PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Cast single stage press

stubbicatt
12-25-2015, 07:17 AM
Guys. I'm searching for a replacement single stage press. I had thought to buy a Rock Chucker, but the spent primer system on the Lee seems a better arrangement.

I had read a review on MidwayUSA site that suggests that the pivot pin on the bottom of the ram is a split pin to accommodate the spent primers passing through the hollow ram, and that those split pins will work loose in time. Seems like something I would do well to avoid.

I do case forming *very* rarely, running Starline 38-55 brass through a 32-40 die. After this initial forming I would not use the press for any work any more demanding than FL sizing military 7.62 Nato brass for use in bottom feeders.

You reckon this press is up to the task? Anybody have the pins break or become wobbly in the bottom of the ram?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stubb

ETA I just looked at Lee's website and they offer a breach lock classic cast press. This press differs from the classic cast single stage press in two ways: one is the use of an adaptor for easy replacement of dies in the top of the press, the other is the addition of a spent primer catcher to the side of the ram, and the customary funnel and tube to the trash can arrangement. So rather than running spent primers down and out the bottom of a hollow ram, the bottom of the ram is solid. This implies a one piece bottom pin, don't you think?

Thanks.

sghart3578
12-25-2015, 07:36 AM
I love mine. I have the one with the standard die threads, not the breech lock.

My work load sounds similar to yours. I full length size, de-prime and prime on the press for 7X57, 30-30, 30-06 and a couple of others. I also use it to neck size.

I have not had any problems with things coming loose. I like the spent primer collection system. I would suggest that you keep a priming arm on the ram under the shell holder when de-priming. It helps direct the spent primer down into the tube.

Best of luck.

dkf
12-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Mine Classic Cast has been good thus far. I do like the spent primer setup that goes through the ram and collects in a tube. I use mine mainly for bullet sizing and depriming. I did not buy the version with the breech lock bushings because I size a lot of bullets with the press.

opos
12-25-2015, 08:50 AM
I have a classic cast breechlock press for my rifle cartridge loading...I have a classic cast 4 hole Lee Turret for handgun ammo.....it all works well for me...the breech lock classic cast has never given me a minute of problems...it will handle any job I give it and it makes great ammo...the Turret is perfect as I leave the turret plates set up and can be up and running in a very short time..."go big Red".

rancher1913
12-25-2015, 10:39 AM
the rcbs spent primer system is not that bad once you do a few tweeks to it, and you can't beat their customer service( just got free parts for a die that broke due to my screw up). never owned a lee but have seen several "leementing" threads, does that count ;)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-25-2015, 11:43 AM
I like RCBS a lot, own one of their Pro 2000 auto advance progressives and I did own a Rock Chucker press (USA made original) at one time. Then I picked up one of the Lee Classic Cast single stages when they first came out. Mounted it on my bench beside the Rock Chucker for a comparison, as the RC is a press by which other presses are judged. Three months later (possibly less, been a few years now), I sold my Rock Chucker and kept the Lee.

The Lee was a better design in every single thing that mattered was the bottom line.

troyboy
12-25-2015, 12:14 PM
The Lee classic cast single stage is an excellent tool. As good as any and much better then some.

Faret
12-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Been loding 50 bmg on mine for years! As strong as my rock crusher. Better spent primer collection and repriming system too.

r1kk1
12-25-2015, 12:35 PM
The spent primer arrangement on the breechlock and non-breechlock is very different. The breechlock version spent primer is very similar to the Challenger. The standard Classic Cast (CC) uses the 'spent primer through the ram concept'. The standard CC can also use Hornady's LNL system for quick die change. Reddings, RCBS RockChucker, Summit, can utilize this system. I have one installed in an Redding Ultramag and Summit.

I don't care for the RCBS RockChucker, even though my father-in-law owns one. For that matter, I'm not a fan of Lee, Lyman, and the current Hornady. I will hold out for the new Hornady Iron press and put it through it paces. If I like it, it will stay.

