PDA

View Full Version : Priming tools

flyingmonkey35
12-24-2015, 01:09 PM
So I have given up on priming on my load masters. Yet another blown primer and destroyed tray.

It was misallinged and they don't take a lot of pressure to go off.

So the question is. What too to use.

I've been using the Lee ram prime and I love how I can feel each primer seat and adjust.

But I hate picking up each primer one a a time.

Option 1# rcbs auto prime.

Option 2# a rcbs press that can use a primer tube?

Or a different single stage press?

Thoughts? Opinions suggestions or rediculule for misusing my loadmaster.

jmort
12-24-2015, 01:17 PM
I use the RCBS Auto Prime and the round tray Lee Hand Primers. I will always have some sort of hand priming tool in addition to the Auto Prime. I will never prime on a press.

r1kk1
12-24-2015, 01:20 PM
I use the RCBS bench priming tool. Much easier to use than lemon squeezers.

take care

r1kk1

Don Fischer
12-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Once I find something that works, I tend to quit experimenting. Many years ago when I started handloading, I used the priming system on my RCBS Jr press. My old Rock chucker is set up to do them the same way. But filling the tubes just annoyed me so I went to loading one at a time by hand. Was told that touching primer's could kill them, don't know if that's true or not but i did have a few primers that didn't go off. Then Lee came out with their hand tool and I got one but the early tool didn't have a tray to hold primer's. When they came out with the tray, I got one. Haven't touched a primer since. I'm on my second with the tray. Had this one little over twenty years and it still works great. The tray has ribs in it so when you dump primer's in, you can shake the tray to flip them over, what a farse! I went to turning them over with a pair of tweezers. Haven't had a primer ever go off while I was putting them in and haven't had a dead primer since. Strange thing, I think you can take the most up to date primer system and it won't do a better job than that cheap Lee tool. If this one ever breaks, I'm getting another!

Green Frog
12-24-2015, 01:47 PM
"I've just walked into a smorgasbord... somebody tell me what I should eat."

Just take a look around and grab whatever strikes your taste. All of my favorites involve "picking up each primer one at a time" so I won't be much help, but then again, I like to "peel and eat" my own shrimp while you may want a casserole. ;)

If you would consider going "single primer" I would recommend the earliest Lee tools as well as the old Lyman 310 tools for a great "touch." JMHO...YMMV!

Froggie

LUBEDUDE
12-24-2015, 02:07 PM
In my 45 yrs of loading I've found that picking up primers with your fingers is a myth.

I've even loaded primers that had been outside in the driveway all winter with total success of ignition. I set them on my bench for a week first to be sure that they were dry.

Maybe many, many years ago the priming compound was less stable than modern primers and that is how all this started.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/24/0b7e023f2ee88980df71be658a89f21e.jpg

Injured Veteran

flyingmonkey35
12-24-2015, 02:17 PM
I do have a Lee hand primer I don't really like it my hand starts to hurt after a while.

And the Lee ram prime on my c press works great just tedious. But I really don't load more the. A few hundred a month.

pjames32
12-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Lee hand primer with a tray or a bench mount RCBS tool. Both are 40+ years old. I'm not sure the old Lee with a round tray is still available.
PJ

tja6435
12-24-2015, 02:54 PM
I use the primer setup on the RCBS Rockchucker that feeds the primers from the aluminum tube, I've reeceny picked up a RCBS hand priming tool and primed over 1k cases pretty easily and certainly faster than the Rockchucker, however, the trade off is it wears your hand out quicker and it's not as easy to fully seat the primer compared to the Rockchucker. For new cases, the hand priming tool is the way to go. For fired cases, I tend to use the Rockchucker to ensure they seat nice and deep

salpal48
12-24-2015, 03:40 PM
This Like Many other reason to Give up on progressine loaders. . Once I dumped my dillons and lee's I had No more Problems. . . the Old saying still applies S*** and speed go hand In hand. Repent and see the light go back to single stage
Sal

