PDA

View Full Version : T/C contender forend help

cheese1566
12-26-2015, 04:59 PM
I bought this forend and it came with this estuchian. I added the screw...doesn't seem right and be flush.

Something wrong or is that just the way it is?

wcp4570
12-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Looks normal for the older taper barrel wood. Mine looks exactly like yours.

wcp156460

fryboy
12-26-2015, 08:54 PM
You can carefully take the hole deeper ,may have to remove a thread from the screw,I have 3 such fore ends only one sits flush,the other two are just a bit proud

kenyerian
12-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Be very careful taking the hole deeper without using a shorter screw. It is very easy to make the dovetail lock loose with a screw that is too long. A screw that is too long will pull the dovetail lock right off of the barrel when you tighten it up. I would try a shorter screw first. Check and see if the screw is digging into the barrel. If it is you need to shorten it.

cheese1566
12-27-2015, 12:45 AM
Is it a regular Allen screw?

That's what I bought at the Hdwe store. It has a square shoulder.

Screw is short enough, maybe too short as it gets only a couple threads. The next one is too long and bottoms out. I may shorten the long one down.

Guess I'll keep it the way it is. It's now stripped down for a refinish.

fryboy
12-27-2015, 01:00 AM
they were originally flat bottomed straight slotted small domed head screws , the head isnt as important as the threads [insert appropriate smiley here] if your hex head fits flush with the escutcheon AND your screw is as short as you suggest use a drill bit by hand to set the escutcheon flush or just below as when refinishing you'll loose just a lil wood , you'll gain perhaps a thread and lose making the snag taller, most of the tapered fore ends i have seen have this problem , nature of the beast so to speak when the fore end is angled and the screw isnt , one side will either be high or low ( lower )[shrugz]

tctender
12-28-2015, 11:33 PM
I have one and it also sits a tad high on one side.