The CC has a good following from those who own it. Too bad it was late to the game and NOT the only press with through the ram disposal. I believe it should have come out a couple of decades earlier. I remember the original price of the press at midway around 59.00. I went to a LGS and tried it out. At that time, the LGS and I went through five different boxes and all the presses did not have real good fit and finish. He sent them back.

If I were you, I would order the non-breechlock version and use the LNL system from Hornady. I think the Lee is a better press than the Lyman and current LNL Hornady. Close to that price range, Redding has a Boss press and that is it in the approximate price range. The Boss II press is not. My single stage presses are not in the same price range.

Have fun with your new press!

take care,

r1kk1

David2011
12-25-2015, 12:50 PM
If I were you, I would order the non-breechlock version and use the LNL system from Hornady. I think the Lee is a better press than the Lyman and current LNL Hornady. Close to that price range, Redding has a Boss press and that is it in the approximate price range. The Boss II press is not. My single stage presses are not in the same price range.

Have fun with your new press!

take care,

r1kk1

We're on a roll- second time I've quoted and agreed with you today. I use the Hornady LNL system on my RCBS presses and absolutely love it. I don't believe there is any deterioration in precision since the dies are held firmly in place with metal to metal contact under compression.

David

mold maker
12-25-2015, 12:58 PM
My CC has been swaging boolits from cast and spent cases for several years, with no problems.

mac60
12-25-2015, 12:59 PM
stubbicatt - I have pulled the handle on mine 10's of thousands of times and it's as good now as the day I bought it. There is absolutely no doubt that the press is up to the task. It's not machined out of Swedish tool steel with a 10,000 micron finish and assembled at MIT, but it's a damned fine reloading press and will do almost anything you ask of it.

Motard
12-25-2015, 01:54 PM
I have two CC side by side on my bench. The old style threaded one and the breech lock. Choosing one or the other is only a matter of preference. The BL give you some seconds as present while swapping dies. But also ask you to buy more BL inserts. The old stile threaded one has the spent primer in ram, as told, and the last portion of the ram can be unthreaded for special purpose. Both are rock solid and never had a problem with. And also if you are not a Lee's fan (as many) you may considere there are a lot of functional items that can be add (like priming tool, universal decapping and flaring dies, hardness lead tester....trimming dies ) that can be added with a fraction of cost of others named brands. I really like both this presses and if forced to part with one this would be the BL. But a CC will always be on my bench http://www.handloadersbench.com/attachment.php?id=9922

stubbicatt
12-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Hm. I read my original post and it didn't really ask the question I have in mind clearly enough. Let me ask the question again from a different approach. I appreciate all the input, but my concern is narrowly focused right now. The breach lock version of the classic cast single stage press, if you have one, can you look at the bottom of the ram where there is a pin of sorts that joins it up to the linkage and tell me if you see a single solid axle or axis pin through the bottom of the ram? - Oh, also, does the spent primer disposal system work 100%?

Thanks fellas.

PS. I doubt I would use the breach lock bushings/adaptors, as that sort of thing doesn't really matter to me. But the integrity of the design and construction of the linkage does matter to me. As does a 100% success rate in disposing of spent primers.

r1kk1
12-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Hm. I read my original post and it didn't really ask the question I have in mind clearly enough. Let me ask the question again from a different approach. I appreciate all the input, but my concern is narrowly focused right now. The breach lock version of the classic cast single stage press, if you have one, can you look at the bottom of the ram where there is a pin of sorts that joins it up to the linkage and tell me if you see a single solid axle or axis pin through the bottom of the ram? - Oh, also, does the spent primer disposal system work 100%?

Thanks fellas.

PS. I doubt I would use the breach lock bushings/adaptors, as that sort of thing doesn't really matter to me. But the integrity of the design and construction of the linkage does matter to me. As does a 100% success rate in disposing of spent primers.

