PDA

View Full Version : Here we go

michael.birdsley
12-24-2015, 03:04 AM
Here is the first of my reloads. Been waiting for this day for a long time. I am reloading for my Ruger SR9c. I loaded a 115 grain hornaday RN FMJ with bullseye powder. They are loaded into federal once fired brass and CCI small pistol primers. Using the Hornaday reloading manual I loaded ten rounds at the beginning charge of 3.9 grains and than another 10 rounds at 4.2 grains so basically a magazine worth of each. I tried setting my dye to what the manual said of 1.100 for the O.A.L but, ones loaded at 3.9 averaged at 1.1025 and the OAL for the 4.2s avg at 1.1042. I don't think .004 should hurt. It took me about 5 hours to load those twenty rounds but, most of the time was figuring out the Lee safety scale and the Lee perfect powder measure and I wanted to make sure everything was right. My dyes are the Lee delux set and I finished them up with a crimp between 1/2 and 3/4 a turn. Hoping everything works like it is supposed too. If it does I wanna play with OAL to see what works best. After I get reloading down with j-word bullets I can start putting my lead I have been melting down to good use http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/b71eefd194f246111882dd5080420795.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/c48a70f9cb28c13e586392205263fa92.jpg

Hick
12-24-2015, 03:17 AM
Only 5 hours? Yes, that is slow, but its most important that you took your time to get it right. You'll be faster as you get more comfortable. They look good, and i don't think the OAL variations are that important. All my experience is with rifle cartridges (several thousand so far), but OAL variations are usually only a problem if you exceed some dimension required by the firearm (such as maximum for the breech or magazine). Your pictures look good. Enjoy

Yodogsandman
12-24-2015, 05:33 AM
One last check is needed to make sure everything goes right. Perform a "ker plunk" test with your reloaded rounds. Remove the barrel from your pistol and drop each round into the chamber. The base of the case should line up with the back of your barrel's chamber. When they fit right, you're rewarded with that "ker plunk" sound when they seat.

bedbugbilly
12-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Congrats! They look good. As already mentioned, you did it the right way by taking your time. Your output will increase as you get more comfortable with it.

The "plunk" test has already been mentioned. That will be the determining factor on your overall length, etc.

One thing you might consider getting is a "cartridge gauge". They run around $20 or so. I keep one right on my bench when I'm reloading 9mm so that I can do random checks just to make sure the reloads are in spec. You drop the rond in and if the base of the casing is flush with the top of the gauge, you're good to go. If it sticks up or below, you know you need to make some adjustments on your dies/loading. I have a SR9 that I load for. I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure like you who in your photo. Once adjusted, mine drops very accurate loads for me with Bulls Eye or Red Dot.

Good luck with your test fires! Have fun and let us know how it went! Have a safe and happy holiday!

C. Latch
12-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Garyshome
12-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Those are 9's correct? That's a tough one to start out with. Don't forget to acquire a case length gage [cartridge gauge], real handy to have sitting around.

MrWolf
12-24-2015, 11:24 AM
As others said get a case guage. I actually check every one of them as I transfer from my Dillon catch tray, but I can be anal.

Jupiter7
12-24-2015, 11:33 AM
No need for case gauge. Pistol came with one, the barrel. Never owned one to date. Good job taking your time and getting details sorted.

Dakooz
12-24-2015, 11:44 AM
You're starting like I did.

Crazy thing is that I started reloading so that I could shoot more..it seems that I now shoot so that I can reload more.

runfiverun
12-24-2015, 12:03 PM
No need for case gauge. Pistol came with one, the barrel. Never owned one to date. Good job taking your time and getting details sorted.

ditto this.
the pistol is where the ammo is going.
the way I make ammo is to first function test the boolit-case combination and oal in the gun for 100% function.
then worry about the load details.

5 hrs is pretty close to my record of working with LEE equipment too, I think you got more ammo than I did in that amount of time though.

michael.birdsley
12-24-2015, 12:37 PM
I tried a dummy round and set at OAL of 1.100 and chambered. is that the same as plunk test.

michael.birdsley
12-24-2015, 01:14 PM
As others said get a case guage. I actually check every one of them as I transfer from my Dillon catch tray, but I can be anal.

I measured the OAL of each one with my mititoyo calipers

michael.birdsley
12-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Congrats! They look good. As already mentioned, you did it the right way by taking your time. Your output will increase as you get more comfortable with it.

The "plunk" test has already been mentioned. That will be the determining factor on your overall length, etc.

