PDA

View Full Version : I gotsda know

Shooter6br
04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Took my RB to the range. I used some bullets from a friend Lyman 400 g.Shot 13 g Trail boss and 12.5 Universal clays (45-70) The Universal clays shot good. The Trail boss where terrible ( Key holed) The bullets were lubed with Lyman Moly. Why would the differant powders make such a big differance? Also the bore which previously was fairly clean when a patch was run thur was filty black with lube / powder. I use beeswax and Crisco Never had a problem with 350 g Ranch Dog bullets ? Any clues? Rick( dont know the velocity of the loads)

TCLouis
04-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Different powders and even slight differences of the same powder may drastically alter groups.

Looking at a series of shot on a target lying here close to the computer and the difference of 1 grain of the same powder changers the group from 1 inch to about 3 inches. Changing from one boolit to another of about the same nominal weight has almost the same effect.

I was shooting my 86 in 45-70 last night using Bartlett's #105 powder (WLP)

10 grains and three boolits are inside of the 1" blaze orange dot (THANX to Ranch Dog for that boolit design 378 grains lubed in my alloy).

11 opens a little bit and 12 is a 3" group.

Close to the same effect with the RCBS 325 grain plain base boolit.

A very long winded way to say changes in amount of the same powder can have a significant affect and different powder altogether and one can not predict what the results might be, good or bad!

Change in primer can have the same effects. I use all WLP for 45-70 since all my loads are loaded to Trap Door max. Substituted som CCI and WLR in some loads and same effect you found with change in powder in some loads but NOT all.

Oh and brass . . . . Oh well never mind I ha driveled on long enough and I still have my comment on lubes . . .

Lube and fouling

Fouling from smokeless from nothing to light yellow to light gray to dark gray, most likely dependent on the coating if any.

Beeswax yellow, tan or even close to white.

Crisco white as sold or clear once melted.

Lube fouling is likely to be?

Clear, light gray, dark gray

Alox is dark brown

Molydenum (sp) disulfide is fine black

lube in the stick is black

Lube fouling color is likely to be?

Black

218bee
04-18-2008, 08:47 PM
If the boolits were keyholed I wonder if the velocity was real low, maybe also explaining lots of unburnt powder? still in barrel, just a thought.

canyon-ghost
04-20-2008, 02:06 AM
I don't care for Moly Lube myself.