Go back and reread 1st paragraph of post #9. I would go with the non breechlock version as it has primer through the ram disposal.

take care

r1kk1

Le Loup Solitaire
12-25-2015, 10:40 PM
I have two Lee CC's for several years now and have used them primarily for full length sizing. Some of my cartridges include the 405 WCF, the 348WCF and the 45-70. Mechanical advantage is good and sizing is done easily. Nothing has ever loosened up..the pins are all slop free and the primer collection system has never missed once. I keep the press clean and well lubed. I like the features that allow using it left-handed and/or shortening the handle length or changing its angle/travel. They have worked out well for me and i am happy with them. LLS

wingspar
12-26-2015, 12:08 AM
ETA I just looked at Lee's website and they offer a breach lock classic cast press. This press differs from the classic cast single stage press in two ways: one is the use of an adaptor for easy replacement of dies in the top of the press, the other is the addition of a spent primer catcher to the side of the ram, and the customary funnel and tube to the trash can arrangement. So rather than running spent primers down and out the bottom of a hollow ram, the bottom of the ram is solid. This implies a one piece bottom pin, don't you think?

Thanks.

I have the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast Press. It’s my first and only press, so I have nothing to compare it to, but the primer catching system is great. That tube will hold hundreds of spent primers and when you’re ready to empty it, just sit a trash can underneath it, remove cap and all primers fall into the trash basket.

I bought some Hornady Sure-Loc Die Lock Rings to use on my dies, but unfortunately, you can not use them on this press. I have found that because of the large o-ring in the locking nut of the Lee dies that once you get them set, all you have to do is to avoid touching the locking nut when you remove the die and when you screw the die in again and it will go right back to where you had it set. That is how I use it. I did not feel like messing with the expensive Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings. I’m happy with the press.

wingspar
12-26-2015, 12:13 AM
The breach lock version of the classic cast single stage press, if you have one, can you look at the bottom of the ram where there is a pin of sorts that joins it up to the linkage and tell me if you see a single solid axle or axis pin through the bottom of the ram? - Oh, also, does the spent primer disposal system work 100%?

The bottom of the ram is solid, so you can’t look up inside the ram, but the pin that goes thru the ram looks to be about ½ inch in diameter. It is stout.

Primer system works very well.

VHoward
12-26-2015, 12:27 AM

Thanks fellas.

With the breechlock version, you have no choice but to use the breechlock bushings. You will need one for every die you want to use on the press unless you leave the breechlock bushing in the press and use it like the non-breechlock version. If you do that, then you might as well as buy the non-breechlock version and have a better press. The primer deisposal on the breechlock version is crappy and will leave spent primers all over your floor. That was my experience with it. I got the non-breechlock version and have not had that problem. Primers that go down the hollow ram make it into the spent primer tube 100%. Primers that come flying out the side of the ram don't always go where they are supposed to.

wingspar
12-26-2015, 12:34 AM
Primers that come flying out the side of the ram don't always go where they are supposed to.

I've never had that problem. Not once.

shoot-n-lead
12-26-2015, 04:41 AM
I LOVE my Classic Cast...matter of fact, I sold my Rock Chucker after giving the Classic Cast a try...

stubbicatt
12-26-2015, 05:42 AM
Thanks fellas. Really. Thanks for taking the time from your busy days to answer my question. I have a CC turret press and I like the spent primer thru the ram arrangement, but I've busted those little turrets in the resizing of 308 .mil brass, hence my search for a stronger press. Since the overall strength is my concern, that review at Midway USA where the fella had issues with the split pin at the bottom of the ram in the non breach lock version got my attention. I am leaning towards the breach lock press. Heck, even if I do buy those little bushings, I only need a few, but my inclination is to use the press in the conventional way, just threading the dies in and out as needed.