soldierbilly1
12-24-2015, 03:58 PM
This Like Many other reason to Give up on progressine loaders. . Once I dumped my dillons and lee's I had No more Problems. . . the Old saying still applies S*** and speed go hand In hand. Repent and see the light go back to single stage
Sal
Sal: you aint lyin!
I have done the whole course on progressives priming and turret priming. rather unsatisfactory.
I now have the RCBS APS bench mount primer and it is decent. But, you need the priming tool and it is a little finicky till you get things worked out.
I also have the Lee Ergo and this works well, with practice. It will hurt your hand after about 75 primers!
both systems work well. You have to work with them. both will seat primers down 0.002", something my progressives and Lee turret wont do consistently!
Bill boy
PS Only my opinion, I dislike the tube feeders, too scary for me. go ahead, flame away!

pretzelxx
12-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Before I used the hornady hand primer. Super easy to use. I could knock out 100 primed in about a minute and a half.

OK make it about 3 minutes. I like to feel a full seat. But close enough

dragon813gt
12-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Pick which one floats your boat. I have all versions of Lee handheld ones. They all work, even the original. I don't like using them because my hands start to hurt in short order.

I know lots of people hate it. But I really like the Lee Safety Prime. No tubes to worry about filling. Mine is aligned and works down to the last two primers. At that point is no weight on the column so they don't feed reliably. I can live w/ this because of how quickly it allows me to prime.

Steve77
12-24-2015, 05:04 PM
I use the RCBS hand primer for some stuff. I have a few shell holders that won't fit the RCBS tool, so for those calibers I use the LEE Ergo Prime. I had the old Lee hand primers and traded them in to LEE for the Ergo and the XR. I hated the XR but the Ergo is pretty good.

I have several gripes about the RCBS. The primer tray pops out sometimes and scatters primers. And also the lid does not snap one securely and I have had it spill when I laid it down on my bench. It also is a bit more trouble to change shell holders or switch from large to small primers.

If the Lee used standard shell holders it would be a hands down winner. It is much less fiddling to switch large to small or switch shell holders. My lee does not like my old Herter's primers.

bangerjim
12-24-2015, 05:17 PM
I have two of the newer Lee square tray primers and love them. Gives me a grip workout so I do not have to use my "squeezy" grip thing at all! After countless THOUSAND of primers installed, I have never had a single one fire. Very reliable and safe.

I have one of those weird Forster ram-type bench things I got in a box of junk a few years ago. After messing around with that stupid soft aluminum tube and having to load each primer at a time, and primers fall out ever couple of minutes, it is now resides back in that aforementioned box of junk!

For me, you cannot beat the Lee square tray primer tool. I have one for smalls and one for larges. Too lazy to change the trays out!

banger

flashhole
12-24-2015, 05:35 PM
This looks interesting.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-auto-bench-prime-90700.html (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/Shooting%20Stuff/Disectedcase1.jpg.html)

This is the best priming tool ever made.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bench+mounted+priming+tool&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS609US609&biw=1048&bih=851&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLqJqbu_XJAhWHqR4KHSHaAB0Q_AUIBygC#imgr c=vDhCZ5NrHudy0M%3A

vzerone
12-24-2015, 06:00 PM
If you have shell holders that won't fit your RCBS hand primer you just grind out the hole that fits over the primer centering plastic on the primer. It's usually shell holders that aren't RCBS brand.

There is no way a Rockchucker seats a primer easier then the RCBS hand primer and plus you can feel the primer seating with the hand primer way better then the Rockchucker press and not over seat it and crush it. I used the Rockchucker and Junior for decades and their primer seating system for decades and will never go back to that. Just my two cents.

Gillie Dog
12-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Look up the Lee Auto Prime II.