One thing you might consider getting is a "cartridge gauge". They run around $20 or so. I keep one right on my bench when I'm reloading 9mm so that I can do random checks just to make sure the reloads are in spec. You drop the rond in and if the base of the casing is flush with the top of the gauge, you're good to go. If it sticks up or below, you know you need to make some adjustments on your dies/loading. I have a SR9 that I load for. I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure like you who in your photo. Once adjusted, mine drops very accurate loads for me with Bulls Eye or Red Dot.

Good luck with your test fires! Have fun and let us know how it went! Have a safe and happy holiday!

What's a good case gage to get?

Scharfschuetze
12-24-2015, 01:47 PM
First, Congrats on the big step! Once started, it's hard to let go of and you'll enjoy shooting all the more with ammo that you made.

If you want a case gauge, you can find 'em at any of the big on-line stores like Midway, Graph and Sons or Dillon. Most of these sites have a search engine, so it'll be easy to find one.

To be honest, I've never used a case gauge. While I won't disparage them, I've always depended on good measuring tools such as dial calipers. I don't recall seeing case measuring gauges advertised until the early to mid 80s or so (initially by Dillon) and by that time I'd already established my loading routine and I never found the need for them. Properly used quality loading dies really should preclude the need for one, but to each his own and any step used to make quality ammo is to be applauded.

As others have already suggested, use the Barrel of your Ruger as a case gauge and if they go "kerplunk" and the head of the case is even with or slightly below the barrel hood and it drops in easily and falls out easily, you're good to go. Here is an original 1911A1 barrel used as a gauge. Too easy.

michael.birdsley
12-24-2015, 07:47 PM
How do you guys evaluate your reloads?

mortre
12-24-2015, 08:40 PM
My evaluation is based almost completely on "does it cycle" in all my guns.

runfiverun
12-24-2015, 08:44 PM
in the pistols.
100% function is my first priority.
I then mess with things to get them shooting near or to the sights most of my pistols don't have adjustable sights and many just have drift the rear and file the front types.
so I gotta be dang sure I'm shooting loads that work every single time before I go working on the gun to make everything jibe.

michael.birdsley
12-25-2015, 02:03 AM
"My evaluation is based almost completely on "does it cycle" in all my guns."

how many rounds do you shoot untill you are satisfied that they will cycle? A magazine worth?

Scharfschuetze
12-25-2015, 07:55 AM
how many rounds do you shoot untill you are satisfied that they will cycle? A magazine worth?

I guess if 50 rounds function reliably, then I'm satisfied and I'll load all that I need with that combination of components. I keep detailed records so I can duplicate a good and reliable load at any time if the components are at hand.

chutesnreloads
12-25-2015, 02:06 PM
I don't load for multiple guns in same caliber.Along with 100% functioning I like to work loads up with the gun rested on sandbags for accuracy.For 9mm,I'd do accuracy testing at 25 yards working up 2-3 tenths grain at a time for ten shots each.Find an accurate load and load same and retest to confirm.Never saw the point in hitting close to what is aimed at.

michael.birdsley
12-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Thank appreciate. Ended up shooting them yesterday. Eventhoug I took good notes on how I made them. Yesterday was just about getting the nerve to shoot them. all 20 hit the paper plate at 7 yards. Now I'll load the same ones up and really evaluate them

chutesnreloads
12-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you still have all your fingers and can see out both eyes.Reloading ain't all that difficult.Pay attention to what your doing.You can make it as complicated as you feel like.

L Erie Caster
12-26-2015, 07:50 PM
A good case gage here

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/744135/egw-4-hole-chamber-checker-max-cartridge-gage-9mm-luger-38-super-40-s-and-w-45-acp

Shiloh
12-26-2015, 08:25 PM
As stated, not only does it need to feed, it has to extract. With round nose, if it passes the "Plunk" test, it will extract.
I have seen SWC that fed hard, and were difficult to extract.

Shiloh

trixter
12-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Here is the first of my reloads. Been waiting for this day for a long time. I am reloading for my Ruger SR9c. I loaded a 115 grain hornaday RN FMJ with bullseye powder. They are loaded into federal once fired brass and CCI small pistol primers. Using the Hornaday reloading manual I loaded ten rounds at the beginning charge of 3.9 grains and than another 10 rounds at 4.2 grains so basically a magazine worth of each. I tried setting my dye to what the manual said of 1.100 for the O.A.L but, ones loaded at 3.9 averaged at 1.1025 and the OAL for the 4.2s avg at 1.1042. I don't think .004 should hurt. It took me about 5 hours to load those twenty rounds but, most of the time was figuring out the Lee safety scale and the Lee perfect powder measure and I wanted to make sure everything was right. My dyes are the Lee delux set and I finished them up with a crimp between 1/2 and 3/4 a turn. Hoping everything works like it is supposed too. If it does I wanna play with OAL to see what works best. After I get reloading down with j-word bullets I can start putting my lead I have been melting down to good use http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/b71eefd194f246111882dd5080420795.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/c48a70f9cb28c13e586392205263fa92.jpg

