PDA

View Full Version : rem 870 Remington 870 extended tube help

LUCKYDAWG13
12-26-2015, 03:07 PM
how do i get the dimples out of the tube of my 870 so my extended tube will feed the extra rounds

Dutchninja
12-26-2015, 03:25 PM
I've done this twice, you can drill them out with a bit just a bit bigger than the dimples. Also be careful with the amount of pressure you put on that tube so as not to deform the tube. After your done take a small file to take care of the edges to allow the follower and spring to push the rounds down the tube. I've seen people use a tube / socket to push them out, but drilling has worked fine for me. you just have to remember that there is nothing holding the follower in when you disassemble it otherwise you get the can of snakes action going.

William Yanda
12-26-2015, 03:26 PM
I have considered extending the tubes of shotguns for greater capacity but overlooked this as a potential problem. Probably could drill them out but what would one do with the ugly holes. Could they be ground out from the inside with abrasive fabric on a dowel? That would leave the outside undamaged. Could a rod just under inside diameter be beveled and used to reduce if not eliminate the dimples. I have heard that dented musical instruments made of brass-trumpets, etc could be restored to function by the use of a series of metal balls of increasing diameter. Interesting question.

Dutchninja
12-26-2015, 03:31 PM
This,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3fYuKpLB_g

LUCKYDAWG13
12-26-2015, 07:56 PM
I just drilled them out i used a 1/4 drill bit it was no big deal thank you

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2015, 08:10 PM
As others have stated, drilling them out is the simple solution. After drilling, file the inside of the tube to remove all of the burrs. They can be pressed out as well but drilling is easier.

azrednek
12-26-2015, 08:32 PM
For what its worth, took mine to a gunsmith. Think I paid 25 bucks and all he did was drill them out.

Boolit_Head
12-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Why did Remington screw with a perfectly good design is what I want to know. Worked great for many years.

pietro
12-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Why did Remington screw with a perfectly good design is what I want to know. Worked great for many years.

Dimpling the tube is less expensive than making/installing a spring-loaded magazine keeper into the end of the magazine tube - even pennies can be a factor, in large production runs like Remington makes.

Artful
12-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Dimpling the tube is less expensive than making/installing a spring-loaded magazine keeper into the end of the magazine tube - even pennies can be a factor, in large production runs like Remington makes.

But the funny part is that the "Police" version doesn't have the Dimples... Hmmm

Ford SD
12-26-2015, 10:22 PM
how do i get the dimples out of the tube of my 870 so my extended tube will feed the extra rounds

I took mine to the Garage and Found a 1/2 x ?? Deep socket and used the socket on the inside and just hamered them back in place
Forget what i used Rubber mallet / hammer ?? block of wood and hammer ???

No problem with my extension

Ps its been a few years

Petrol & Powder
12-27-2015, 12:26 AM
But the funny part is that the "Police" version doesn't have the Dimples... Hmmm

Right, it's a conspiracy that the "civilian" models have dimples because no one would ever drill them out.........

I don't think the dimples are there to prevent the installation of a magazine extension but if you really want to believe there is some type of Remington/Big Brother collusion - have at it. [smilie=s:

azrednek
12-27-2015, 12:57 AM
Right, it's a conspiracy that the "civilian" models have dimples because no one would ever drill them out.........

I don't think the dimples are there to prevent the installation of a magazine extension but if you really want to believe there is some type of Remington/Big Brother collusion - have at it. [smilie=s:

Was that really necessary??

r6487
12-27-2015, 09:12 PM
yes it was necessary--the dimples started with the Clinton AWB and Remington has kept the dimples ever since--maybe they want to be politically correct for Uncle Sam--could have dropped the dimples after AWB

EMC45
12-28-2015, 01:11 PM
I too have conquered this issue. I used a 1/4 bit IIRC and after drilling I de-burred, then slid a socket that was a close fit down the mag tube using it as a backer and tapped around the holes to alleviate any type of warping or puckering that may have been leftover from the drilling. Worked perfect.

Mk42gunner
12-28-2015, 02:05 PM
I don't have any with the dimples, but I like the idea of swaging/ expanding the metal instead of drilling holes that let water dirt and debris in the magazine tube.

Robert

LUCKYDAWG13
12-28-2015, 03:24 PM
I don't have any with the dimples, but I like the idea of swaging/ expanding the metal instead of drilling holes that let water dirt and debris in the magazine tube.

Robert

the holes are covered when yo put the barrel on by the barrel lug ring " ring that goes over the magazine tube " to hold the barre on

Mk42gunner
12-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Okay, I did not know that. Drilling sounds like a viable plan then.

Robert