Discontinued but I saw a couple go for $30 on ebay in the last month or so. (Saw some go for more than $100 a while back also)

Best of all the primer systems I tried before priming all pistol brass on a progressive. Still do all rifle brass on the Auto Prime II.

Nice "feel" and very fast. You do not wear out your hand either.

GD

Steve77
12-24-2015, 07:05 PM
If you have shell holders that won't fit your RCBS hand primer you just grind out the hole that fits over the primer centering plastic on the primer. It's usually shell holders that aren't RCBS brand.

There is no way a Rockchucker seats a primer easier then the RCBS hand primer and plus you can feel the primer seating with the hand primer way better then the Rockchucker press and not over seat it and crush it. I used the Rockchucker and Junior for decades and their primer seating system for decades and will never go back to that. Just my two cents.
I actually have 5 or 6 RCBS brand shell holders that don't fit their tool. The bevel on the bottom of the shell holder that tapers into the center hole is too shallow. It will not seat far enough down on the plastic stem to fit the assembly into the tool. I have another one stamped RCBS that wont fit into the ram on my Rock Chucker. The whole lot of bad shell holders is in a pile to be returned to RCBS for replacements.

runfiverun
12-24-2015, 11:48 PM
rcbs bench mounted priming tool.
I have 2 of them, only need one, but if I don't have 2 one will break for sure. [not,, they are built like tanks]

if you look at how they operate you'll see how safe they are.

you can feel the primer bottom out, or if it's sloppy, or tight.
and it don't take no extra fancy shell holder thingy, just the one you need to load the case with on your press.

flyingmonkey35
12-25-2015, 12:42 AM
This looks interesting.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-auto-bench-prime-90700.html (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/Shooting%20Stuff/Disectedcase1.jpg.html)

This is the best priming tool ever made.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bench+mounted+priming+tool&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS609US609&biw=1048&bih=851&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLqJqbu_XJAhWHqR4KHSHaAB0Q_AUIBygC#imgr c=vDhCZ5NrHudy0M%3A
Your links are broken

flyingmonkey35
12-25-2015, 12:45 AM
I have two of the newer Lee square tray primers and love them. Gives me a grip workout so I do not have to use my "squeezy" grip thing at all! After countless THOUSAND of primers installed, I have never had a single one fire. Very reliable and safe.

I have one of those weird Forster ram-type bench things I got in a box of junk a few years ago. After messing around with that stupid soft aluminum tube and having to load each primer at a time, and primers fall out ever couple of minutes, it is now resides back in that aforementioned box of junk!

For me, you cannot beat the Lee square tray primer tool. I have one for smalls and one for larges. Too lazy to change the trays out!

banger
If your interested in digging it out of a box I might find it a new home???

flyingmonkey35
12-25-2015, 01:06 AM
Lee has one comming out next year. https://fsreloading.com/images/D/90495-2016.jpg

Hick
12-25-2015, 01:19 AM
I use the RCBS hand priming tool with the round tray-- but I think the other hand priming tools are just as good. Priming this way is quick and easy,and because you are squeezing it by hand you quickly develop a 'feel' for whether or not the primers are seating correctly. I think its much, much, nicer than trying to use the priming system on the press.

tonyjones
12-25-2015, 02:24 AM
I use a RCBS bench mounted tool that utilizes APS strips. I also have the strip loading tool. The speed of operation is good and "feel" is acceptable; much better than priming on a press. For ultimate precision I like the Sinclair hand priming tool. Sensitivity, once you become accustomed to the tool, is unmatched. The K&M tool comes close but the Sinclair is the ultimate and you'll never wear one out. TJ

1989toddm
12-25-2015, 11:17 AM

take care

r1kk1

I'll second this!

David2011
12-25-2015, 12:41 PM
I have several priming methods available. The Lee is OK and works best IMO if disassembled, cleaned and lubed with a good grease on the pivot and cam. There is also on the press priming for an RCBS JR3 and Rock Chucker. They are rarely used.

take care

r1kk1

Yep, my favorite method of priming off of a Dillon.