Just exactly how I got started with my 45ACP. Keep up the good work. You will become addicted, and that is a good thing!

michael.birdsley
12-29-2015, 08:47 PM
On the second go around of loading I had one with a COAL of 1.0945 the hornaday book says COAL for the 115 RN FMJ is 1.100 which, is the minimum COAL and the maximum is 1.169. It passes the kerplunk test. Should I just pull the bullet or will it be safe to fire?

FISH4BUGS
12-29-2015, 09:35 PM
How do you guys evaluate your reloads?
I judge my reloads by whether or not they go bang and don't blow up the gun. Well that is only partially true.
I cast and reload for submachine guns in 380, 9mm and 45 acp, pistols in 9mm and 45, and rifle and revolvers in 38/357 and 44 spl/mag.
For the subguns, I use a case guage for all of the pistol rounds, but probably it is not necessary. The 147 subsonic 9mm are also gauged. By design, submachineguns have very generous chambers so there is rom for sloppiness.
The rounds used in the pistols get case gauged....every one of them.
Shooting full auto is not target work. I make sure the reloads are done right. Brass polished, cases prepped, powder charges checked every 100 rounds (I load on a Dillon 550) and I take my time. 223 and 308 are the same....every round is gauged.
I have blown up 2 guns in my days and never want to repeat that again. One was a S&W 76 9mm subgun.....good thing it was built like a tank.
It is easy to make a mistake. Always take your time and do it right.
Welcome to the hobby.
You know when you have it REALLY bad when you go Dillon Blue with multiple presses each dedicated to one caliber and you start buying powder by the case and brass and primers by the thousands.
Don't hesitate to ask questions here. We were all newbies once.

Jal5
12-29-2015, 11:31 PM
I remember shooting my first reloads several years ago. Congrats. You are being careful and going slow. Good start. Remember there are no dumb questions except the unasked ones.

Big Boomer
12-29-2015, 11:57 PM
At some point you may want to acquire another 9mm ... like I did, and you will have to start all over if you shoot lead boolits. I went all out with my first one, a Sig P938. For such a light, short barreled pistol, it shoots my cast boolits (Lee 125 gr. rn) very well and they are sized in a .358 sizer die. I recently acquired a CZ in 9mm, a full sized pistol, and to my surprise the cast boolit ammo that shoots fine in the Sig will not chamber in the CZ. Going to have to seat the boolits deeper to get it to run. So don't assume what will work well for one will work for another unless you are very lucky. Big Boomer

michael.birdsley
12-30-2015, 03:25 AM
At some point you may want to acquire another 9mm ... like I did, and you will have to start all over if you shoot lead boolits. I went all out with my first one, a Sig P938. For such a light, short barreled pistol, it shoots my cast boolits (Lee 125 gr. rn) very well and they are sized in a .358 sizer die. I recently acquired a CZ in 9mm, a full sized pistol, and to my surprise the cast boolit ammo that shoots fine in the Sig will not chamber in the CZ. Going to have to seat the boolits deeper to get it to run. So don't assume what will work well for one will work for another unless you are very lucky. Big Boomer

I want to cast. I have been collecting wheel weights. I have about 45lbs of processed wheel weights in 1lbs and 1/2lbs ingots and another 120 lbs of unprocessed wheel weights. But, I wanna get reloading down with jacket/plated bullets first.

whisler
12-30-2015, 10:03 PM
"But, I wanna get reloading down with jacket/plated bullets first."
A wise choice, grasshopper!:bigsmyl2:

mozeppa
12-30-2015, 10:12 PM
i like case gages as they don't need taken apart to do the plunk test.

michael.birdsley
01-03-2016, 01:01 AM
Here is my winning group of 2.168 off of a rest at the conservation club. 10 shots or a magazine of re loads. Useing 4.2 grns of bullseye and 115 grn RN FMJ Hornaday bulletshttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/b0a9d643fbfda689e67670664229563e.jpg

Scharfschuetze
01-03-2016, 02:13 AM
Well now, that wasn't so hard! :)

