PDA

View Full Version : Smith X frame help.

idahoryan
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Hello, fellow shooters!
I am working on a couple of performance center X frame pistols (460 and 500 ) that have the 8 port can compensator/barrel nut hanging off the end. Does anyone know what that compensators torque value is?
I made all my own tooling, which works great I just need to know hard to torque it down. ( its all ready 'good and snugg but I like to be exact )

I have called the performance center at S&W a million times and they never call back, also I contacted John Ross and he doesn't know.

Thanks in advance!!

Idahoryan.

dubber123
04-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, I can't help you with the torque specs, but welcome to the board anyways!

Morgan Astorbilt
04-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Idahoryan, Give me the material, diameter and thread pitch, and I'll get back to you with the proper torque.

Morgan

idahoryan
04-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome dubber!

Mr Astorbilt, its 36 TPI, and the diameter is aprx .698, the barrel nut is a very hard stainless, the barrel is stainless as well. Right now I have them torqued to about 25 FT pounds.

Thanks~
ryan

Morgan Astorbilt
04-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Ryan, That sounds in the ballpark. If they're a close fit thread, you could probably go a bit higher.
I torque my Vais muzzle brakes with a 5/8"-32 (625"-32 thread) 24 lb/ft. I'll get back to you during the week.
Morgan

idahoryan
04-21-2008, 03:58 PM
The guys from the performance center called me back, there is no exact spec on the performance center guns like this one (they are not torqued with a measured wrench, its just as tight as they can get them ) , the standard 500 barrel assembly is 540 inch pounds so that give me a good estimation of where I need to be.

Thanks to all, and hopefully this info will help someone else!!

Morgan Astorbilt
04-22-2008, 02:45 AM
Ryan, that's the same anwer I received to my queries on engineering sites. There is no data to refer to, too many variables.
One fellow gunsmith I asked, on another site, stated: "AR 15 Flash hiders 1/2 x 28 tpi are 15-20 ft lb... with a roughly 1 inch extension from center of torque wrench to center of flashider.. This is from a military technical manual. I've been installing them for 28 yrs"

Re: "as tight as they can get them", I'd be careful!! With over torqueing, stainless has a tendency to gall. If you're worried about loosening, a bit of Loctite #222 will prevent galling, and still allow you to remove the comps. if need by.
Good Luck,
Morgan