Sal

Unfortunately some primers run better in Dillons than others so there is some very small element of truth here. There are also things that can be done to make Dillons in particular prime better so it's not ALL the press. I'm a dedicated Dillon owner having purchased my first one in 1991. By round count most of my progressive loading is .40 S&W for USPSA so there is no benefit IMO to searching for the primer that produces the smallest groups. When shooting on the move at 2 to 5 rounds per second there are many other factors that will interfere with accuracy than primer choice. Jimmy Mitchell, the 1911 smith, convinced me to try CCI primers in my Dillons. The current production primers in the dark blue box definitely run smoother than any other brand including the older CCI primers in tan or green and black packaging. I've had several primers of other brands flip upside down (not so bad, easy to get the case out of the shell holder), go into the pocket crooked (bad, can be hard to remove possibly requiring removal of the shell holder from the press) or in 1 or 2 instances over 24 years a primer popped. In those cases I was pretty sure the primer was going to go off. I was still startled even though I expected it. No harm was done and the case was easily removed from the shell holder after crushing the primer. I have not had these problems in the Dillon presses with CCI primers.

rcbs bench mounted priming tool.
I have 2 of them, only need one, but if I don't have 2 one will break for sure. [not,, they are built like tanks]

if you look at how they operate you'll see how safe they are.

you can feel the primer bottom out, or if it's sloppy, or tight.
and it don't take no extra fancy shell holder thingy, just the one you need to load the case with on your press.

Best plan. I have 2 as well. For runs of 20 or even 30 rounds I'll feed single primers by hand. Those rounds are always going to be shot fairly soon and I have never had a primer fail to work after touching them with my fingers. For more than 30 I load a tube. I agree with the comments about feel. You definitely know when a pocket is loose or too tight and it's easy to seat with pretty consistent pressure as long as the pockets are "normal."

dragon813gt
12-25-2015, 01:06 PM
http://leeprecision.com/userfiles/ads/LP8301_AutoBenchPrime.pdf

It uses the modified shell holders. Seems that Lee thinks it's a hassle to swap them back and forth. At $37 it's certainly priced low enough to try out once it's released.

vzerone
12-25-2015, 01:29 PM
I actually have 5 or 6 RCBS brand shell holders that don't fit their tool. The bevel on the bottom of the shell holder that tapers into the center hole is too shallow. It will not seat far enough down on the plastic stem to fit the assembly into the tool. I have another one stamped RCBS that wont fit into the ram on my Rock Chucker. The whole lot of bad shell holders is in a pile to be returned to RCBS for replacements.

I've modified all my non RCBS shellholders with a Dremel and grinding stone and they work perfect. Only thing I don't like about my RCBS hand primer is even if you tighten that flat slide strip that shuts off the seating primer from the magazine tray, it comes loose and "boing" the thing flies apart. That and the little plastic stem on the tray lid wears and doesn't fit tight. I fixed that though.

troyboy
12-25-2015, 07:51 PM
I use the Lee Auto Prime 11 in conjunction wuth the much maligned reloader press when doing a batch. If making a bunch of production ammo it is done on my Ammomaster progressive. If doing a real small batch singe on the press. If you cant prime on a progressive for production then it is time to figure your press out or get another.

r1kk1
12-25-2015, 08:42 PM
If you cant prime on a progressive for production then it is time to figure your press out or get another.