Nice shooting and I'm sure very satisfying for you. I still remember my first handloads made on a Lee Loader and Lyman tong tool in the mid 60s. I still have several of those first hand tool loaders, although to be honest, they don't see much service anymore.

swmass
01-04-2016, 04:01 AM
I remember my first reloading session... Made about 50 rounds in 3 hours and I was pretty proud! :lol: I was actually loading a very similar round. 3.9 grains of bullseye under a 124gn plated @ 1.125. Loaded thousands of that round from 3.7 to 3.9. (dropped down to 3.7 after a while, POI was the same and they were real easy on the hand) If I get a standard deviation of .004 I'm fine... Never noticed a difference. Punched a lot of x rings out with that load before I got into casting my own.

michael.birdsley
01-04-2016, 08:36 PM
I remember my first reloading session... Made about 50 rounds in 3 hours and I was pretty proud! :lol: I was actually loading a very similar round. 3.9 grains of bullseye under a 124gn plated @ 1.125. Loaded thousands of that round from 3.7 to 3.9. (dropped down to 3.7 after a while, POI was the same and they were real easy on the hand) If I get a standard deviation of .004 I'm fine... Never noticed a difference. Punched a lot of x rings out with that load before I got into casting my own.
With me working all this over time I think I'm going to make a large purchase of plated plated bullets which should keep the Ruger happy for a while and than I'm either going to concentrate on my savage 325c 30-30 or my mosin that I put in a ATI stock with Timney trigger. Tax time I'm buying a mold, and sizing die for either the Ruger sr9c, the savage or mosin. I dunno what yet. I was gonna by the mold for the Ruger but, it is a ccw pistol and plated bullets are cheap. I think a full sized pistol would be better to shoot cast bullets with.

Landshark9025
01-04-2016, 11:14 PM
You can't go wrong with plated. I like Berry's or xTreme. If I could make one recommendation that would be to limit the number of projects to one at a time. Helps with the learning curves. Especially if you are already pressed for time. Makes it easy to keep the bench tidy.

I cast for my CCW. I carry factory but shoot A TON of cast for practice and because it is fun.

You may elect to start casting for the 30-30...but the others are just a matter of time.....;)

michael.birdsley
01-05-2016, 01:58 AM
You can't go wrong with plated. I like Berry's or xTreme. If I could make one recommendation that would be to limit the number of projects to one at a time. Helps with the learning curves. Especially if you are already pressed for time. Makes it easy to keep the bench tidy.

That's why I have to make up my mind on what I wanna do. The load I came up ( I didn't really come up with it copied from the hornaday manual) with for the Ruger works pretty good. Get really good groups, runs the gun with no issue. Whole goal for the Ruger was to make ammo cheaper to practice with. Now I just have to make sure it works with plated bullets and figure out if I really want to cast with it. There is a company On Facebook where you can order 500 extreme plated bullets and 500 once fired 9mm brass for I think 64 bucks before shipping. I don't know if I should experiment with my limited time, crank out bullets, or move onto my rifles. But, I'm closer to casting with pistol because all I need is a mold and sizer die and don't have to worry about other components.

Eventually soon hopefully I'll will be getting a new job. I graduated with a BA in American history ( don't want to teach) and with that I am now a quality tech at a large automotive machine shop that machine drive train components. Been working basically 6-7 days a week for 6 years.

Landshark9025
01-05-2016, 07:05 AM
If it was me, and this is just my opinion- no right answer, but rather than spend $64 on 500 bullets and once fired brass, I'd spend $80 on 1,000 plated bullets and scrounge the brass. You'll still need to rework up your load. Plated bullets generally can't be pushed as hard as FMJ but some of them are good for 1,200FPS or more now. Xtreme always has "daily deals" "weekly deals" "free shipping deals", etc.

Anytime you change a major component- bullet, powder, primer, brass it's best to re-work your load up. Especially if you are at the top end of the recommended, but just plan on doing it whenever you change something. As a rule. It's better for safety and you never know- bullet "B" may like a lower charge than bullet "A" even though they look the same.

Sounds like you are really close on the Ruger which is great. You may need to flip a coin to determine if you are going to cast for the Ruger or the rifle. :)

How many rounds/month do you go through in your pistol?

krems
01-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Well done.....looks like everything went as planned. Keep saving your money because you are only getting started. (Next up - progressive press, bullet molds, lead pot, etc. etc. etc. ). I think I'd be retired if I only saved the money I spent on shooting stuff. I started out like you did and now I have my own machine shop so I can do my own minor smithing projects and make my own bullet molds because I got tired of the waiting period for gunsmiths and mold makers.

michael.birdsley
01-05-2016, 02:42 PM
If it was me, and this is just my opinion- no right answer, but rather than spend $64 on 500 bullets and once fired brass, I'd spend $80 on 1,000 plated bullets and scrounge the brass. You'll still need to rework up your load. Plated bullets generally can't be pushed as hard as FMJ but some of them are good for 1,200FPS or more now. Xtreme always has "daily deals" "weekly deals" "free shipping deals", etc.