Motard
12-26-2015, 06:10 AM
the split pin at the base of the ram on my CC old stile is about 13,5 mm:very large. It shows no sign of wearing after having sized tons of 308-6,5 and 45-70 brass. The one in the BL press is just a tad smaller in diameter but equally stout to my eyes. To avoid primers spilling on both press you MUST let the primer arm in place. Or just make Yourself a similar brace base carved from wood or plastic and fit it instead of primer. Then both press wohn't let any primer on floor. It never happens to me after having catch this simple concept.
Ps apart the splitting features of the threaded CC both presses are bult like tanks to my eyes. And if you are in hurry swapping Dies on a BL is a pleasure as well as finding them perfectly seated. I have the only complain that Lees could make the CC BL and this Handpportable BL Press with exactly the same seating so one could adjust rounds on the fly at the range. I have read that this is anyway possible with some shimming. But not tried yet.
You can also considere that You can easily buy two Lee CC at the cost of one of other manufactures. And alway have a spare press. The BL comes with a threaded insert that let You use without BL bushing with any ckind of dies

dkf
12-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks fellas. Really. Thanks for taking the time from your busy days to answer my question. I have a CC turret press and I like the spent primer thru the ram arrangement, but I've busted those little turrets in the resizing of 308 .mil brass, hence my search for a stronger press. Since the overall strength is my concern, that review at Midway USA where the fella had issues with the split pin at the bottom of the ram in the non breach lock version got my attention. I am leaning towards the breach lock press. Heck, even if I do buy those little bushings, I only need a few, but my inclination is to use the press in the conventional way, just threading the dies in and out as needed.

I have the Cast Turret press too, never broke anything on it though even sizing down .434" 24bhn .44 bullets down to .430. I did get the Classic Cast to take over the bullet sizing because it is more robust than the LCT.

I read the same review you did about the guy breaking off the ram pins. He most likely got a press with improperly sintered parts or else he was using the press for something it should not be used for. If you break something Lee will will warranty it (they are good at replacing any parts that break) plus the linkage parts are not that expensive if you have to buy them. It is unlikely you'll break a classic cast. Like said before in this thread you can switch the classic cast over to LNL bushings if need be in the future.

flashhole
12-26-2015, 01:05 PM
I always viewed the bushings as a solution to a non-existent problem. It's not that big a deal to screw a die into a press. The regular Classic Cast is a fantastic press and still the best value on the market.

VHoward
12-26-2015, 01:13 PM
I always viewed the bushings as a solution to a non-existent problem. It's not that big a deal to screw a die into a press. The regular Classic Cast is a fantastic press and still the best value on the market.
People don't realize that you can get die lockrings with set screws in them so you can lock them in place. Then the "setting" is not lost when you swap out dies.

Three different examples.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165236200/hornady-sure-loc-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1100282628/forster-cross-bolt-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1458163904/rcbs-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread

Lyman makes one like the Forster.
Plus the non breechlock version of the Classic Cast has an insert that can be removed so the press can be used with 1 1/2 x 12 threaded dies. The breechlock version can not.

stubbicatt
12-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks VHoward. The dies I will be using in this press are either RCBS, Whidden, or Hornady, which come with real, honest-to-gosh, lock rings. :)

Anybody want a used RCBS Summit press?

flashhole
12-26-2015, 02:30 PM
If you are giving it away I know a young man who is getting into reloading and would be thrilled to have it.

David2011
12-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Stubbicat,

I've read your postings about not needing a breech lock system. I loaded for 30 years without it and did just fine. Now I have the Hornady LNL system on both of my presses that will accommodate it. My main single stage presses are a Rock Chucker and a Summit. If I make a mistake such as seating a rifle bullet too deep it's just a quick 1/6 turn to remove the seating die, stab the collet puller in, pull the bullet, another quick change back to the seating die and keep on moving. It all happens in about the same amount of time it takes to remove a long body threaded die. I wouldn't want to go back to screwing every die in and out. With rarely used dies I can still put the bushing back in place and screw dies in place.