I agree.

r1kk1

swamp
12-25-2015, 09:26 PM
I am another fan of the Auto Prime II and the Reloader press. Every time I contact Lee I ask them to make it again.
swamp

JeffG
12-25-2015, 09:46 PM
I use a LM too, but have never primed on it. I also have the ram prime and love the feel you get from it. The simplest and quickest for me so far to decap and cap on my Lee classic cast is their universal decapper and their safety prime setup. I have a rhythm with it now that works very well. I recently got a rcbs hand priming tool which is nice too.

salpal48
12-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Enclosed is one of The best bech mounted tools to Date. easy Flawless and simple
GUN CLINIC

goryshaw
12-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Started out in 1986 with the priming tool on my Lyman turret press, too much leverage to have a good feel. Went to an RCBS Posiprime but didn't like having to handle the primers individually. Used the RCBS tray type for quite a while. Might just be worn out, but started having problems seating even in Starline brass, which is usually the easiest to prime. Replacement ram from RCBS but it still has problems lining the primers up with the pockets consistently.

Tried a Lyman EEZEE Prime and really liked it at the beginning, but it has problems with .223/5.56 brass even after reaming the pockets. It is a neat design, with the ram attached to the tray. There is a flimsy plastic primer guide that sticks up above the main body, and it broke off finally when trying to clear a primer jammed sideways. I still use the large primer tray to load anything with large primer pockets, but went back to the 30 year old posiprime for 223/5.56 and found that old one has better leverage and by holding the primer in it's own cup will prime cases that the Lyman has difficulty with. Lyman's customer service was terrific, but it still has problems with 223/5.56 cases, so I'm still using the ancient RCBS Posiprime to prime 500 or so a month.

stubbicatt
12-26-2015, 05:59 AM
For on the press priming I like the Lee Safety Prime system that comes on the classic cast turret press. I'm glad they didn't call it the "Perfect" prime system, as it does have its faults... sometimes the primers pop out of the punch during the transfer from the chute, and the last 2 primers of 100 won't feed without a lot of shaking and jiggling. But it works pretty good in that application.

For hand priming I liked the original Lee priming tool with the round trays. Again, not perfect, as it will sometimes seat the primers backwards or smash 'em in sideways. Something wrong with the way the primers feed in that system. But the feel that the thumb operated lever gives is really very nice. Here lately I like the APS tool by RCBS. I've never cocked a primer nor seated one backwards, nor detonated any either. If used with the strip loader accessory tool it works with any brand of primers. With cases as small as 32-20 or as large as 45-70 that universal "shell holder" setup works just fine.

Wild Bill 7
12-26-2015, 10:43 AM
I agree r5r, l have only one though and the only one I have ever owned. Guess I am prejudiced on that account. lol

Jpholla
12-26-2015, 11:56 AM
I use the Lee Auto Prime 11 in conjunction wuth the much maligned reloader press when doing a batch. If making a bunch of production ammo it is done on my Ammomaster progressive. If doing a real small batch singe on the press. If you cant prime on a progressive for production then it is time to figure your press out or get another.

The only Loadmaster I've ever had primed perfectly as long as you didn't let any crimped military brass get mixed in. The vast majority of priming issues with this press, as I understand it, come from the press not being mounted to a perfectly solid and level table. If it moves or is jostled in any way primers can get off-center on the post and will tip. I think I would have to get rid of the press before I would prime every single piece of brass from here on out separately, mainly because the priming stage comes in between decapping/sizing and charging. It would negate the progressiveness too much and I would just use a turret press. The Lee Classic Turret will prime brass crimp or no crimp, and the handle can be squeezed against the frame post with one hand (like a hand primer) and is just as sensitive to feel the primer bottom out. Picking up a primer each time and placing it in the hole is done while sizing the piece of brass, so no time is lost. Back when I only had a single stage press, at the behest of others' wisdom I bought a Hornady hand primer (I liked the handle shape, standard shell holder usage, and price) and used it until I realized it didn't really save me any time. I chocked it up to the "gadget-itis" we reloaders get from time to time.

r1kk1
12-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Enclosed is one of The best bech mounted tools to Date. easy Flawless and simple
GUN CLINIC

Salpal are they still being made? This is the first one I've seen.

Take care

r1kk1

retread
12-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Would like to find one of these at a decent price.

