PDA

View Full Version : New to Me Martini 22 K-Hornet

saleen322
12-26-2015, 12:27 AM
I happened into a Martini rebarreled in 22 K-Hornet. I have been playing with a cast load but only getting so-so results. Any particular powder or load anyone had luck with?

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/Center%20Fire%20Rifles/Martini%20K%20Hornet%202A_zpsq3oileh5.jpg

Tatume
12-26-2015, 08:37 AM
Gorgeous gun. I've had good results with IMR4198.

enfield
12-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Is it a new barrel, or original 22 that was rechambered ? if so the twist wont allow much more than 45gr boolit. I have one in 22 Mashburn, I mostly have just used 2400 powder so far. Looks like a takedown model, and the scope rings sure look close together :)

richhodg66
12-26-2015, 09:19 AM
Wow! I would absolutely love to have a rifle like that!

My reloading with .22 Hornet has been light loads to duplicate .22 LR ballistics. I really like the NOE 45 grain WFN (I ordered all plain based) for that purpose.

The Lee Bator molds is good too. Gas checked and it front of 5.5 grains of 2400, it's a good shooter in my rifles too.

Preacher Jim
12-26-2015, 09:21 AM
I have changed my Ķ-hornet to AA1680 great results check your bore some used .223 and some .224 bore also your twist . Great rifle you will have much fun with that.

fryboy
12-26-2015, 09:30 AM
different rifle but for plinking and fire forming i have been using the bator but mostly the 225-415 with just under 5 grs. unique , it shoots better than i do offhand and turns in 1/2" or so off the bags , j-words are a different story indeed aa1680 and lil gun flat rock in that application

saleen322
12-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Gorgeous gun. I've had good results with IMR4198.

Thank you. I will try that

saleen322
12-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Is it a new barrel, or original 22 that was rechambered ? if so the twist wont allow much more than 45gr boolit. I have one in 22 Mashburn, I mostly have just used 2400 powder so far. Looks like a takedown model, and the scope rings sure look close together :)

I think it is a different barrel as there are no factory markings on it. Not sure though as I bought it as part of a package deal with a Stevens 44. The scope mount is kind of an odd thing I believe for like a red dot or something so the rings can only be placed that way. The mount and scope were on it and seem to work well so I did not change them. Thanks for replying

saleen322
12-26-2015, 10:03 AM
different rifle but for plinking and fire forming i have been using the bator but mostly the 225-415 with just under 5 grs. unique , it shoots better than i do offhand and turns in 1/2" or so off the bags , j-words are a different story indeed aa1680 and lil gun flat rock in that application

I was shooting about 3.7 grains of 700X to fire-form with as it takes up most of the case space. That stuff is so bulky only 8 oz fits in a 1 lb can. The fire-form load shoots pretty good but I can't seem to get any better with the formed cases. I also have a 375 SM and 680 was the hot powder for them. I understand 1680 sort of replicates the old 680 so now I have two reasons to try it. Thank you!

fryboy
12-26-2015, 10:34 AM
1680,h110/ww296 and lil gun are all great in this caliber, barrels are kind of like women, no two may like the same thing/combo ,sometimes regular small rifle primers do best ( nods to r-p 6 1/2's ) sometimes small pistol works better,our variables of course are our own,my fireform load for example was found with minimal effort and for casual plinking ( in formed or unformed cases ) is simply sheer enjoyment, it maybe could be tweaked to improve but ...it assuredly isn't broke ;)
I too like 700x ,more so in my 38 wadcutter loads where it really stands out.
Many report that their rifle prefers x brand of brass,sadly in these trying times avaibility lacks,win brass gets alot of nods from my various readings as well as personal use ,speaking just for me ...with new or annealed used brass I neck up to 6 mm and then back down to the shoulder neck junction,this has helped eliminate split necks/overtly stretched cases but of course YMMV,happy shooting amigo ( and you're welcome ! )

daniel lawecki
12-26-2015, 10:37 AM
This is a little of base And maybe I shouldn't post this. Please forgive for I have sinned. My Contender is the only gun that shoots J bullets in only. The loads here work in my gun 45 grain Hornady bullet #2230 or Hornady bullet #2245 50 grain soft point. With fantastic groups at 100 yards with H110 and IMR 4227 at 10.3 here's the weird part standard pistol primers from CCI. the gun has a Leupold 2.5 x 8 scope 14'' barrel off a sandbag at 100 yards this gun groups under 3/4'' always when I do my part 3 shots center to center .340'' of a inch four shot opened the group to .380''. Your light loads for fire forming from Hornet to K Hornet should work fine. I would like to here about your groups and loads as I don't cast any .224 boolits. But would give it a try if I run across some just to ring out a really good load. Sorry for the long post.

