm is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to the unlicensed transferee;

(15) A person who is otherwise eligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card under this Act and is under the direct supervision of a holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card who is 21 years of age or older while the person is on a firing or shooting range or is a participant in a firearms safety and training course recognized by a law enforcement agency or a national, statewide shooting sports organization;

So there you have it. You can still give your 18 year old grandson a shotgun for Christmas. You can still let your buddy try your 1911 at the berm you've got on your 20 acre plot out in the sticks, even if he doesn't have a FOID card.

alamogunr
12-30-2015, 10:20 AM
I was born in Illinois almost 74 years ago. I thank my parents(RIP) for moving to Tennessee when I was about 1 year old. I spent about 4 years in other states and the last 48 right here. Not perfect but eons better than IL.

tazman
12-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Here's what's actually in the law regarding mental health:

From ILCS 430-65.1:
"Adjudicated as a mentally disabled person" means the person is the subject of a determination by a court, board, commission or other lawful authority that the person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, mental impairment, incompetency, condition, or disease"

What this says is that a court has to find you mentally disabled, not just a single rogue doctor. The bit about letting doctors make the decision themselves was in a bill that failed last spring. I'm not sure what happened to your friend, but it doesn't sound legal.Background check section from ILCS 430. Here are a couple key exemptions:

"(2) transfers as a bona fide gift to the
transferor's husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, or daughter-in-law"

(6) temporary transfers that occur while in the home of the unlicensed transferee, if the unlicensed transferee is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms and the unlicensed transferee reasonably believes that possession of the firearm is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to the unlicensed transferee;

(15) A person who is otherwise eligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card under this Act and is under the direct supervision of a holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card who is 21 years of age or older while the person is on a firing or shooting range or is a participant in a firearms safety and training course recognized by a law enforcement agency or a national, statewide shooting sports organization;

So there you have it. You can still give your 18 year old grandson a shotgun for Christmas. You can still let your buddy try your 1911 at the berm you've got on your 20 acre plot out in the sticks, even if he doesn't have a FOID card.

Thanks for the information. That is good to know. I agree that what happened to my friend was illegal and apparently so did a judge after all was said and done.
The unfortunate part is the law doesn't seem to stop bureaucrats from doing improper things just because they want to.

Deep Six
12-30-2015, 12:04 PM
That can certainly be the case sometimes.

I do want to encourage you to visit illinoiscarry, learn how the state legislature works when it comes to gun laws, and get involved. We've made a profound difference and really altered the course of gun laws in IL the last 5 years or so. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes when 10,000 people call their legislator about a bill. If you remember, IL passed shall issue CCW while other states out east were passing AWBs. That speaks volumes about the difference we're making in this state.

GabbyM
12-30-2015, 04:23 PM
tazman there is always a medical malpractice law suit your friend could file against the admitting doctor.

tazman
12-30-2015, 06:54 PM
It took place over 10 years ago. I doubt there is much that can be done about it at this point. However, I am not a lawyer and don't know all the rules for that kind of thing. My friend may even still be seeing the same doctor. If so, suing him/her would be counter productive.
I don't believe that is a suggestion I want to make at this point. He had a lawyer advising him so I hope that was covered at the time.

clum553946
12-30-2015, 09:13 PM
How sad that the state put the onus on the gunshop.

Walkingwolf
12-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Grats, but I don't understand why you need a BC, you had one when you got your FOID card. In other states if a check has been done, and the person has received a permit there is no BC at time of purchase. CHP holders in NC do not need a BC to buy a firearm, probably the same for most states.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Grats, but I don't understand why you need a BC, you had one when you got your FOID card. In other states if a check has been done, and the person has received a permit there is no BC at time of purchase. CHP holders in NC do not need a BC to buy a firearm, probably the same for most states.
you must live in a free state we still had to have a BGC and a 3 day cooling off time even if we have a Carry permit and carrying at the time of perches

Walkingwolf
12-30-2015, 09:54 PM
you must live in a free state we still had to have a BGC and a 3 day cooling off time even if we have a Carry permit and carrying at the time of perches

We are in better shape than Illinois, I really feel sorry you guys have such numbskulls in charge.

JeffG
12-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Nice Ruger Tazman. Makes me want to get out the Buckmark and 22A this weekend and bang away.