Alternatively, if the Lee female breech lock socket it removable perhaps an RCBS 1-1/4 to 7/8 bushing could be used in the Lee press if you want threads, bypassing the need to use a bushing setup altogether. I did a little searching and was unable to determine if the socket was removable and if so the diameter and pitch of the threads.

David

David2011
12-26-2015, 02:43 PM

I can see your point if you rarely change dies. I have found them a very nice enhancement of my presses and dies with about a dozen calibers plus universal decapping and collet puller dies so equipped.

David

flashhole
12-26-2015, 03:21 PM
So why not go to something like the Lee Classic Turret? If you load that many different cartridges it only makes sense to go to something really quick change where all the dies are set up in a turret and it only takes seconds to change out a whole turret. The individual bushings don't make sense to me.

VHoward
12-26-2015, 03:52 PM
The socket for the breechlock system is not removeable. It is cast/machined in.

r1kk1
12-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Anybody want a used RCBS Summit press?

I use that press at the range and RV. I have it mounted to a ROCKDock at the range and when in the RV it is on a quick change plate from Inline Fabrication on a micro mount. I use a LNL bushing and the arbor press conversion when using Wilson dies. I have no other reloading press that allows me to do that. I have the press mounted forward on a portable bench and a 1 gallon waste can on the floor in front of it. It catches 100% of primers. I have both short and long handles for the press and when seating bullets and following instructions, I can feel them seat with the short handle. I have formed brass based on 444 Marlin, both Linebaugh's, 30-30 and 405 Winchester. The last one I form brass to 25 caliber up to 375 depending on the wildcat.

Mine is red, white, blue #24. Mine won't leave the bench.

take care,

r1kk1

flashhole
12-26-2015, 04:51 PM
This is what I take to the range.

​http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/two_zpswiemonai.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/two_zpswiemonai.jpg.html)

r1kk1
12-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Throw a couple of bench clamps and away you go! I mounted the RCBS bench primer to another ROCKDock but I don't need to clamp that down. My JDS QuickMeasure has its own stand and I have used a ChargeMaster plugged into my truck now and then. I really like it when my wife and I are the only ones there! I can form brass, work up loads and chronograph them the same day. We get home once a month we load whatever on the progressive.

I'm working on a turret project right now that will handle 1", 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" dies. It's not an original idea as I believe I have seen one with a LNL version plus bushings that were easily removable with what was available back in the early '60s. The holes are 1-½" but bushings can be for whatever die diameter you want. That will be my 2016 project.

Take care

r1kk1

jmorris
12-27-2015, 01:43 AM
I have a Lee breech lock and was happy to see the detent to hold it in place, had to add a thicker o-ring to one of my LNL's to keep it from self "quick detaching" itself while loading.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-27-2015, 07:33 PM
I have a Lee breech lock and was happy to see the detent to hold it in place, had to add a thicker o-ring to one of my LNL's to keep it from self "quick detaching" itself while loading.

I had a lot of LnL bushings at one time (enough for over 20 die sets, rifle and pistol). If I had one like you're describing, I'd return it and get a replacement, as I would consider it improperly machined.

opos
12-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Bet I have the answer...if you do not have the large or small little priming arm inserted in the ram on the Classic Cast the primers will shoot out onto the floor...with that little arm in place (even though you may not be priming right then) the primers deflect off of it and go down the tube...I had one devil of a time trying to figure out why sometimes I had primers all over the floor and other times they went down the tube as expected..it all had to do with the little priming arm being installed in the ram....When I'd use my dedicated decapping die I'd not have the priming arm in and the primers flew...on the other hand if I was knocking out primers, sizing and repriming in one step I had the priming arm in the ram and the spent primers behaved...now I always have either the large or small priming arm installed and voila...no flying primers.

jmort
12-27-2015, 11:17 PM
I use the Harvey Hand Deprimer or the Lee Hand Press or my $30 Lee Reloader press to deprime. No way any dirty brass gets anywhere near my "good" presses. I could care less how well my best presses deprime.