How many rounds/month do you go through in your pistol?

Before I started reloading I was lucky to go through 50 rounds a month. In the last two weeks I've put 200 rounds through it. Originally when I bought the pistol I wanted to put at least 50 rounds a week through it. Hasn't happened though. At the moment we have 3 inches of snow and ice covering the ground so I can't really scrounge at the range untill spring

michael.birdsley
01-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Well done.....looks like everything went as planned. Keep saving your money because you are only getting started. (Next up - progressive press, bullet molds, lead pot, etc. etc. etc. ). I think I'd be retired if I only saved the money I spent on shooting stuff. I started out like you did and now I have my own machine shop so I can do my own minor smithing projects and make my own bullet molds because I got tired of the waiting period for gunsmiths and mold makers.

I am already seeing the draw backs of the little Lee single stage press for loading pistol but, it will suffice for a while. Working at a machine shop I have access to C.m.m and whole lotta expensive measuring tools. Some day I wanna get a mill and a lathe for the garage

Jal5
01-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Check your shooting range at the first sign of ice melt. Did that for several seasons and picked more brass than i can ever use

Landshark9025
01-05-2016, 08:11 PM
I think I'd be retired if I only saved the money I spent on shooting stuff.

This CAN'T be true! We save so much money on reloading and casting that retirement is only weeks away! There's no way we could be losing money here......right?......right?

In all seriousness, I think you spend the same amount, just now have two hobbies instead of one and a whole new skill set. Plus, working on these puzzles keeps the brain sharp. Stay at it. It's good for mental health.

Cherokee
01-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the reloading world.

Scharfschuetze
01-06-2016, 12:28 AM
In all seriousness, I think you spend the same amount, just now have two hobbies instead of one and a whole new skill set. Plus, working on these puzzles keeps the brain sharp. Stay at it. It's good for mental health.

Yep, I spend what the budget allows; I just get to shoot a whole lot more by casting and reloading for the same dollar. Besides, reloading can be therapeutic... right?

michael.birdsley
01-06-2016, 02:58 AM
Yep, I spend what the budget allows; I just get to shoot a whole lot more by casting and reloading for the same dollar. Besides, reloading can be therapeutic... right?

It is therapeutic. After working a 12 hr shift it helps to calm a person down after dealing with change overs and prototypes that had to be checked yesterday and a myriad of other Qc issues.

Jal5
01-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Its really therapy for me. I spend my work hrs running a counseling center. Reloading hobby lets me see a real product at the end of my labors. Then i shoot the rounds for my group therapy!

OS OK
01-06-2016, 01:36 PM
"Yesterday was just about getting the nerve to shoot them."

Don't worry about that…get your 'mother in law' to shoot them…Don't have a mother in law?…then pay close attention to what you do at the bench!
Sounds like you have a healthy respect for the consequences, that's "common sense" and you have a good dose of that also…good job, well done!

Consider getting a universal de-capping die and do that before you toss the brass into the tumbler or whatever cleaning method you choose…give the primer pocket and the flash holes a chance to get clean too. Everything you hope to accomplish in reloading starts back there in the PP and goes through the FH before the round goes boom.

You have been bitten by the bug…now your a 'brass stuffer". In the years to come you might turn into an 'opinionated old fart' like me!
Semper Fi…charlie

michael.birdsley
01-06-2016, 04:50 PM
"Yesterday was just about getting the nerve to shoot them."

Don't worry about that…get your 'mother in law' to shoot them…Don't have a mother in law?…then pay close attention to what you do at the bench!
Sounds like you have a healthy respect for the consequences, that's "common sense" and you have a good dose of that also…good job, well done!

Consider getting a universal de-capping die and do that before you toss the brass into the tumbler or whatever cleaning method you choose…give the primer pocket and the flash holes a chance to get clean too. Everything you hope to accomplish in reloading starts back there in the PP and goes through the FH before the round goes boom.

You have been bitten by the bug…now your a 'brass stuffer". In the years to come you might turn into an 'opinionated old fart' like me!
Semper Fi…charlie

The Lee universal de-capping die was the first thing I bought after manual decamping 250 9mm pcs lol