I load mainly on a Dillon 550 but I like to check the primer seating when I am finished with a run. Right now I use a Lee hand primer but like others my hand gets tired. Don't know if this would be easier or not. Also wonder if I will be able to "feel it" the way I can with the Lee.

flashhole
12-26-2015, 09:43 PM
I have two of those on my bench. One for small primers, one for large primers. Yes, they have good tactile feel of the primer seating into the case.

flyingmonkey35
12-26-2015, 10:48 PM
I love all these options. But I like the load master as a press. When I prime on them I tend to call them my squib masters.

I can upgrade my 3 hole press to a 4hole turret press for 70 bucks + 35 for the safety prime but. Do I really want to polish a turd?

Must put some serious thought into this.

salpal48
12-26-2015, 11:06 PM
The Gun clinic was a Tool made in the late 1960's-70?. it function with Unique shell holders as shown. Caliber specific. . One set the machine was flawless. and had an Internal Change from large to small . . priming Post changed as well. it seated primers easy with That fell without a force effort. Cost @ the Time was $25.00 . The tube was universal and stacked Them on there side .. . I still use this and In exc. condition
Sal
Salpal are they still being made? This is the first one I've seen.

Take care

r1kk1

pcolapaddler
12-26-2015, 11:44 PM
I am a bit of a noob... I used a Lee Loader / whack a mole for a bit. After setting off a couple of primers and practically wetting myself in the process, I bought a Lee Auto Prime XR.

It works OK. Once in a while a primer will get sort of 'cockeyed' and become damaged in the process. But I haven't made one go bang while using it. It does make the hand a little tired after a bit. I often load small batches, and so may not load up a full tray.

JeffG
12-27-2015, 12:46 AM
I love all these options... Do I really want to polish a turd?

Hahaha, I love it. Yeah, when you look at what it takes to upgrade it them compare the cost of a new one, I't almost hard to justify isn't it?

retread
12-27-2015, 01:27 AM
I have two of those on my bench. One for small primers, one for large primers. Yes, they have good tactile feel of the primer seating into the case.

Where were you able to find them? Any suggestions?

Thanks

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-27-2015, 04:54 AM
To the original poster:

Have you tried having Mike of Mike's Reloading Bench modify your priming system for you? If not, I suggest you add his shake brake to stabilize your press, then have him modify your priming system for you. Here's a link:

www.mikesreloadingbench.com

xd45forever
12-28-2015, 09:52 PM
I have a bad case of carpal tunnel so until I get that fixed hand priming is out of the question! I have the rcbs press mounted primer with the tubes.I enjoy my time in the reloading room so time is of no consequence!

stubbicatt
12-28-2015, 10:29 PM
xd45forever, do you find it difficult to shoot with the carpal tunnel? I would think handguns would be so painful as to be impossible?

leeggen
12-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Stubbycatt shooting a 500S&W is how I found out that my pain was caused by carpul tunnel. Man I shot that thing about 7 or 8 rounds and layed it down.LOL That hurt more than about anything I can think of. Couple days later went to doc. and arranged for surgery.
CD

Mike Kerr
12-30-2015, 12:23 AM
After years of hand priming to assist various Lee progressives with less than perfect "on press priming" I had finally decided on a RCBS hand primer for pretty darn fast priming with great reliability. A couple of decades ago I switched to Dillon 450's and 550's which took care of 99% of my priming but I kept the RCBS hand primer as it still comes in handy for priming a case or two here and there.

dragon
12-30-2015, 03:30 PM
While I really like the Autoprime XR that came with my press kit, I have often thought that if I didn't have it I would chase down one of the discontinued AutoPrime II. They are basically a ram prime with feed tray.

The only experience I have with on-press priming is a friend's pro1000 set up for 9mm. I really don't like the almost complete lack of feel, but he has it set quite well and it is rare that it has a hiccup.

Seeing as how you like the ram prime I would either try to find an autoprime II or wait to give that new bench mount lee a try ;)