PDA

View Full Version : .308 Primer Question

Bonz
12-26-2015, 06:14 PM
I just started to reload .308, using 150gr j-words and trying Win 748 + Hodgdon Varget

My question is "primers". Is there significant difference in Large Rifle Benchrest/Match primers vs. Large Rifle primes ?

The longest distance that I can shoot my FN SCAR 17s is 200 yards.

jcren
12-26-2015, 06:21 PM
In my 3006, my most accurate loads, I see a significant reduction in flyers. The core of The group is fairly unchanged however.

Outpost75
12-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Unless the rifle and ammunition are capable of sub 3-inch TEN- shot groups at 200 yards, primers are not going to provide any meaningful difference.

duckey
12-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Have used CCI 200's and Remington 9 1/2 (large rifle) in my ott 6 with RL-15 with great results at 100 yards

Larry Gibson
12-26-2015, 07:17 PM
As hinted at you'll not see any difference in accuracy with that rifle. What you want is a known performer with ball powders and gas guns. I suggest the CCI #34 or the Winchester WLR.

Larry Gibson

vzerone
12-26-2015, 07:29 PM
I too agree with that you're not going to notice a difference in changing primers. You may in the ES and SD, but little. I also agree with using a hard primer for a semi-auto rifle especially M1A's, Garands, and AR's. Does your SCAR leave a little indentation on the primer of a chambered round that you didn't fire and extracted?

Bonz
12-26-2015, 08:55 PM
I too agree with that you're not going to notice a difference in changing primers. You may in the ES and SD, but little. I also agree with using a hard primer for a semi-auto rifle especially M1A's, Garands, and AR's. Does your SCAR leave a little indentation on the primer of a chambered round that you didn't fire and extracted?

I'll try it tonight and see

Ford SD
12-26-2015, 10:36 PM
As hinted at you'll not see any difference in accuracy with that rifle. What you want is a known performer with ball powders and gas guns. I suggest the CCI #34 or the Winchester WLR.

Larry Gibson

This is a first I am going to disagree with Larry

Agree but disagree Win Primers the newer "GOLD" LR --- I am not buying any more till things improve

Older Silver primers in the white box = Load them Up

In the last several lots of Gold WLR Primers have been undersize (My experience) and have been using Nail polish on them on lighter loads

Have read some reloaders have been having problems with the gold ones

I started reloading 308 I used WLR and W748 (all i could get to use in my M14)

tygar
12-27-2015, 12:16 AM
I don't know a thing about that rifle, but in any decent bolt rifle I have (actually all, I don't keep guns that don't shoot), F210Ms work better than regular primers or anything else. I use CCI match in ARs for accuracy shooting, regular CCI SR/LR in spray & pray play. Use Rem SR match in .223 bolts. I don't like Win primers.

My results, in my guns, in my experience, others may vary, but I don't think there is a better primer than F210Ms & if it wasn't for possible firing pin slam on ARs, I would use them for them. I do use them for single loaded 80gr for slo fire.

Bonz
12-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Does your SCAR leave a little indentation on the primer of a chambered round that you didn't fire and extracted?

Yes it does

Bonz
12-27-2015, 01:51 PM
All of your feedback is greatly appreciated ! I already use the CCI 41 in my .223 reloads due to "slamfire" possibilities with my AR so I might as well buy the CCI 34 for my FN SCAR .308. Just hate adding another primer type to the inventory. I already use Large Rifle and Large Magnum Rifle for reloading S&W 500 magnum and was just hoping to use those.

petroid
12-27-2015, 01:58 PM
All of your feedback is greatly appreciated ! I already use the CCI 41 in my .223 reloads due to "slamfire" possibilities with my AR so I might as well buy the CCI 34 for my .308. Just hate adding another primer type to the inventory. I already use Large Rifle and Large Magnum Rifle for reloading S&W 500 magnum and was just hoping to use those.

Convenience is just that...convenient. For safety's sake, I only use CCI 41s in AR15. If I had an autoloading large rifle, I would use hard primers in that. If the firing pin is not floating, the story may be different.

Thundermaker
12-27-2015, 01:58 PM
I've never seen an appreciable difference. All the high power guys shoot standard CCI large or large magnum rifle primers. Some of them believe that the magnum primers give more consistent ignition. I haven't seen any definitive test to confirm it, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Hick
12-27-2015, 07:50 PM
I have tried both CCI and Win primers. WLR Standard and WLR Magnum work best for me. Loading for both my 30-30 and M1 Garand I've had a couple of CCI primers fail to fire, but never a failure with Win primers (and no slam-fires either) in several thousand rounds. Usually, I use the magnum primers with Win 748, as suggested in the Speer manual, but I've also used standard Win primers with ball powders with no failures.

Tom W.
12-27-2015, 08:59 PM
I've noticed a difference using Federal GM Match primers as compared to standard primers. No, it's not just my imagination. The groups tightened up considerably. But these were with my Savage model 12, and both my Ruger #1B's. The 30/30 was not involved, as most shots with that were fairly close.

turtlezx
12-27-2015, 09:27 PM
the f210m are what is used by federal in there match grade ammo @30$ per box

MarkP
12-27-2015, 09:48 PM
This is a first I am going to disagree with Larry

Agree but disagree Win Primers the newer "GOLD" LR --- I am not buying any more till things improve

Older Silver primers in the white box = Load them Up

In the last several lots of Gold WLR Primers have been undersize (My experience) and have been using Nail polish on them on lighter loads

Have read some reloaders have been having problems with the gold ones

I started reloading 308 I used WLR and W748 (all i could get to use in my M14)

I have had quite a few of the gold WLR primers leak gas at the radius with mild loads; looking at them at 10 & 50x looks like small chunks fractured at the tangent of the radius.
Did not damage my rifles but I am worried about loading these for my daughter's 243. We always wear glasses when shooting but not always while hunting.

Gunnut 45/454
12-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Went through 1000 CCI BR primers when I first got into AR's then went to CCI 400 never saw a lick of difference in accuracy. And no you'll not need to worry about slam fires either !! That's a myth that has been busted for a very long time! Now if you don't clean your firearm nor inspect the firing pin for damage at least occasionally. Then yea you might have a greater chance in having the mythical slam fire!:bigsmyl2:

tygar
12-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Went through 1000 CCI BR primers when I first got into AR's then went to CCI 400 never saw a lick of difference in accuracy. And no you'll not need to worry about slam fires either !! That's a myth that has been busted for a very long time! Now if you don't clean your firearm nor inspect the firing pin for damage at least occasionally. Then yea you might have a greater chance in having the mythical slam fire!:bigsmyl2:

Sorry, but that is absolutely incorrect!

I know of several, including to ME! I blew up a match M14 when bolt slipped out of my fingers single loading a round. Blew the bolt roller, piece of the front edge, completely split the receiver bridge & got me in the hand & face.

Do NOT use soft primers in any rifle with a floating firing pin. I have seen several ARs that had slam fires over the years & it is not a myth.