VHoward
12-27-2015, 11:51 PM
Bet I have the answer...if you do not have the large or small little priming arm inserted in the ram on the Classic Cast the primers will shoot out onto the floor...with that little arm in place (even though you may not be priming right then) the primers deflect off of it and go down the tube...I had one devil of a time trying to figure out why sometimes I had primers all over the floor and other times they went down the tube as expected..it all had to do with the little priming arm being installed in the ram....When I'd use my dedicated decapping die I'd not have the priming arm in and the primers flew...on the other hand if I was knocking out primers, sizing and repriming in one step I had the priming arm in the ram and the spent primers behaved...now I always have either the large or small priming arm installed and voila...no flying primers.

Mine spit primers all over the floor whether I had the priming arm installed or not. My solution to the problem was to sell the press and get the non breechlock version. Problem went away.

sdcitizen
12-28-2015, 12:38 AM
This is specifically referencing the split pin portion of the question. Both the Lee classic cast and classic cast turret share the same slit pin design at the bottom of the ram. Early in my reloading days, I managed to break one of them, had to order the whole toggle link from Lee to fix it. Upon close inspection, the only reason it broke was because the bolt that holds both linkages together was slightly loose, allowing it to twist, which will break them in short order. As long as the bolts are kept tight, I have no worries about doing the most strenuous sizing possible on the Lee classic cast which I now also have. I'd go as far as to say one could use the press for swaging if your arm is up to it.

stubbicatt
12-28-2015, 06:11 AM
Mine spit primers all over the floor whether I had the priming arm installed or not. My solution to the problem was to sell the press and get the non breechlock version. Problem went away.

So, if I understand your posting VHoward, you used the breach lock version and had spent primer issues? Well, that will not do. In conjunction with SDCitizen's post above and his experience with the standard, non breach lock version, I think that caps it off for me. I may be more favorably inclined to get the standard press now.

Again, thank you fellas for offering your experiences and advice.

Motard
12-28-2015, 01:57 PM
It is hard to me to see how the standard one can spill primers around being them pushed directly in the hollow ram and the in the disposal tube. With the BL it can happens being the ram splitted and the removed primers dropped in a basket under it. But nevertheless I did rarely if not never have this happens to me withe both presses. I must add that I thrust them both equaLLY

dkf
12-28-2015, 07:13 PM
If you don't have the primer arm in place on the Classic Cast and Classic Turret presses the spent primers do sometimes come out the slot at the top of the ram. With the primer arm in place I have never had a spent primer go stray. I like lees breech lock design but the reason I did not buy it when I bought my Classic Cast was because I wanted the spent primer setup like the LCT.

stubbicatt
12-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Well, went to Midway to place my order... wouldn't you know? Backordered! LOL. I spent so much time agonizing over the decision that I'll have to wait for the email saying that they got the press in. Funny how you go to that website for one thing, and then you look at your shopping cart and there is all that stuff you "need" but had forgotten about? By the time I get my cart full and take a day or two to think about my "needs", and get back, the main reason I went there is sold out.

I also followed up on JMort's posting and bought a Harvey deprimer tool. I had wanted a Meacham Tool de/re capper for my schuetzen rifle, but they aren't being made anymore I guess. Just as well I suppose, as I really like my RCBS APS hand primer tool for the recapping step. Thanks JMort.

flashhole
12-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Try FSReloading. They have better pricing and better shipping than Midway USA. About the only thing I use Midway for anymore is reading customer reviews of equipment.

VHoward
12-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Says in stock. They have gone up $30 since I bought mine. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-cast-press-90998.html

onegunred
12-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Try TITAN Reloading.

wingspar
12-30-2015, 08:53 PM

I’ve never used the press without the priming arm in the ram. Must be why I’ve never had that problem before.