gewehrfreund
12-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Nice little Martini.
You might try a different (good quality) scope with longer eye relief that allows a more traditional ring distribution. I think would also help in the accuracy department.

saleen322
12-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Nice little Martini.
You might try a different (good quality) scope with longer eye relief that allows a more traditional ring distribution. I think would also help in the accuracy department.

I don't think it is the scope as I am under 1" @ 100 yards with Sierra 40 gn Blitz bullets.

Rustyleee
12-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Sweet looking little shooter!

enfield
12-26-2015, 07:58 PM
I forgot to say, It's a beautiful little rifle ( nice stock ) I'm kind of addicted to those little martini's, I think if it had the original BSA rear sight with variable apertures you would chuck the scope & mount. I will use peep sights as long as I and my eyes can stand it.

gewehrfreund
12-26-2015, 09:08 PM
I don't think it is the scope as I am under 1" @ 100 yards with Sierra 40 gn Blitz bullets.

In that case, I wouldn't complain at all! ;-)

saleen322
12-26-2015, 11:34 PM
I forgot to say, It's a beautiful little rifle ( nice stock ) I'm kind of addicted to those little martini's, I think if it had the original BSA rear sight with variable apertures you would chuck the scope & mount. I will use peep sights as long as I and my eyes can stand it.

I actually have a set or 2 of Parker-Hale sights around. I too like the aperture sights. The problem with this rifle is that the barrel was never set up for a front sight.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-27-2015, 08:17 AM
It is a very nice rifle, but it could easily be the original barrel. A British barrel would indeed have proofmarks, but they could have been removed in refinishing or turning down. Clearly not much metal has been removed in front of the action, but depending on the model it could be that it has been given more taper. It can be done by driving dowels into the bore and allowing it to spin in your hands against a grinding belt.

The significance of this is that the barrel could be plain carbon steel, and have suffered erosion. It even used to happen with the rimfires eventually, with the volume of use a club target rifle got. If the throat is enlarged, cast bullets will be expanded and then swaged down again. There is a possibility that it could develop some irregularity. Recovering some bullets may give some useful information, and gas-checked bullets could work better than plain base.

Bad Ass Wallace
12-28-2015, 06:48 PM
I actually have a set or 2 of Parker-Hale sights around. I too like the aperture sights. The problem with this rifle is that the barrel was never set up for a front sight.
My sporter has a BSA No.8 tang sight fitted. Chambered for the 25/35 Winchester it is a very powerful package in a 6lb rifle!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/23-35_edited-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/23-35_edited-1.jpg.html)

richhodg66
12-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Why can't I find a rifle like these? That thing is awsome!

enfield
12-28-2015, 09:58 PM
BAW, the cheek piece is on the wrong side, is that an Australian thing ( like the toilets flushing the other direction, driving on the other side of the road etc. ) :)

Bad Ass Wallace
12-29-2015, 05:50 AM
BAW, the cheek piece is on the wrong side, is that an Australian thing ( like the toilets flushing the other direction, driving on the other side of the road etc. ) :)
It's like that to provide a steady rest when shooting around down-under corners!:takinWiz:

Ballistics in Scotland
12-29-2015, 06:05 AM
I once made a point of observing the same airline washbasin draining as we left Bombay, on the equator as near as I could judge, and on the approach to Mauritius. The little whirlpool was always in the same direction. Wish I could remember which direction that was, though.

Tatume
12-29-2015, 08:16 AM
The radius of a washbasin or toilet is too small for the coriolis effect to be significant. The claim that the swirl of draining water is in opposite directions on either side of the equator is not true.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-29-2015, 05:09 PM
You can find plenty of original Cadets, and occasional converted ones, on this website:

http://www.australianarmsauctions.com/index.html

I've got them out of Australia and into the UK with no trouble, as well as post-1918 antiques, including cartridge revolvers. But into the USA, I don't know about. I have heard that the BATF know .297/.230 Francotte Cadet rifles are pre-1898 but British .310 versions are all twentieth century, which might make a difference.