I have had the priming arm fall out and onto the floor a couple of times tho.

wingspar
12-30-2015, 09:14 PM
So, if I understand your posting VHoward, you used the breach lock version and had spent primer issues? Well, that will not do. In conjunction with SDCitizen's post above and his experience with the standard, non breach lock version, I think that caps it off for me. I may be more favorably inclined to get the standard press now.

I own the Breech Lock Press and have never had any issue with primers going anywhere other than where they are supposed to. I always have the priming arm installed. Thinking about this, I wonder if the tube inside the ram that the primers go down thru gets clogged with debris over time and if running a pipe cleaner thru there would clear that up?

By the way, Midway isn’t the only place that sells these presses. Shop around a little. On a side note, if you have your birth date on file with Midway, you will get a birthday special in email giving you 7 days before and 7 days after your birthday to get a nice discount. This won’t help you if your birthday isn’t soon. My timing when I bought my press was right when I was about to order one, so I got my Breech Lock Press for $105 and I took advantage of the discount and ordered a bunch of dies and other stuff at the same time. Saved me over $80.

stubbicatt
03-12-2016, 07:00 PM
I guess I'm resurrecting Lazarus in re-opening this thread.

However, I bought the Lee Classic Cast single stage (non breach lock) press early January. Yesterday was a nice day so I got it all mounted up, and tried it out.

It is such an improvement over the RCBS Summit press. Full length sizing is effortless on 30WCF and 32-40. I loaded up some RCBS .309 180 grain gas checked RNFP boolits. It was such a joy, such a pleasure to use the Lee press.

Thanks guys for all your input. I am a happy camper.

Drew P
03-13-2016, 01:32 AM
Good to know. I also traded in my summit for the lee classic SS recently, and I'm also very happy with that decision. I have mine rigged with Hornady bushings. Today I hand fed the primer arm for some short batch priming of crimped mill brass and I didn't hate it at all. Great feel and pressure. First mod will be longer primer hose to a gallon jug.

I have a wonderful bench primer but I'm curious about the priming system for this press now. Anybody using it?

stubbicatt
03-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Drew P. I have the Safety Prime system on my Lee CC Turret press and it works pretty good. If I'm careful I won't miss the primer cup and drop one on the floor. I reckon all I'd need to get is the adaptor to put on the single stage press and I can use the same system. This is something I intend to do here this week. Call Lee and get one.

VHoward
03-13-2016, 01:22 PM
http://www.titanreloading.com/service-parts/priming-system-parts/lee-bp3065-replacement-safety-prime-bracket
I may have one of these brackets. If I can find it, it's yours for the cost of postage.

stubbicatt
03-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks VHoward. PM on its way.

Faret
03-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Drew P. I have the Safety Prime system on my Lee CC Turret press and it works pretty good. If I'm careful I won't miss the primer cup and drop one on the floor. I reckon all I'd need to get is the adaptor to put on the single stage press and I can use the same system. This is something I intend to do here this week. Call Lee and get one.

I have both and they work good once you get them set up right!

GONRA
03-23-2016, 02:35 PM
GONRA purchased a Lee Classic Cast Press 90998 for brass shotshell loading experiments.
Odd thread size was handy for the RCBS Cowboy Dies.

With a 22 inch long piece of 5/8 steel bar stock "handle" use it for all my conventional case sizing now.
Just shim the sizing dies (looog ago setup for my Holly Senior) with 5 mil beer can metal.
Then finishup on the Hollywood Senior as usual.
With STP Oil Treatment or Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease case lube, case sizing is EASY.
Looonger handle provides the sensitivity to pickup any Berdan primed brass
that sneaks past my rigorous (ha ha) inspection procedure.

bendad97
03-30-2016, 02:30 PM

Same here. And I used mine hard until I got my Turret Press.